Ever get scammed on ebay?

badbob1-36
Community Member

So I purchased a guitar pedal from this seller from china. When the pedal showed up...the pcb board and other components where nothing like the pictures he had of the pedal in the auction. So I decided to intiate a refund through ebay and return the pedal to him. The seller contacted me said he was not authorized to print the shipping label but wants to resolve the dispute. I was very naive and agreed to resolve the matter outside of ebay (my fault). We agreed that he would give me a partial refund and i just keep the pedal so I agreed to a $50US partial refund. So he sends me an invoice which looks like he is sending a refund but really is a payment invoice from him and stupid me  I accept. The funds get deposited into my paypal accound but...2 weeks later he opens a Paypal case against me regarding this invoice saying that I have not added tracking or shipped  a certain mystery item that does not exist.....So it all makes sense now that he knew what he was doing. He paid me with an invoice which looks like he purchased something from me (me thinking he was sending the partial refund of $50US dollars) so now Paypal has sided with him debited the $50US dollars from my paypal account and on top of it Paypal charged me $20 fee for the resolution process.. Anyway...Im **bleep** (maybe more at myself for being stupid enough to try and resolve this outside of ebay. I have all of our conversations and ebay messages between myself and the seller with him agreeing to send me a partial refund...but I think its probly useless at this point. Dont be stupid like me and resolve your issues with Ebay directly no shortcuts!

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Ever get scammed on ebay?

You bought a pedal from a Chinese seller.

It was Not As Described (NAD).

You "initiated a refund" through eBay.

Do you mean you opened an NAD Dispute?
The seller offered a $50 partial refund, rather than pay for a Return Shipping Label and a full refund.

• He then sent you a $50 invoice.
  • You accepted it.
  • Not sure how one accepts an invoice. Normally it is either paid or not paid by the recipient (you).

He sent the $50 refund and you banked it. 

So you did get some money.

2 weeks later he opens a Paypal case against me regarding this invoice saying that I have not added tracking or shipped a certain mystery item that does not exist....

Did you respond to the PP case? Unless the seller can prove delivery he cannot win an Unpaid Item dispute.

Because you did not demand Proof of Delivery you lost the case.

PP charged you $50 and a $20 service fee.

I think this is a learning experience for you.

Dang.

But I would suggest that you Report the seller to the Security Centre at the bottom of this page.

You may also want to contact eBay through the social media.

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

These are written Chats with actual eBay employees not the sad sack undertrained sub-contractors who man the phones in Utah.

Try to keep it simple and don't be emotional. Which can be difficult although you seem pretty sanguine about it all.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply