August 14th Weekly Board Hour

Hi everyone,

Raphael & I will be your hosts for the hour - looking forward to your questions!

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: August 14th Weekly Board Hour

Why is it When you click on a members feedback number on the left side it takes you to ebay.com

In order to get to ebay.ca you have to copy and paste the members ID into the advanced search.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Hello - Yes, I've noticed I've been getting bounced all over the place onto eBay.com lately.  It's a bit annoying and time-consuming trying to get back to where I was.  Just another "change pain" at eBay?

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@toby_le_pue wrote:

Why is it When you click on a members feedback number on the left side it takes you to ebay.com

In order to get to ebay.ca you have to copy and paste the members ID into the advanced search.

Hi toby_le_pue,

Thanks for pointing that out - the View listings is also going to .com - it's an open discussion at this point. The goal is to have them redirect to .ca instead, stay tuned for a fix.

Thanks, 

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

This is a bit of a technical question, but I'd be happy to have an answer if you know it.  I've noticed lately that some of my listings are popping up on other sites - I presume they're being cut and pasted.  This is fine with me (free advertising!), but on one I saw a "BUY NOW" button.  I was a bit shocked, but clicked it to see what would happen, and it linked me directly back to the listing on eBay.

Now, I'd love to be able to do this myself (maybe even with the "Buy Now" button too!).  Since I own the content of my listings, I'm assuming there's no copyright problem in doing so, just a technical one, and I'm a bit of a techno-idiot.  Any idea how I could do this?  If so, is it easy enough for a non-geek to do? 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hello - Yes, I've noticed I've been getting bounced all over the place onto eBay.com lately.  It's a bit annoying and time-consuming trying to get back to where I was.  Just another "change pain" at eBay?

Hi rose-dee,

Mind dropping me an email with all the links that point to .com instead of .ca? I'm curious to know what areas of the site these are occurring in.

Thanks, 

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Since I'm here, another question (for Raphael probably).  You may recall a query of mine a few weeks ago about "Business Policies".  I've seen some sellers really upset about having opted in, finding them difficult, confusing and frustrating to use, then trying to "opt out" but being unable to do so. 

Is this policy mandatory for .ca yet?  If so, any further word on whether those of us who already have our "business policies" set up through such services as Auctiva, would be able to be exempted? 

I contacted Auctiva, and they told me they have not been informed of anything by eBay with respect to coordinating this function, or even when this policy would become mandatory.  I'm really concerned, because if I'm forced to opt in to eBay's "business policies" it will mean a massive amount of time spent revising my listings (some of which are in Auctiva frames and may be impossible to do anyway) and/or re-writing everything I've done before to set these up.

Any update would be much appreciated.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Hello gentlemen,

Would you please pass this on to the Paypal shipping people.

If I go into Paypal shipping and immediately input the information for tracked packet, it works fine.

But if I first get a price for another service and then try to use tracked packet, the following message comes up

'The Shipment Option you have chosen is invalid. Please verify the amount you have entered.'

The only way to then get the TP to work is to back out of that particular transaction and then go back into. TP has to be the first service entered or it won't work. It's been like that ever since the tracked packet function has worked.

Thanks

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

This was pointed out about 6 weeks ago and your answer was the same

Stay Tuned but don't hold your breath.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

This is a bit of a technical question, but I'd be happy to have an answer if you know it.  I've noticed lately that some of my listings are popping up on other sites - I presume they're being cut and pasted.  This is fine with me (free advertising!), but on one I saw a "BUY NOW" button.  I was a bit shocked, but clicked it to see what would happen, and it linked me directly back to the listing on eBay.

Now, I'd love to be able to do this myself (maybe even with the "Buy Now" button too!).  Since I own the content of my listings, I'm assuming there's no copyright problem in doing so, just a technical one, and I'm a bit of a techno-idiot.  Any idea how I could do this?  If so, is it easy enough for a non-geek to do? 

Hi rose-dee,

Can you provide a link so I can see an example of what you want to do?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Hi Kalvin - The problem is that it happens so often that I get bounced around from .ca to .com, that it's hard to pinpoint an exact link. 

Like "toby", I find I have to sign back in (still on .com), then go to the main page, look for the eBay site map, click on the Canadian flag, which takes me back to .ca, or sometimes requires me to sign in again on .ca.  I'm not even sure I would know how to save the links involved so I could send them to you.  However, I'll see what I can do next time I get "bounced" around and will pass it on if I can. 

This can be annoying, especially if you're in the middle of something and it takes several minutes to get back to square one. 

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Raphael - The "Buy It Now" button item was a while ago, I don't think it exists anymore, but I'll see if I can find a more recent one. 

What I'd like to do basically is copy a listing or two of mine onto another website or social media site or blog, and have it link directly back to my eBay item when it's clicked.  I seem to recall this function was available some time ago on eBay (and encouraged), but the technical jargon was beyond me, so I couldnt' get it to work properly.  I was just hoping the feature might have been simplified in the meantime by eBay.  Thanks!

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Since I'm here, another question (for Raphael probably).  You may recall a query of mine a few weeks ago about "Business Policies".  I've seen some sellers really upset about having opted in, finding them difficult, confusing and frustrating to use, then trying to "opt out" but being unable to do so. 

Is this policy mandatory for .ca yet?  If so, any further word on whether those of us who already have our "business policies" set up through such services as Auctiva, would be able to be exempted? 

I contacted Auctiva, and they told me they have not been informed of anything by eBay with respect to coordinating this function, or even when this policy would become mandatory.  I'm really concerned, because if I'm forced to opt in to eBay's "business policies" it will mean a massive amount of time spent revising my listings (some of which are in Auctiva frames and may be impossible to do anyway) and/or re-writing everything I've done before to set these up.

Any update would be much appreciated.

Business Policies is not yet mandatory in Canada, and there isn't any date set for those to become mandatory as of now. As for the connection with your policies set in Auctiva with eBay's, I haven't found the answer to that yet but it stands to think that is Business Policies becomes mandatory on eBay.ca, you likely will have to set them again within eBay.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Just to put in my 2 cents...The only time I have ever noticed a jump from .ca to .com is when on the forums and by clicking on view listings...as pointed out by toby. I haven't noticed that problem any other time. Rose is it possible that you have done that and then have continued doing something on the page that has popped up..not realizing that page came up on .com?

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Kalvin - The problem is that it happens so often that I get bounced around from .ca to .com, that it's hard to pinpoint an exact link. 

Like "toby", I find I have to sign back in (still on .com), then go to the main page, look for the eBay site map, click on the Canadian flag, which takes me back to .ca, or sometimes requires me to sign in again on .ca.  I'm not even sure I would know how to save the links involved so I could send them to you.  However, I'll see what I can do next time I get "bounced" around and will pass it on if I can. 

This can be annoying, especially if you're in the middle of something and it takes several minutes to get back to square one. 

Agreed, that can absolutely be annoying - we'd definitely be interested to see if there's something we can do to correct that. The only "bouncing around" activity I'm aware of at this point is the one that was pointed out earlier in this thread. If you are able to keep track (even without the actual URLs) of what you clicked on so we can try & retrace your steps, that'd be helpful.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hello gentlemen,

Would you please pass this on to the Paypal shipping people.

If I go into Paypal shipping and immediately input the information for tracked packet, it works fine.

But if I first get a price for another service and then try to use tracked packet, the following message comes up

'The Shipment Option you have chosen is invalid. Please verify the amount you have entered.'

The only way to then get the TP to work is to back out of that particular transaction and then go back into. TP has to be the first service entered or it won't work. It's been like that ever since the tracked packet function has worked.

Thanks

Hi pjcdn2005,

We've flagged this to PayPal repeatedly and I'm surprised that the problem is still there. I'll reach out to them again and press the issue. Thanks for bringing it up again.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Thanks Raphael, but from what I've heard so far about "business policies", they are a disaster to set up and use.  I don't know whether these were US sellers speaking on the Cdn boards, but it sounded terrible. 

In this case I'd say the later it's mandatory in Canada, the better.  In the meantime, I'll keep checking with Auctiva to see if they are planning to talk to eBay about somehow synchronizing the two features, because Auctiva's work beautifully, seamlessly and flawlessly. 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Raphael - The "Buy It Now" button item was a while ago, I don't think it exists anymore, but I'll see if I can find a more recent one. 

What I'd like to do basically is copy a listing or two of mine onto another website or social media site or blog, and have it link directly back to my eBay item when it's clicked.  I seem to recall this function was available some time ago on eBay (and encouraged), but the technical jargon was beyond me, so I couldnt' get it to work properly.  I was just hoping the feature might have been simplified in the meantime by eBay.  Thanks!

You have social "share" buttons right on the listing page (above the section where your user ID is located), which allows you to post a link to your item directly to Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest, as well as send a link via email. Other than that, if you wnated to "embed" one of your listings on your blog for example, you could always capture an image of the listing and make it link to your item page's URL with some simple HTML tagging. I can't get into much more details here on how that's done but the web had plenty of resources to teaks you how to achieve this very simple task.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Thanks Raphael, but from what I've heard so far about "business policies", they are a disaster to set up and use.  I don't know whether these were US sellers speaking on the Cdn boards, but it sounded terrible. 

In this case I'd say the later it's mandatory in Canada, the better.  In the meantime, I'll keep checking with Auctiva to see if they are planning to talk to eBay about somehow synchronizing the two features, because Auctiva's work beautifully, seamlessly and flawlessly. 

Not to discredit anyone's opinion of BP's performance, but keeping in mind that our internal performance assessment for this new product was highly positive, I think what you read are the reviews of people whom haven't embraced the change. There will always be some for whom new features don't work, whatever the reason may be. I assure you however that for the vast majority of sellers, BP works very well.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
I can't get into much more details here on how that's done but the web had plenty of resources to teaks you how to achieve this very simple task.

Well, in my case "very simple task" may have a different reality than in yours Smiley LOL  I don't even know what "HTML tagging" means, so that gives you some idea of my level of proficiency with programming. 

Someday I'll spend a few hours searching and see what I can come up with.  I just thought some brilliant IT type at eBay might have come up with an idiot-proof, push-button way of doing this.  Obviously somebody else out there knew what to do with my listing!

Message 20 of 22
latest reply