Sellers frustrated at item not as described abuse.

Ebay has problems with both buyers and sellers who will try take advantage of policies and buyer protection. Sellers need more protection from Ebay when buyers claim item not as described which puts the seller at a disadvantage to pay return shipping costs. As a buyer, you should receive the item listed and expected, as well as in working order if stated in listing. Ebay policy for returns differs from their dispute ruling due to buyer protection and statements made by Paypal which will favor buyers. This would explain many cases ruled against sellers even though the seller shows evidence of buyer abuse. As a seller,if your listing says no returns, buyer protection over rules it. In todays world, business is a revolving door with buyers and sellers entering and leaving. Some leaving due to decisions made against them but the volume of buyers and sellers remain the same with new members every day. The majority of Ebay members are honest and enjoy buying and selling at the worlds best prices. The people who take advantage with scams and dishonesty are a total nightmare for Ebay and its members. Recently I had to deal with a buyer claiming the 'item not as described' after the buyer had item in their possession for 11 days. Ebay ruled against me until I spent over an hour on the phone with a call center supervisor who then ruled in both my and buyers favor,credited my paypal account,reimbursed the buyer and item was kept by buyer. Ebay ended up losing money and for the sake of honesty,restored my faith in selling. Many others are not as fortunate. Its not just Ebay that needs a solution to this problem, it belongs to all of us. Should we begin a video portal of what is packaged,what is received? It will be a sad day if we had to resort to that. I'm hoping someone has a solution. Any idea's?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

White space and paragraphing are your friends.

Ebay policy for returns differs from their dispute ruling due to buyer protection and statements made by Paypal which will favor buyers.

Buyers are protected by eBay , by Paypal, and by the chargeback policy of any credit card used to back a Paypal account.

Three different businesses, three different policies.

As a seller,if your listing says no returns, buyer protection over rules it.

You can refuse returns. You cannot refuse refunds.

And both eBay and Paypal allow the seller to demand the return of the goods, even if the seller's policy is No Returns. The only question is who pays for the (tracked) return.

If the item is returned, both companies will insist the buyer be refunded.

Recently I had to deal with a buyer claiming the 'item not as described' after the buyer had item in their possession for 11 days.

At last! The actual problem.

call center supervisor who then ruled in both my and buyers favor,credited my paypal account,reimbursed the buyer and item was kept by buyer.

EBay made a courtesy refund to you, but did not demand that the buyer return the unwanted item.

Should we begin a video portal of what is packaged,what is received?

There is no way to determine if what is put in a package is what is delivered to the post office. 

Videos are a waste of time, unless you plan to open a court case.  (In which case, the judge might be suspicious of why you were going to all that trouble instead of writing off the loss of a 99c packet of seeds.)

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Hello reallynicestamps. Thank you for your input. If a buyer claims "item not as described", the seller pays return tracked shipping because Ebay policy finds the seller at fault.
By you using the word courtesy refund, you nailed it. I don't beleive this happens every day with a happy outcome for both sides.
As for the video portal, its way over the top and it was meant as a sarcastic suggestion followed by "it would be a sad day".
This issue was not a 99c pack of seeds. It was a $300 technical instrument.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply