October 14th 2015 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly session. Today I'll be around for most of the day and as usual, will come reply to you on & off until the end of the day. If needed, we may also keep the threat open overnight.

Here are the issues I am currently tracking:

• UPC codes suddenly not recognized on live listings (mjwl2006)

And the issues for which I have had news:

• Fixed: SYI stripping the weight off when switching back to USD on an item that was originally in USD and set up with calculated shipping (block36)
  • Full shipping FVF charged on combined orders with discounted shipping (dutchman48) - The billing team is investigating on this.
  • Listings allowed to go live without a photo (rose-dee) - This is a known bug that is being worked on.
  • SYI stripping Item Specifics when attempting to update Handling price or time (mjwl2006) - bug has been logged and work has begun.
  • SYI preventing relist and Sell Similar if the original listing had a non compliant photo (pierrelebel) - problem has been identified and work has begun.
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: October 14th 2015 Weekly Session

@pierrelebel wrote:

The relisted number is 371462669131

The earlier listing number was 391281862948

Thanks Pierre. I easily recreated the issue. I have sent this over to the appropriate team.

When you got the warning in BEAR, did it allow you to list anyway or did it block the listing from being relisted?

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

Hello

I have had a days worth of listings removed from ebay. I received a notice saying the following " After reviewing your eBay account, it looks like you haven't followed our Compilation and Informational Media policy." I have no idea what I did wrong, I can no longer see the listings so I can't review them. Whatever I did I must have done it to every listing ,which is strange. Is there a way for me to see what I did incorrectly in my listings.

Thanks 

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

"did it allow you to list anyway or did it block the listing from being relisted?"

It gives me the option to "fix" the listing(s) not approved or list only those approved.

I have learned from extensive experience that attempting to "fix" does not work, never, ever.

So I simply accept to relist (or sell similar) those accepted and manually relist (or sell similar) those rejected by eBay.

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Here is an annoying quirk or bug or glitch, whatever you want to call it. It has been going on for a year or so.

In the eBay.ca Sell Your Item form, I use a saved starter template for creating new listings. Best Offer is always turned on when I start a new listing with the default template (my default one, I have several older versions saved as part of the 10 allowed). I have tried to fix this by turning off Best Offer when I edit the template but it is always on when I use the starter template. I then have to remember to uncheck the Best Offer option but I forget occasionally. No one has made a Best Offer so not a problem with buyers but this is as annoying as can be.

Two possible solutions.

1) Make the template override the new listing Best Offer being added.

2) Make Best offer an option in the SYI Add or Remove options so that I can have it not show at all as it is a feature I will never use.

PS On eBay.com my saved template there always has Best Offer turned off and works correctly.

Hi pocomo,

Thanks for flagging this. I'll need some time to investigate.

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi Raphael,

Although this hasn't affected me so far, I do have to agree with merritt that defaulting to Canadian currency with sell similar even when the listing was originally listed in U.S. dollars really doesn't make sense. I believe that the official reason this was done is because sell similar is considered to be a 'new' listing, rather than a relisted one but if that is the case, why do all or most other fields remain the same? The fact is that many of us use sell similar to 'relist' and I fail to see why ebay chooses to make a distinction in this case.  Even IF sell similar was used strictly for new listings, chances are that if the seller previously listed in U.S. dollars, they want to do the new listing in U.S. dollars as well so why arbitrarily change the original number to Canadian dollars?

When it was announced that UPC codes were mandatory in some categories, ebay took the same stance and deleted UPC information from sell similar listings but shortly after they changed that so I'm surprised that .ca is taking a similar stance that has shown not to work in the past.

Hi pjcdn2005,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Regarding the UPC codes getting stripped, that was not the expected behaviour, which is why it was fixed afterwards.

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Here is another annoying quirk or bug or glitch in the SYI form with starter templates on eBay.ca.

The starter template must have a photo or you cannot go to the second page. It requires a photo. This started lst all when requiring a photo was strictly enforced. Since it is a starter template, it should be able to save the template without a photo. When using the starter template to create a listing, the photo is required (at least one photo) so no way to list without a photo.

On eBay.com had the same problem for a while but it allows saving the starter template without a photo. But it is actually adding an eBay default photo which needs to be deleted when you use the starter template and then you add your photos. It seems their fix to this problem was to add one eBay dummy photo to the starter template.

My problem is that I sometimes forget to change the saved photo (using a photo of my dog Daisy). I would prefer to have the eBay dummy photo listed accidentally than sell my dog by mistake, lol.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Also, dogs aren't allowed for sale on eBay. 🙂

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

@taffy1448 wrote:

Hello

I have had a days worth of listings removed from ebay. I received a notice saying the following " After reviewing your eBay account, it looks like you haven't followed our Compilation and Informational Media policy." I have no idea what I did wrong, I can no longer see the listings so I can't review them. Whatever I did I must have done it to every listing ,which is strange. Is there a way for me to see what I did incorrectly in my listings.

Thanks 

Hi taffy1448,

Here are the details of the Compilation and Informational Media policy:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/compilation.html

Not knowing what you were trying to list and how, I can't really tell what was wrong. Feel free to reach me in a private email if you would like to discuss more.

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

Everyone,

I have to leave for now but will leave the thread open and come back in the morning to respond & close the session. Have a good evening!

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

Hi Raphael,

I recently started experimenting with shipping discounts on some of my small, lighter items (trading cards). I set up the shipping discount rules in my preferences, and checked the appropriate boxes on the SYI form. However, I noticed that on the live listing, it didn't show the shipping discount for domestic Canadian-based locations. If I changed my location to U.S. then it showed the discount fine. To complicate matters, when I "Preview" my listing prior to finalizing/submitting it, it shows the shipping discount perfectly fine for domestic orders - so there appears to be some disconnect between the preview and the actual listing.

After much trial and error I finally got the shipping discount to show on domestic Canadian orders; I had to remove my "local pick-up" shipping option, and then it seemingly showed up fine. However, ideally, I'd like to give local buyers the option to pick up the items, as well as give non-local buyers the option to purchase multiples with the shipping discount.

So, my questions:

• Is it simply not possible to have local pick-up AND a combined shipping discount in the same listing? If so, why? And why does it show up fine with the shipping discount when 'previewing' the listing (i.e. why is there a disconnect between preview and live listings)?

Thanks for your time.

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

Hi Raphael,

I've only now, at this late hour, had a chance to come to this Board .... I'm glad you're not closing it until tomorrow morning.

All I wanted to say was that the carryover of UPC's using Sell Similar or Relist seems to be working fine now.  Thank you very much for your attention to this.

Message 30 of 38
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

Hi Raphael,

I recently started experimenting with shipping discounts on some of my small, lighter items (trading cards). I set up the shipping discount rules in my preferences, and checked the appropriate boxes on the SYI form. However, I noticed that on the live listing, it didn't show the shipping discount for domestic Canadian-based locations. If I changed my location to U.S. then it showed the discount fine. To complicate matters, when I "Preview" my listing prior to finalizing/submitting it, it shows the shipping discount perfectly fine for domestic orders - so there appears to be some disconnect between the preview and the actual listing.

After much trial and error I finally got the shipping discount to show on domestic Canadian orders; I had to remove my "local pick-up" shipping option, and then it seemingly showed up fine. However, ideally, I'd like to give local buyers the option to pick up the items, as well as give non-local buyers the option to purchase multiples with the shipping discount.

So, my questions:

• Is it simply not possible to have local pick-up AND a combined shipping discount in the same listing? If so, why? And why does it show up fine with the shipping discount when 'previewing' the listing (i.e. why is there a disconnect between preview and live listings)?

Thanks for your time.

Hi dinomitesales,

Can you please provide an item number for a listing that exhibits this behaviour? Thanks.

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

"I have to leave for now "

How did you enjoy the 7th inning?

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"I have to leave for now "

How did you enjoy the 7th inning?

I have no more nails on my left hand and I may have wetted the sofa a little. I can neither confirm nor deny the latter part of my statement.

All joking aside, what a game. When Bautista hit that 3 run homer I could hear the roar from the stadium, even though I live about 1 km away! I wish there were less cans thrown on the field and on lower seats though.

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

When switching to .com listings recently, I discovered that it's not possible to separate Canada (as an "international" destination on the .com SYI form) from other international destinations for purposes of applying my promotional shipping rule (buy 4, get free shipping). 

What I want to do is have my promo shipping rule apply to U.S. and Canadian orders, but not international orders, as international shipping is just too expensive to provide free shipping on multi-item orders.  As it stands, the "apply my promotional shipping rule" box is connected to all international shipping services on the .com SYI form, even if I separate Canada from other international destinations for purposes of stating different shipping services/rates.  

Is there any way you know of to work around this limitation?

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

When switching to .com listings recently, I discovered that it's not possible to separate Canada (as an "international" destination on the .com SYI form) from other international destinations for purposes of applying my promotional shipping rule (buy 4, get free shipping). 

What I want to do is have my promo shipping rule apply to U.S. and Canadian orders, but not international orders, as international shipping is just too expensive to provide free shipping on multi-item orders.  As it stands, the "apply my promotional shipping rule" box is connected to all international shipping services on the .com SYI form, even if I separate Canada from other international destinations for purposes of stating different shipping services/rates.  

Hi rose-dee,

I would have to look at the specific rule you're applying and a couple of example listings. Can you send me those details by email?

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi rose-dee,

I would have to look at the specific rule you're applying and a couple of example listings. Can you send me those details by email?

Yes, I'll do that in a few minutes, thanks. 

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi rose-dee,

Yes, I'll do that in a few minutes, thanks. 

For those who are interested, here is the result of the private conversation rose-dee and I had on this topic.

It's indeed impossible to separate Canada shipping from International shipping when listing on eBay.com. However, the same is true on eBay.ca, although in reverse: US shipping cannot be separated from international shipping. In rose-dee's case, this matters because she would use free shipping to her Canadian buyers to offset the shipping FVF on her US sales, and the amount of money saved that way was enough to cover for the eventual ROW buyer who bought enough to get free shipping under her shipping promo rule.

rose-dee, I hope this switch ends up paying off for you, at least until we finally get a better shopping cart on eBay.com.

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

his concludes our session for this week. Thanks all for participating, see you next time!

Message 38 of 38
latest reply