August 23 2017 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone -

Here's the thread for this week's chat.

While I am still working on updates for the overall chat grid, I wanted to show you the updated information I have, so I'll include it this week.

Thanks for your time, and I'll see you tomorrow!

Selling limits live items count discrepancy  Closed "This is working as designed. It is counting the multiple  variation and multiple quantity listings" Will be removed going forward
Handling times not being added properly  Open No update at this point Waiting for tech team's response
Shipping Cost Cannot Be Calculated Error On Us/int'l Sites For CA Listings Open "This fix is pending."  
Seller Hub shipping reminders on items that have been marked as shipped on eBay.ca Open Ticket Filed Waiting for tech team's response
Guides written on .UK are now missing without a trace Open No update at this point  
Link to relist item from eBay message to seller's private email will not load  Open Reported resolved Checking with initial reporter  to verify
Shipping calculator not factoring regional shipping differences in delivery estimate Open No update at this point Waiting for tech team's response
Sold email formats have changed - test or intentional? Information Requested No update at this point Waiting for response
Total number of items fluctuates when you hit refresh Open No update at this point Waiting for response
Seller Dashboard showing 20% instead of 10% Open No update at this point Waiting for response
Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@jt-libra wrote:

I’ve been trying to determine why my media sales have declined so dramatically over the last three or four months.  As well, most of them only have 2 or 3 views in a 30-day period, which is unusually low.  I realize that school has ended, people are on vacation and there is a declining interest in hard-copy media.

I was certain that my listings were free of active content but I ran them though eBay’s bulk active content scanner again.  I found that although there was no active content, there were target issues on 125 of my listings. I knew this related to the link to my store and I thought I had corrected them all, but I hadn’t.  They have to be corrected individually so I’m working on that.

It was my understanding that eBay would not remove listings with active content or target issues but that buyers would have difficulty viewing them properly. Can you please confirm that a listing with an incorrect link will still be visible?  It’s going to take me a while to revise my listings but I’d like to know whether they are still being seen.

Thanks.

Hi @jt-libra - I can confirm that listings with active content or target issues will still be visible. The active content itself will not be displayed, which can make the description look odd or confusing, but the placement of the item in search would not be affected. Best of luck as you work through your listings!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi Tyler,

When I searched for seller standards I ended up on the following page which has a lot of outdated info. Perhaps someone could update it. Most of the transaction defects mentioned on it are no longer defects. There may be other mistakes on the page but I didn't read all of it.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html

Transaction defect rate requirements

The transaction defect rate is the percentage of your transactions that have one or more of the following defects:

• Detailed seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for item as described

• Detailed seller rating of 1 for shipping time

• Negative or neutral feedback

• A return initiated for a reason that indicates the item was not as described

• An eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described

• Seller-initiated transaction cancellation

To meet our minimum standard, you can only have up to 5% of transactions with one or more defects over the most recent evaluation period. To qualify as a Global Top Rated Seller, you can only have up to 2% of transactions with one or more defects over the most recent evaluation period. All your transactions with global buyers count toward your seller performance rating on eBay.ca. Only your transactions with US buyers count toward your seller performance rating on eBay.com.

The defect rate won't affect your seller performance status until you have transactions with defects with at least 8 different buyers, or at least 5 different buyers to impact Top Rated status, within your evaluation period.

Thanks for this call out - I'll get this reported, because you're right that it's very out of date! Hope to see that changed quickly.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Apparently some US sellers are getting messages from ebay stating their listings will be ended and/or not be seen unless they add product identifiers.  

In the 2016 fall update we were told that more categories would require product identifiers in February 2017 but I believe that eBay delayed that date as I didn't hear anything about it until recently.  If we received more info from ebay about it, I can't find that right now.  That fall update also said as well as standard identifiers, upc etc., we would be able to use:

• Amazon standard identification numbers (ASIN)
  • Google product identifiers
  • Private label product identifiers (seller-generated product identifiers)

I believe that we can produce product label identifiers by adding unbranded and private label items to the ebay catalogue but how do we access the Amazon and Google product identifiers?

Most of my listings are for brand name items and I'm sure that they do have a upc but when the product was sent to me the tags did not have a upc code so I have many new items without any type of product identifiers. Actually I suppose most of them are considered new old stock so I'm not sure that I can even find product identifiers for them as the products themselves are no longer available from the manufacturers.

My questions:

1. What is the official deadline now for adding those identifiers and what will happen to non compliant listings on that date?

2. How do we access the google and amazon identifiers?

3. Are you aware of any general database that we can search for upc codes on?

4.What should sellers do if no product identifiers can be found for product that is new and unused?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hi @pjcdn2005 - great questions, here's all the information I could find:

1. The emails sent overnight were about Good Til Cancelled listings that have 'non compliant' UPC/Brand/MPN information, putting the 'non-renewal' date in September. We've been showing warnings and blocking listing flows if a non-compliant product identifier is input since mid July, and expanding on that into this month.

2. This is a great question, I don't know. I'll get @a.depour to see what he can find out on this for us.

3. I know there are a number of UPC validators online, but there isn't a particular one that we recommend over others.

4. If the item legitimately does not have a UPC or MPN (handcrafted, etc) then you'd want to use 'Does not apply'. In your situation (new old stock, sent without UPCs), the only thing I can suggest is reaching out to the manufacturer to see if they can help. I know that's not a great option, but it's the one I've got.

5 (extra). If anyone is using the eBay catalog and isn't able to find their specific item, and needs it added, they can email that information to: sdsupport@ebay.com and the catalog team will respond with an update on the submission request.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Thanks @cumos55 - I got your messages and will review and report the accounts involved!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

There are multiple reports in the Boards about buyers over the past two weeks being unable to load pages to view items or shop due to warnings about 'too many redirects' and it seems to transcend browsers, updated software et cetera. All the usual fixes will not fix it. It is also apparently specific to the english version of ebay.ca and not the french side or ebay.com. There have been probably six threads and comments by 20 different users which would lead me to believe this is a fairly serious problem that is impacting ebay Canada seller's profitability. Some speculation leads to inefficient or malicious third-party advertising on the site. Can you comment? 

These are two of the threads. There have been others but unfortunately I don't have time this morning to search them all out.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Site-Issues/Error-INET-E-REDIRECT-FAILED/td-p/380409/highlight/true and

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Site-Issues/The-page-isn-t-redirecting-properly/m-p/381300/highlight/tru...

Thanks for these - to comment: this is an issue we have multiple reports with and are working with our tech team to resolve. Currently they are 'unable to replicate' the issue and are pushing back stating it must be an ISP/Browser issue.

I will review the threads (I see a few screenshots attached which is good) and I'll engage to get more info and update people on what I hear back. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Here's a seller-specific problem that I have: I recently received a late-shipment report mark on an item I had to reship due to a Canada Post error. As in, I had to ship an item twice due to an error the postal agent made at the counter, the second time the item was sent to the buyer, it went with tracking about three weeks after purchase. (I had shipped the original within 12 hours.) Because the replacement item was shipped with tracking, it overwrote the ebay notes on the original shipment, and I got a 'tracking shows late shipment' mark on my Dashboard. Can I appeal to have this removed, or am I stuck with it? I don't feel like this was a defect that I deserved, and the buyer was not unpleased with the outcome of the transaction. 

Let me take a look at it, there is some option for appeal, but I'd need to take a look at it. Will you PM me the item number?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Back to the issue of incorrect amount of sold items showing and every time you refresh you get another amount.

A poster on my original thread:

tyler@ebay

Hi tyler, I'm a bit confused about a couple of your comments, please see my comments/questions in blue below.
PJ

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hey everyone -

Just wanted to let you know I did some digging and was able to find a little bit of general information about what should be being shown:

Completed listings are available for items that have sold within the last 90 days and for items that didn't sell within the last 30 days.

That is how I understand it to work as well but we are not seeing all of the items that sold during the last 90 days. music's sold listings were being shown as either 91 or 64 when in reality, she sold 174 items in that 3 month period.

My sold items were being shown as 6 or 7 items but I had sold about 38 items during those 90 days.  In my case quite a few of the multiple sales were not being counted but there were also a few other items that just didn't show up at all on the sold page. For example, the page was showing sold items from May 25. It counts one item as having been sold 1 time in 3 months when there were really 7 of that item sold.I'm sure that it was different at one time Either on the completed page or the sold page the total number sold would include all items sold. In the case of multiple gtc listings, that number would be updated every 30 days when the listing rolled over. Perhaps someone else remembers that it used to be like that or am I just confused? Smiley Happy

• When using the Advanced Search page, an "Items by seller" search will include completed listings up to the last 15 days.
  • When using the Advanced Search page, an "Items by bidder" search will include completed listings up to the last 30 days.

This part confuses me. In the first part of your post you mentioned that completed listings showed for up to 30 days, but then you mention 15 days.  When I search completed listings or sold listings using advanced search or by checking off completed items on the seller's listing page, I see completed items for up to 30 days, not 15. I see sold items for up to 90 days. But again..not all sold items are showing up.

What do you mean by an items by bidders search? Bidders don't have completed listings? 

Nothing I've found explains why the numbers are changing between refreshes however, so I've filed a tech ticket and hopefully we'll either get more clarification or a fix soon!

Hi @musicyouneed - I saw that question this morning, sorry I didn't get to it last week. :C

It looks like the information I grabbed is outdated: it's referencing an old  advanced search mode you could search 'items by bidder', that would allow you to look at listings purchased by an id for the past 30 days. However, that hasn't been available as an option in years (I think since 2014/15?). I'll get that updated.

If you do a general search, say for an iPhone 6, and then use the 'completed' filter, that should show the last 30 days. If you go through and click 'advanced search' and then choose 'by seller', you can search for the last 15 days of completed listings by seller id.

I still haven't heard back on the reason why the numbers are changing when hitting refresh, but I hope that clarifies the other questions!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

My final thrilling update on this, I promise. It's starting in two minutes. Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 11.57.48 AM.png

Did it end up being useful? I was listening in but also working on questions so my attention was a bit split. If there's anything that needs more clarification or didn't get addressed shoot me a PM and I'll get it sent on!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining today - the chat is closed.

Join us next week - which should herald the triumphant return of Rodney!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 29 of 29
latest reply