Has anyone detected a virus on ebay.ca today?

I received an email from eBay this morning for a search I am following. When I opened the email and went to one of the items my anti virus sent me a notification saying a virus had been deleted. I saved the item to my watch as I wasn't sure if it was due to that item. When I went to my watch list a few minutes later my anti virus again sent me a notification saying a virus had been deleted. I am not sure if it is the eBay app itself or the item. The item number is 201965981481. Anyone else having any problems with ebay.ca right now. This needs to be addressed asap. I am now reluctant to go on eBay until this is fixed.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have used Google Chrome for almost 3 years and have never had an issue until this morning. So you know I am using their latest version which was updated about 2 weeks ago. I have now removed the listing from my Watch List and am going to go to my watch again now to see if the problem is still there or not.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I've never had a virus issue with ebay.

What browser are you using?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I have used Google Chrome for almost 3 years and have never had an issue until this morning. So you know I am using their latest version which was updated about 2 weeks ago. I have now removed the listing from my Watch List and am going to go to my watch again now to see if the problem is still there or not.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

When I went to my watch list this time there was no notification from my anti virus of a virus being deleted so makes me wonder if it is the item or just a glitch in the system which is now fixed?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Chrome has well-known issues with eBay pages, and eBay Canada is in the process of upgrading its back-end security encryption. Perhaps the two circumstances in conjunction triggered a false virus-detection message from your software. It's wild speculation.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

nothing wrong here.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I just checked the files which were deleted in the event report for my anti virus. There were 13 incidents. 12 are: malware detected URL: https/ / e.nexac.com. The other one says malware detected URL: https/ / e.nexac.com./ e/ xaxis_ sync.x  My anti virus blocked all of them.

I don't know what these URLs are for but I can't see them all being a false virus detection message. And why did it stop after I deleted the item in question?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Coincidence. None of those are eBay pages.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

It is good to know they are not ebay pages but I hadn't gone to any other sites at the times of the incidents so this is a bit creepy.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I did a quick Google search, and apparently "nexac" is used by companies to track purchases in order to deliver relevant ads.

Since you encountered it on eBay, I'm guessing it was eBay's ads trying to see your past purchase data to give you ads based on what it thinks you want, and your anti-virus picked it up as malware.

It stopped after you deleted those items because those are the items that were triggering your anti-virus program.

But I'm no tech guru, despite my young(er) age.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Exactly what I was returning to say. Thank you.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for checking what the sites were. This makes sense to me. I knew it had something to do with being on eBay because as I said I was only on their site at the time. It is too bad it happened because I was interested in perhaps buying the item I saved but was afraid to go back to it again. It hasn't happened again since then but I am still cautious now when searching.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply