tax and import !!! I need help!

ttdnn
Community Member

I purchased a dress from China for my daughter and the price is $37.23 CAD shipping is $26 59. The question is when the DHL deliver the dress I have to pay and extra $21.79 for tax and import. ... I mean, the dress value is not that much.... why do I have to pay that much? What value assessment that they base on and how many percent are they count on ? ... If anyone know how to or where to call and claim this money back, please help me because i don't think is worsted for the dress to pay that much .... I can provide, receipt from ebay or what ever i have to do ... but to pay for this is a pain ... Thank you all ...

Trina  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

"why do I have to pay that much?"

Why?  because that is the law.

Imports over Cdn$ 20.00 are subject to taxes (GST/HST/PST) and duty is applicable. In addition, most carrier charge a fee to handle Customs duty and taxes (Canada Post charges $9.95 every time in addition to taxes and duty).

$21.79 seems about right.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If I buy item less than 20 $ (19 $ for example ) from china with free shipping

how much I will pay ? only 19$

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Please refer to the official Government of Canada webpage:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Keep in mind that the Canadian postal tax exemption is based in Canadian dollar.

US$19 is currently slightly more than Cdn$ 20.00

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you pierrelebel for your fast response and help

how I know that the item is "duty-free and tax exempt"

this time I buy http://www.ebay.com/itm/200996717677?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and I wait for it

next time I want to buy laptop from USA what will the total cost for http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-VIAO-15-Laptop-PCG-7184L-/331083107082?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item4d1617...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The $2 item (cable) is tax free.  No worry.

The US$150 laptop is taxable and the listing clearly states:

Import charges:$24.42 (estimated and based on current bid)  
That amount includes taxes (rates vary by province) and a handling fee (lower than $9.95 Canada Post would have charged)

So you should have paid the price of the item, the shipping charge and the import charge.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

It's not where you bought the laptop, it's where it was manufactured.

Unless it was made in Mexico, USA, Canada, or Chile, it does not fall under NAFTA and is subject to duty.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

In order for NAFTA to take in effect, the importer would of had to fill out a certificate of origin and then it would of had to of been approved.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Off topic for now,

Merry Christmas to all board contributors.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply