Is it possible that a seller changed the description of the item I purchased AFTER I paid?

capergal
Community Member

I recently agreed to purchase a hammock stand from a supposedly reputable seller.  Long story short, I received the hammock pictured, not the hammock stand that was described.  I would never pay that kind of money for a hammock, especially since I already own two!  The same picture was used in multiple ads by the same seller.  I showed my daughter the ad before buying and again later and she, too, swears that the description I received in the confirmation was NOT the same description as in the original ad.  A line had been deleted at the top and a line with tiny print had been added at the bottom stating the stand was not included...  Seriously, if it had said that in the beginning, why would I have ordered it???  I typed in 'hammock stands' in the search box for one thing and I read every ad thoroughly before agreeing to buy.

As a Canadian, I not only paid the US seller in US funds which upped the price substantially, but I also paid for the shipping and import fees (the latter is a farce by the way).  When I contacted the seller, they just sent me a screenshot of the "altered" ad.  I checked with Ebay and the rules state that a seller CAN changed the item description up to a certain point, but I feel that somehow the seller got around that and changed it AFTER my purchase was processed and paid for.

I later checked the negative comments for the seller and guess what?  Another buyer who purchased the exact same product and same item #, thought he was purchasing a hammock stand too, not a hammock.   Hmmm.

When I checked into returning the item, I would have to pay return shipping costs because the seller claims the description was accurate and I'm unable to prove otherwise.  $34+ to return it!  No thanks.  I sold it privately and cut my losses.

Has anyone else had this sort of experience?  I have been a buyer for five years and from dozens of purchases, have never had a negative experience until now.  Steer clear of tootobear would be my advice. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is it possible that a seller changed the description of the item I purchased AFTER I paid?

I don't consider myself infallible, so it is possible that with hammocks and hammock stands coming up when I searched "hammock stands", I mixed up the ads.  I checked my Paypal account and the description seems to be the same as the seller's; however, it is connected to the posting on Ebay so it makes sense that the link description would be identical.  

I've learned a valuable lesson, but I'm still suspicious and another person had the same thing happen to them with this seller and this item.  One of those revisions was made after I paid for my purchase, but before I received the item.  Even the item title description as it now reads is ambiguous.  It could be a hammock chair or it could be a hammock bed at first glance.

330 Lb. Outdoor Swing Chair Hanging Camping Cotton Double Bed Patio Canvas Hammock

I will definitely read every word of the description and print out any description from now on BEFORE paying for an item.  

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.  

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

"Is it possible that a seller changed the description of the item I purchased AFTER I paid?"

NO.

The seller has sold hundreds of the same items and you are the one complaining.  You already left negative feedback.  Had you considered contacting the seller first (Top Rated Seller with 99.6% feedback rating)?

I suspect you simply misread the listing stating in bold "Stand, S-hooks and chains not included".

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You can go to Paypal and see the original listing from there for several months.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

On the left of the item listing, just above "Item Specifics" you can "View All Revisions".  There was a change in description for the hammock made October 26, and previously August 14.  If either of these dates seem connected to your purchase, you can call eBay and ask if the changes pertained to the inclusion of a stand.

However, I can see that this seller has many other listings that are clearly for hammock stands.  Is it possible you became confused by the multiple listings for hammocks, hammock stands, etc. and inadvertently clicked on what you bought instead of what you intended to buy?  For what it's worth, the cost of the hammock stands is considerably more than what you paid.  And you have managed to sell the hammock and "cut your losses" as you say.  You may have to chalk this up to experience.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Is it possible that a seller changed the description of the item I purchased AFTER I paid?"

NO.

Yes, if it is a multi-quantity ad. If it was a BIN listing for one item or an auction, then no, it is not possible.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If a description is changed in a multiple quantity fixed price listings, the original listing - prior to the revision - is always visible to the buyer(s) who purchased prior to the revisions.

It has been that way ever since eBay allowed changes after the first purchase.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I don't consider myself infallible, so it is possible that with hammocks and hammock stands coming up when I searched "hammock stands", I mixed up the ads.  I checked my Paypal account and the description seems to be the same as the seller's; however, it is connected to the posting on Ebay so it makes sense that the link description would be identical.  

I've learned a valuable lesson, but I'm still suspicious and another person had the same thing happen to them with this seller and this item.  One of those revisions was made after I paid for my purchase, but before I received the item.  Even the item title description as it now reads is ambiguous.  It could be a hammock chair or it could be a hammock bed at first glance.

330 Lb. Outdoor Swing Chair Hanging Camping Cotton Double Bed Patio Canvas Hammock

I will definitely read every word of the description and print out any description from now on BEFORE paying for an item.  

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I did contact the seller prior to leaving any feedback.  I simply wasn't satisfied with their explanation.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply