Paid For Item But Says Payment is Pending?

roadr0
Community Member

What's going on? The seller says he hasn't received the payment yet, but the money was taken off my bank account... What do I do? Is it because I paid using VISA instead of PayPal? thanks

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

If you paid using a credit card directly, it’s not coming from your bank account. It’s coming from your credit card, whether it’s presently authorized or completely posted.

So, no. That kind of delay would only occur if you wrote an e-cheque through PayPal and the funds were coming from a bank account.

Is it possible your seller is inexperienced and thinks the mandatory 21-day hold on new sellers means he’s not supposed to ship it until the Hold is lifted?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Thank you for the reply. I used my debit card to make the payment, not my credit card. Does ebay count debit as a credit card??
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I don’t understand.

Your original post says VISA.

What is a VISA debit card?
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I chose to pay with my debit card in the confirm and pay page and it shows a visa icon beside the card numbers. I'm sorry i'm new here
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I see. Visa debit card. I don’t know if those clear immediately or take as long to clear as an echeque. Perhaps another seller with experience in this arena can help. If not, you’ll have to call Customer Service to clarify it.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Okay thank you for the help I appreciate it
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Wait. What? You can’t pay using your debit card unless you do so through PayPal as far as I know. eBay probably thinks it’s a credit card because that’s the only thing that’s supposed to be used through a guest checkout.

To clarify: you used your debit card number? Or you used a VISA debit like the kind you can get from a bank?
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I used my visa debit card that I got from the bank.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Okay. So the only question remaining is how long payments funded by that source take to clear. After the money comes from you it needs to be transferred to the seller’s method of accepting payment which is probably PayPal. It could be up to ten businesses days from purchase.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

A debit card is like a  cheque written on your bank account- just electronically-- where the limit is the amount you have in your bank account.

And that has to clear the banking system.

This usually takes about five days, longer if your seller is in a different country with a different banking system.

Your credit card (usually) has a higher limit than your debit card.

And is truly instant.

By the way, apparently in the USA credit cards also act as debit cards somehow.

The owner can choose to use the bank account or the line of credit* on the card.

*Which is again different from a 'line of credit' like one you might take out to finance the renovation of your kitchen and is usually based on your collateral like a house or stock holdings.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Visa debit card is available  apparently from all major Canadian banks. Do a Google search on Visa debit card and you will see offerings from TD, Royal Bank, Scotia Bank CIBC. The advantage of a Visa debit card apparently is that where ever Visa credit cards worldwide are taken, a visa debit card is allowed. Funds are transferred from your bank account attached to the Visa debit card when paying and no credit charges are charged. Transaction fees probably apply.

I do not own a Visa debit card but gathered this information from a Google search.

Wikipedia has an entry on visa debit cards. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Debit

MasterCard also seems to offer a MasterCard debit card if I searched on MasterCard debit card in Google.

Also  there is a Wikipedia entry for a MasterCard debit card.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_Mastercard

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Yes, but they still draw on your bank balance. My debit cards are like that.

There are transaction fees if you use your savings account, but not if you use your chequing account.

If you have $500 in the bank, you can't spend more than $500 with your debit card. And, online, the 'e-check' has to clear the banking system which must ascertain that you in fact have that $500.

And then there are gift cards.....

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

So my takeaway from this is that if a buyer is using a VISA Debit card, it takes just as long to clear as it would with the dreaded e-cheques through paypal, am I understanding this correctly? As long as ten business days?

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

paid but seller hasent been paid yet...i to use a visa reloadable card to pay for all my items and never had a problem useing it before and seller got money right away but today i paid useing it about 4 hours ago and seller said he never recieved it..but ebay sent me a invoice saying its paid and will let me know when seller ships..am i getting scammed by the seller..thanks

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

sorry should have waited bit longer before this post alls good the buyer did get his money,,so my conclusion is sometimes i guess when useing visa loadable cards it might take a few hours before seller recieves it...just happened to me..thanks..
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@190969b

The questions of e-cheques (paid from bank balance) and of new sellers whose customer payments are being Held come up constantly.

Your addition of a new wrinkle (pre-paid/reloadable cards) is helpful. Thank you.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply