I won an auction but seller changed mind about selling the item and refunded me

Hello there.

Last night I won an auction, paid for the item and then an hour later the seller refunded me and said that he changed his mind and didn’t want to sell the item after all.

I suspect the seller didn’t get as much money as he wanted for the item.

Isn’t this a clear violation of eBay policy? He could have added a reserve price to the listing if he was worried about not getting the price he wanted but since I won the auction fair and square he should have to sell me the item, correct?

I’ve already reported the seller to eBay but what more can I do? Am I able to give him negative feedback?

I’m very annoyed by this. Sellers like this should not be able to post items on eBay!

Thanks for any help on this.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Sadly this does happen often with auction items (has happened to me too). You can leave negative feedback, in fact look and see if maybe the seller already has negative comments about this. If you have reported them to eBay and you leave negative feedback that's all you can do.  If the seller has too many strikes against him he won't be able to continue. I'm not sure how many strikes or how it works exactly (no punishment for doing it once I'm afraid) but get your two cents in, it will help towards smartening the seller up!

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for your response. I left them negative feedback. Hopefully EBay strikes them hard.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I would not cancel personally i'm not doing much auctions cause i'm scare of this situation to have no visibility and no one bid. But once in a while i think it's understandable. I already seen a bundle nintendo wii going for $8 + $15 shipping, it was like a $500-$1000 bundle ( can't believe i missed to bid )... But yeah if price was not ridiculously a steal like my exemple and an undestandable cancel, sellers clearly deserve a negative

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

New sellers are defaulted into Auctions.

The easiest way to avoid this situation is to buy only through Fixed Price listings. The seller has set the price he wants and will stand by it.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply