2013 Spring Seller Update

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

Discuss the 2013 Spring Seller Updates here!

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/201303191308082.html

-- Edited by raphael@ebay.com at Mar 19, 2013 3:01 PM EDT
eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page.
Message 1 of 159
latest reply
158 REPLIES 158

Re: 2013 Spring Seller Update

caveaugrenier - you seem rather unhappy with the fee changes taking place.

Like you, without an eBay store, FVF will go up for me with the new changes.

" ZERO, NON,E NOTHING, NADA, RIEN, that this fee update benefit SELLERS"

Actually many sellers will experience lower fees as a result of the changes. For example, sellers of books with a store will see FVF lowered ffrom 13% to 9%.  Since you also sell books, that may be of interest to you.

"double insertion fees"

???  I am not sure where you saw that. New listing fees for books are $0.05 for fixed price after the first 50 free listings, How much were you paying under the old fee structure?.The new schedule also gives you the opportunity to chose the "auction" or "fixed price" format for the first 50 "free" listings. That is an improvement that will save money to many sellers without a store. 

I suggest you take the time to carefully read and understand the new fee schedule.  There is nothing in it to benefit me but you may find something of benefit to you. Keep an open mind.

Good Luck.

Message 141 of 159
latest reply

deals-4you
Community Member

Anyone know what the FVF % will be charged when I sell a cell phone with a store?

The table shows Cell Phone & Accessories at 9% while Consumer Electronics is at 6%.  Cellphones have a similar profit margin to other Electronics (very low!) while Accessories have relatively high profit margins.

The old system I averaged around 6% for FVF.  I'm just worried my FVF is going to increase by 50%.

If eBay doesn't treat Cellphones as under Consumer Electronics, I might need to modify my listings!

Message 142 of 159
latest reply

A store is a continuous rollover of GTC listings  for 12  30-day cycles plus 5 days each year....  and then plus one day for a leap year

With 3000 listings in a store,  there are about 100 rolling over everyday....It is important to spread the listings over a 30 day period... always having "new" GTC listings showing each day.

Adding new listings each month stimulates the search  and brings potential buyers to the store...adding 20 new listings over each of 4 or 5 days

The rollover plus new listings....  "tickle" the search protocol on eBay.... putting your store front row and centre...    Build up a niche... New listings have a greater effect than a GTC rollover...

GTC listings  are constantly on the move... with the store being adjusted on a regular basis.... editing categories... deleting some redundant  and old listings.....Never let it "just sit"

Too many sellers throw it up in a store  and leave it there....

As a seller of books.... currently only books listed....  the listing of non-book inventory will be done in the first 4 days of each month.... (Premium store with  500 free listings)

Being careful to account for the number of days in a month relative to  30 day listing period....

What gets listed on May 4.....  follows a sequence of rolling over on

June 3, July 3, August 2, September 1, and then October 1...

The next rollover will be on October 31.....  and becomes 10 cents a fixed price listing with a Premium store

Books are 5 cents per listing.....  Non-book inventory, regularly at 10 cents a listing would be free until October 31....with fixed price listings for non-book listings then being 10 cents each on October 31....

Having GTC listings for n on-book inventory for 60 to 90 days will always put those listings high in a search report....

Maybe .....even list a few auctions  on a trial basis.... Have not listed an auction since 2006......

Lots of old inventory  as well as inventory that could not be sold on eBay  has been and will be sold through  a local auction service....  25 % commission.....Super results over the past two months.

A store must be treated like a dynamic entity... constantly on the move... with new inventory,  and careful adjustment of categories  to aid a potential buyer in finding inventory in a store....

No more sheet music or music books.... No more Medical books... realigned the emphasis on books as they relate to hockey

New focus...  books on hunting and firearms,  birds in Canada.....  Environmental aspects as they relate to ecology, geography  and with agriculture to a lesser degree....  Very carefully adding new inventory..... constantly building up a new presence...

Main focus is Canada,  and everything that relates Canada... "almost everything"

Finding new, quality inventory....to fill those new categories....

Message 143 of 159
latest reply

Before I started selling on eBay... there was a lot of reading... and that was 10 years ago.

Constantly reading... confirming what is known  and reading to learn something new...

Reading discussions boards on both .com and .ca    with the emphasis on booksellers, eBay store, powersellers, and Seller Central on eBay .com.

Paying particular attention to sellers (and buyers) that have encountered problems... read and not respond

Message 144 of 159
latest reply

A store is a continuous rollover of GTC listings  for 12  30-day cycles plus 5 days each year....  and then plus one day for a leap year

I have been wrestling with going GTC listings,,,,,,,,,,but have come to the conclusion its not worth it to do so.  I would rather adjust my inventory each month and gain search advantages that only come with new listings. Turbo Lister is the key tool to make it all happen easily and fast.

Message 145 of 159
latest reply

Anyone know what the FVF % will be charged when I sell a cell phone with a store?

The table shows Cell Phone & Accessories at 9% while Consumer Electronics is at 6%.  Cellphones have a similar profit margin to other Electronics (very low!) while Accessories have relatively high profit margins.

The old system I averaged around 6% for FVF.  I'm just worried my FVF is going to increase by 50%.

If eBay doesn't treat Cellphones as under Consumer Electronics, I might need to modify my listings!

Here is a link to the eBay.ca FVFs Help Page where is gives a detailed list of what categories are included in the lower rates for Computers 4%, Electronics 6%, etcetera.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/storefees.html#fvf

In the table of FVFs there is a link to the specific categories that have the lower FVF rate.

Message 146 of 159
latest reply

Winnipeg bookseller on eBay constantly rotating his inventory on eBay....20,000 to 24,000 listings.

Major bookseller on eBay.com can at any time have 1.5 to 3.5 million books listed.....

Message 147 of 159
latest reply

How do I take advantage of the 12 Free Gallery images if I cannot upload from my computer?

I tried to use this new way of handling images by creating a listing (sold now.) I used Turbo Lister and the URL option to include 10 images. ALL but first one showed in the Gallery. The rest were pushed into my description. I was told the only way to fix this was to edit the listing and use the copy from web function. Shouldn't Turbo Lister be doing this copying for me? I between a rock and a hard place, I CANNOT upload the images from my computer to TL as something in the OS or Security keeps messing with my Camera's SD card making it unusable. Because of this I have the been uploading images to Photobucket and from there to TL description BUT I really want to use the Supersized Gallery.

imageelf
Message 148 of 159
latest reply

deals-4you
Community Member

I read all the categories and clicked on the links for details below, but nothing mentions specifically the Cell Phones and Smartphones subcategory.

I'm just wondering if an ebay rep knows for sure.

or if someone knows from actually selling a cell phone that has a store.

Message 149 of 159
latest reply

I read all the categories and clicked on the links for details below, but nothing mentions specifically the Cell Phones and Smartphones subcategory.

I'm just wondering if an ebay rep knows for sure.

or if someone knows from actually selling a cell phone that has a store.

From the link I gave before. It seems clear that Cell phones are in the consumer electronic at 6% FVF rate.

Included Consumer Electronics, Cameras & Photo and more categories:

Car Electronics (found in eBay Motors > Parts & Accessories)

Pro Audio Equipment (found in Musical Instruments & Gear)

Memory Cards: Camera & Photo Accessories (found in Cameras & Photo > Camera & Photo Accessories)

Memory Cards: Cell Phone Accessories (found in Cell Phones & Accessories > Cell Phone Accessories)

Memory Card & USB Adapters: iPad/Tablet/eBook Accessories (found in Computers/Tablets & Networking > iPad/Tablet/eBook Accessories)

All Cameras & Photo categories not classified as Camera & Photo Accessories, Cell Phone Accessories and more (see also Memory Cards: Camera & Photo Accessories, noted above)

All Cell Phones & Accessories categories not classified as Camera & Photo Accessories, Cell Phone Accessories and more (see also Memory Cards: Cell Phone Accessories, noted above)

All Consumer Electronics categories not classified as Camera & Photo Accessories, Cell Phone Accessories and more

All Video Games & Consoles categories not classified as Camera & Photo Accessories, Cell Phone Accessories and more or Computer/Tablets & Networking, Video Game Consoles

All Computer/Tablets & Networking categories not classified as Camera & Photo Accessories, Cell Phone Accessories and more or Computer/Tablets & Networking, Video Game Consoles

Message 150 of 159
latest reply

Hello,

does anyone know if you add anything to an invoice if you get charged fees?  I got charged $2.69 for $8.55 shipping charges and that seems rather high...but I did have to add mailing tubes to the invoice.  Would that have resulted in the higher fees or are those fees correct?

Message 151 of 159
latest reply

"I got charged $2.69 for $8.55 shipping charges and that seems rather high.."

????

The system automatically charges whatever FVF rate is applicable to the item for the shipping charge. To charge you FVF od $2.69 would suggest shipping charge of $25 or so.

Your eBay seller invoice would give full details of the fee being charged and the amount it is based on..

Message 152 of 159
latest reply

this is what the invoice says

30-Apr 08:30:01
Final Value Fee on Shipping$1.30

Shipping and other costs less sales tax: US $11.86 (Fixed Price)

Final Value Fee on Shipping$1.39

Shipping and other costs less sales tax: US $10.68 (Fixed Price)

the first item was $12.99 and $4.50 shipping

the second was $14.99 and $4.05 shipping

each has a $1.00 handling.

usually it's supposed to be a percentage of the Canadian shipping and these are actually Canadian sales.  I'm wondering why it's saying "shipping and other costs" and there was NO sales tax.

thanks

Message 153 of 159
latest reply

OK - let's take it a step at the time

"Shipping and other costs less sales tax: US $11.86 (Fixed Price) "

When you check the amount you actually received through PayPal, how much was received for shipping and handling?

"Shipping and other costs less sales tax: US $10.68 (Fixed Price)"

When you check the amount you actually received through PayPal, how much was received for shipping and handling?

For some reasons, eBay thinks you have charged $11.86 and $10.68 respectively for shipping and handling, not the $4.50 and $4.05 indicated in your post. Did you receive $11.86 and $10.68?

Now, checking your listings, I noticed a potential problem.  You state in the description that a $1.00 handling charge will be added.  Is it included in the $4.50 or is it added to the $4.50?  That may be where the problem is.  The amount listed in the shipping tab should be ALL INCLUSIVE, nothing extra.  If you want to charge $5.50 for "shipping and handling", you should show $5.50 as a shipping and handling charge, not $4.50 shipping and $1.00 in the description.  eBay's system does not read the description.  They see a change in the amount charged for shipping and that may be the problem.

Message 154 of 159
latest reply

Hello Pierre,

what's interesting is this is a combined invoice, shipping including the $1.00 handling was $8.55 the $4.05 and $4.55 there is nothing in the invoice or listing for $11.86 or $10.68.  That's what I don't get.  I guess I'll phone ebay and find out where they are getting these numbers from and why a combined invoice is being charged separately....I had understood that it would be the Canadian shipping or actual shipping.  Another question- if you go into ebay.com and sold and put the actual shipping into a listing after it has been paid do they readjust the fees?  for instance I had one buyer pay for $3.20 shipping and it was decided that I would cover her shipping and I went in to that area and put 0.00.  The reason I found the previous mentioned amounts was because I was looking into this one to see if it adjusted but got distracted...LOL

Message 155 of 159
latest reply

I just checked that listing and no, it made no difference if you put in actual after the fees have b been taken

Message 156 of 159
latest reply

"I had understood that it would be the Canadian shipping or actual shipping"

Not quite.

It depends where you list.

FVF is charged on the first "domestic" shipping rate.  If listing on eBay.com, it would calculated on the lower of the rate you charge to the USA or actual

Message 157 of 159
latest reply

always list on .ca and all my other fees are showing up correctly as Canadian from what I looked through

Message 158 of 159
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 159 of 159
latest reply