Remote Control Question

Hi everyone!  This is my first post. I have 2 identical make and model vintage dvd players I'm trying to sell  Problem is player 1 works while player 2 turns on fine but has a problem actually reading the DVD disc. I tried cleaning the lens but nothing worked. That said, I have found only 1 remote. The remote works with player 2, but does not with player 1. I tested each of them completely separate and it seems the remote is factory set to work with player 2.  I really want to add a remote to player 1. My question is how do remotes get sold on Ebay and work units they did not originally get sold with. Is there a way to reset it? Does it depend on the model?  These are Yahoo! brand. Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Remote Control Question

It's different for every brand and often model. You need to find the manual. Here's an example I have for pairing a Bell satellite remote:

Before you begin, remember to insert fresh batteries!

1. Press SYS INFO on the front of the receiver.
  2. Press and hold SAT until SAT, TV, AUX and VCR light up.
  3. Release SAT. It will start to flash.
  4. Choose a random number between 0 and 16 and enter it. This will reset the frequency the remote uses to communicate with the receiver.
  5. Press #.
  6. Press Record. The remote address field on the System Info screen will display the number you selected.
  7. Press Done. You will now be able to control the receiver.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Remote Control Question

byto253
Community Member

If research through searches does not come up with an answer or manual with the answere, I would look for a home theater/audio discussion group and post the question there as I am sure the question has come up a lot.

Also try generic searches for re-setting factory remotes, etc.  

If not luck see what your remote fetches on ebay on its own.   If the DVD player is a worth a good amount of coin, you can also look locally on Kijiji, facebook marketplace, etc. to try and get an inexpensive Harmony remote.  I do this as they pretty well work with anything.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Remote Control Question

Great idea I will try there. Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Remote Control Question

I don't have a manual but I will try to find some info on the brand. Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply