Problem with payment

xen999
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I recently won an auction from a first time seller and paid immediately when the listing ended. The next day, my payment was showing as "pending" and that got me worried. I searched what this could mean and it looked as though the problem was originating from the seller using an unverified or misspelled Paypal email address, so I contacted the seller with this information and indeed, he confirmed the email used was not the correct one and that he has now changed it. Following this, I canceled the payment that was stuck in limbo with the intent of making a new payment, however ebay is not giving me any checkout option to do just that, in fact I still have the "payment is pending" note next to my order. Also, in my Paypal account, the refund for the first payment is "pending" with no indication of how long the refund process will take. Can anyone offer any guidance?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Problem with payment

Your original payment would have come from your balance, bank account or credit card immediately.

When you retracted the payment, a balance is credited almost immediately, the return to the credit card goes to the card not your balance, and the bank account-- well those get called e-cheques and while the money came out of your account, it had to clear both the Canadian and the American banking systems (PP is not a bank) before being credited to your seller's account.

Then when it did clear and the refund is noted, the whole process slowly backs up again.

So.

A while. Maybe even a couple of weeks if you back your PP account with a bank balance.

The fastest and most secure is using a card to back your account, giving you eBay's Money Back Guarantee, Paypal's Buyer Protection, and your card's chargeback policy as protection in case of problems.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Problem with payment

I've read this on Paypal about canceling pending payments:

"You can only cancel a pending payment that has a 'Cancel' link next to it. If the payment you sent pending for 30 days, it will be cancelled automatically and refunded to you. If you sent the payment using a Debit or Credit card, the refund will credit to the card used. It may take up to 30 days for the card to be credited. If you sent your payment using a bank account and the payment is cancelled, it will be refunded to your PayPal balance. If the payment has not cleared your bank yet, please allow 3-4 business days for the funds to appear in your balance. Once the payment is in your balance you can withdraw the funds to your bank account."

I paid using my bank account so it looks like the refund will be processed in 3-4 business days from what I gather from that. Will I be able to make a new payment through ebay once this is all cleared though?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Problem with payment

You should be able to.

Or you could use Paypal's Send Money service to pay directly (not through eBay) and manually mark the transaction Paid on eBay.

This is not the same as an off-eBay transaction, since the seller will be paying the eBay fees when you mark the transaction Paid.

I would ask the seller to send me the tracking number for the shipment and follow it carefully.  Usually following tracking is a fool's errand. But your seller may need more coaching.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply