November 9th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• "Apply my Combined Shipping Discounts" option unavailable on Revise
  • Incomplete ID History
  • Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice
  • CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders (under investigation)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

@bunbar wrote:

I haven't found a way to do it online for less than $10 unless I'm sending it out of Canada (to  the US or overseas)

Your $2 rate item was oversize lettermail 9less then 2cm thick).  Its never been available online, just use stamps

Message 41 of 80
latest reply

Thanks that's what I thought, but I thought I'd ask You can't even do it through the post office online and I asked at the post office but they had no idea

Message 42 of 80
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:
In actual fact, in the above two auctions we had selected "Shipping from out side the USA 11-23 BUSINESS days" delivery.

Then what should the delivery time be with 5 day handling or with 10 day handling

since neither one seems to incorporate the 11 - 23 business days???

Shouldn't they both be 11-23 business days PLUS the 5 or 10 day handling??

Thanks.

Like I said earlier, it looks like the system counts the shipping service you selected as being 7-14 days instead of the 11-23 that is shown to sellers when they select it. I am working with the Shipping team to figure out why that is.

Raphael,
Thanks for looking into this.  Appreciate you help.
gwrocen

Message 43 of 80
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Hello Raphael,

In September I received a special offer from ebay and CPC regarding a FREE 6 month store offer.

In the Sept. 28 weekly session Dutchman refereed to it as "phony as a $3 bill", you said "This campaign, email, Canada Post and eBay landing pages are 100% legitimate." So, silly me, I followed the prompts and signed up.

I have been here for around 10 years, and for most of them, my SOP(Standard Operating Procedure) for paying my bill, is to pay right after I have shipped all my orders every day. Using the funds in my Paypal account, never waiting for ebay to charge my CC.

In the middle of October, I notice a charge for the store from the day I set it up(Sept. 28) until Nov.15. I phone ebay CS(10/21/16), talk to Edwin, and explain the situation. He puts me on hold, comes back, and says there is NO such promotion.

I then direct him to the Sept. 28 weekly session, pointing out what you had said, puts me on hold again. When he comes back, he says that ebay will reimburse me after 6 months. I tell him that is unacceptable, I will close the store right after talking to him, and I wanted the charges taken off my bill. Back on hold again, when he returns he assures me that the charges on my bill will be taken off without me having to do anything.

Edwin also changed his tune, and said ebay will now honour the promotion.

Well, my CC was charged, do I have to go another round with CS to get my money back? Please advise, thanks.

Message 44 of 80
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

Thanks that's what I thought, but I thought I'd ask You can't even do it through the post office online and I asked at the post office but they had no idea

Even if it could be done online it's lettermail which doesn't have tracking.

Message 45 of 80
latest reply

I realized I was wrong about the tracking but it sure would make it easier if we could print those online

Message 46 of 80
latest reply

Hi, I would like to make a comment here, and see if I can get an answer.

Some of my fellow sellers that list on .com are upset with the shipping times. I have read the posts, and I also do not like getting late shipment strikes against me.

I list on .ca with 1 day handling, (I usually ship the same day when possible)  and ship Light Packet USA as most of my items are under $20.00 Canadian, and tracked packet costs $16.25.

For me, estimated shipping times for light packet are 6 to 11 business days to the US. 

I have had buyers contact me saying "where is my package"?, or go to resolution centre, Like I did something wrong. It seems it can take 14 to 21 business days to arrive in some areas of the US lately.

With the upset from some sellers over the "shipping from outside the US" shipping times, I would like to express my upset over the 6-11 business days that I, a .ca seller have to contend with.

Yes I can change my handling time, but that would affect my best match rating. 

I have received late strikes against me, contacted ebay, and the person helping me said I have to prove I shipped it on time. I was told to take a picture of the package at the post office once the postage was attached for my proof and then ebay could take the strike against me off. Nice idea, but time consuming.

It might be a better idea if the estimated times were extended for Canadian sellers selling on the .ca site.

Message 47 of 80
latest reply

The fact that they suggested a photo of this sort would get your defect removed is nothing short of incredible. Sellers have been asking for this or acceptance scan receipts as proof of on-time shipment for ages. Raphael, can you confirm these actions will now nullify a Late Shipment defect?
Message 48 of 80
latest reply

the phone call to ebay when the person told me this was late winter early spring of this year.

I called there because I was so upset at having strikes when I was doing everything in my power to get it to the customer on time. Shipping same day as purchased, and it does get on the mail truck that day. I explained to ebay I live in a rural village in Saskatchewan, no shipping service on weekends, and of course holidays. If someone purchases on a friday, it cannot be processed until monday, or tuesday if there is a holiday. That already takes up some of the estimated delivery days. I was told that was why there was the extra days in the estimations.

I argued it takes up to 14 business days to arrive in most cases, not 11. We have no control once it leaves our hands.

If the information I received was false, (about taking a picture of the package once postage has been applied) possibly more training would be needed for ebay staff answering the help phones.

I was just wondering if ship times could be extended for .ca sellers somehow just as the ones selling on .com can do.

Message 49 of 80
latest reply

If you live in a rural or remote area of Canada, the delivery estimates are stacked against you. Your handling time must match at minimum the number of business days to your nearest distribution centre. Us noisy, vocal sellers have turned this problem on its head, on its side, there's nothing else to do. Raphael will tell you, as he has told us one thousand times, the Late Shipment system with its current estimates 'works for a majority' of sellers. Period. The mothership in San Jose has no desire to allow us measly Canuks to tinker with their existing system. It just won't happen. The fact you found a CSR who told you a photo might be used to erase a defect is, honestly, nothing short of amazing. We've been hollering for that -- or the acceptance scan on mailing a Small Packet as proof of on-time shipment -- for ages.
Message 50 of 80
latest reply

Our mail reaches Regina, SK, our major sort center the same evening of the day I mail it. Our mail pickup is 11:00am.

My point is, a Canadian seller selling on .com can send something under "mails from outside the US" and have more shipping days than a fellow Canadian seller ....mailing it the same way......on .ca only has 6-11 business days. Should take the same number of estimated days? 

Message 51 of 80
latest reply

The Delivery Estimates on eBay.ca are not ideal. Even for tracked service, the estimate excludes anyone in a remote, northern locations. We have asked for this to be addressed. Again, it's not a big priority because the number of us affected is low. In the grand scheme of things. That doesn't, however, mean we must sit idly by. Raise it.
Message 52 of 80
latest reply

FAO gwrocen: I added a new update to my response from yesterday.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/November-9th-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/356377#M5378

Message 53 of 80
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:

Naturally International Delivery will end up being “Late Delivery”
if the seller’s criteria of 11-23 business days plus 3 day handling is sabotaged.
This is a No Win situation for a seller.
Other sellers have seen this as well.
Would appreciate it if you could give us some idea
why delivery data is being altered and displayed on the listing with a shorter time period.

I'd like to chime in on this subject as well.  It's very worrying, and made even more serious because most sellers won't even be aware it's happening until they start getting unexplained defects.  

I'm actually still not even convinced that changes at the settings end didn't also occur (i.e. 11-23 day "Out of U.S." economy delivery option being changed to the shorter, U.S. domestic economy).  I am certain some things have recently been changed in the .com list of shipping options -- the list is now longer, and differently ordered than previously.  Is it completely impossible that the "new" system on .com could default to the shorter, U.S. "economy" option during a revision?  

I hope you can assure us that eBay will be giving these two issues priority investigation.  They need to be looked into urgently.  A lot of sellers are going to get unfairly and unknowingly caught with defects for late deliveries in the meantime.  

To summarize what I've told gwrocen on this subject, the Economy from outside the US shipping service seems to count as 7-14 business days instead of the 11-23 shown at the time you create your listing. I'm investigating that with the Shipping team. The discrepancy between listings that gwrocen reported is due to different handling times.

Once again, and I really need to make this clear, there is no such thing as shipping defaults. All new listings start with blank fields for shipping services and never have I seen, in my own use of eBay and by testing on your items directly, the site arbitrarily changing shipping services. You have suggested that Auctiva might have caused this change for you, this makes sense and I advise you to get in touch with them to test on their side.

Hi Raphael, this is a subject I was going to mention about as well. Just wanted to say that I list always using turbo lister and so I don't think this is an Auctiva problem. I have noticed this change recently and I usually ship by lettermail using the Economy Shipping from Outside the USA with one day handling. I have always seen the days showing as 8 to 24 (on the buyers end) and just recently noticed the change.

Thank you for looking into this for us. 

Hi vintagenorth,

This sounds like a different issue, would you care to elaborate? rose-dee's issue was definitely caused by Auctiva, she confirmed that.

Did you get the wrong economy shipping service on your listings without noticing?

Message 54 of 80
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Hello Raphael,

In September I received a special offer from ebay and CPC regarding a FREE 6 month store offer.

In the Sept. 28 weekly session Dutchman refereed to it as "phony as a $3 bill", you said "This campaign, email, Canada Post and eBay landing pages are 100% legitimate." So, silly me, I followed the prompts and signed up.

I have been here for around 10 years, and for most of them, my SOP(Standard Operating Procedure) for paying my bill, is to pay right after I have shipped all my orders every day. Using the funds in my Paypal account, never waiting for ebay to charge my CC.

In the middle of October, I notice a charge for the store from the day I set it up(Sept. 28) until Nov.15. I phone ebay CS(10/21/16), talk to Edwin, and explain the situation. He puts me on hold, comes back, and says there is NO such promotion.

I then direct him to the Sept. 28 weekly session, pointing out what you had said, puts me on hold again. When he comes back, he says that ebay will reimburse me after 6 months. I tell him that is unacceptable, I will close the store right after talking to him, and I wanted the charges taken off my bill. Back on hold again, when he returns he assures me that the charges on my bill will be taken off without me having to do anything.

Edwin also changed his tune, and said ebay will now honour the promotion.

Well, my CC was charged, do I have to go another round with CS to get my money back? Please advise, thanks. 

Hi amcdc79,

Assuming you are trying to get the free subscription for a brand new store on an eBay account that never had one before (as per the promo terms), Edwin should take care of this adjustment for you if he said he would honour the promo.

Message 55 of 80
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

I realized I was wrong about the tracking but it sure would make it easier if we could print those online

Hi bunbar,

Lettermail is mailed with stamps, not shipping labels. We can't offer that online.

Message 56 of 80
latest reply

@craftyhands4-9 wrote:

Hi, I would like to make a comment here, and see if I can get an answer.

Some of my fellow sellers that list on .com are upset with the shipping times. I have read the posts, and I also do not like getting late shipment strikes against me.

I list on .ca with 1 day handling, (I usually ship the same day when possible)  and ship Light Packet USA as most of my items are under $20.00 Canadian, and tracked packet costs $16.25.

For me, estimated shipping times for light packet are 6 to 11 business days to the US. 

I have had buyers contact me saying "where is my package"?, or go to resolution centre, Like I did something wrong. It seems it can take 14 to 21 business days to arrive in some areas of the US lately.

With the upset from some sellers over the "shipping from outside the US" shipping times, I would like to express my upset over the 6-11 business days that I, a .ca seller have to contend with.

Yes I can change my handling time, but that would affect my best match rating. 

I have received late strikes against me, contacted ebay, and the person helping me said I have to prove I shipped it on time. I was told to take a picture of the package at the post office once the postage was attached for my proof and then ebay could take the strike against me off. Nice idea, but time consuming.

It might be a better idea if the estimated times were extended for Canadian sellers selling on the .ca site. 

Hi craftyhands4-9,

My colleagues and I at eBay Canada wholeheartedly agree. As I mentioned in a previous post, getting better EDDs for our sellers has been on our list of asks for years, but we were unable to get that project prioritized on the Shipping team's roadmap yet. We continue to push for that at every planning cycle, but unfortunately our confidence level in getting it on the roadmap isn't very high still.

With that said, thank you for sharing your concerns, which I will share with the Shipping team.

Message 57 of 80
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
The fact that they suggested a photo of this sort would get your defect removed is nothing short of incredible. Sellers have been asking for this or acceptance scan receipts as proof of on-time shipment for ages. Raphael, can you confirm these actions will now nullify a Late Shipment defect?

I cannot confirm that unfortunately. As far as I know this isn't an official thing, it sound more like a CS teammate winging it.

Message 58 of 80
latest reply

Raphael, do you have an update on the issue with the Shipping Tool malfunction with Tracked Packet? I use Tracked Packet for all international parcels, I cannot afford to lose $100 on postage with all large items sold.
Message 59 of 80
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:
Hello Raphael,

This is in regard to “shipping and handling” time which we spoke about last week.
We got a “late delivery” defect that we felt was through no fault of ours.

Other sellers have seen this as well.
Would appreciate it if you could give us some idea
why delivery data is being altered and displayed on the listing with a shorter time period.

Thanks.
gwrocen 

Hi gwrocen,

Thanks for all the additional info. This is something I need to put in front of the shipping team. I'll update this post as soon as I get news from them.

UPDATE:

It appears that Economy Shipping from Outside the US (11 to 23 business days) only counts as 7-14 business days. Whatever you see on your listings is that + your handling time. I have someone on the Shipping team looking into why the discrepancy between what you see when you create the listing and what shows up on the listing.

UPDATE 2:

We have verified that the issue only appears when looking at the item on eBay.ca. The EDDs are accurately reflecting the 11 to 23 business days + your handling time when viewed on eBay.com. This is a bit of a silver lining as most US buyers will look at your items from eBay.com and not eBay.ca, where the EDDs are unreasonable. Also, we have verified that buyers see the correct date when asked whether the item arrived on time (23 days + your handling time), So the issue is only on eBay.ca and only on the item page and only when looking at shipping to the US.

HI Raphael,

Thanks for the updates.

This explains the problem.

We have one suggestion.  Rather than asking the buyers if the item arrived on time,

why aren't they asked if the seller mailed the item within their handling time.

They can check the cancellation date on the package.

This is basically, as has been stated many times, because once the parcel/package/letter

has been put in the mail, delivery time is out of the control of the seller. 

Thanks again for all your help on this.

gwrocen

Message 60 of 80
latest reply