About Shipping To Home Address?

dnjdhd_0
Community Member
I'm a very, very anxious person, if someone knocks on my door I will not and can not answer it. But lately I have been having to cancel more and more buyings because they won't ship to PO boxes, so I need to set a different address. Will they just drop packages off, or will they need me to come and sign?
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If you cannot answer the door and nobody can do it for you, buying online (eBay or elsewhere) is not for you.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

dnjdhd_0
Community Member
If you're not here to help, leave. Being rude is not needed nor wanted.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You could try using Canada Post's new Flex Delivery service where you register with Canada Post to make a nearby postal outlet your alternate shipping address and receive all your parcels there. Let me look for the link.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Oh. Wait. I see this ships to a P.O. box regardless. 

Is there someone you trust that you can use to ship-to instead? 

Or just let the carrier ring the doorbell and leave. You'll get a notice card as to where you have to pickup your parcel regardless. Then you can go and get it at your leisure. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Hello 'dnjdhd_0',

Do you live in a house or an apartment?  It might make a difference, but perhaps not much.

Increasingly Canadians are having to walk down the block to a little cubicle from which to retrieve their mail.

So even though a seller sees a "house" address, like Lakewood Drive, the homeowner's mail is still delivered

to a postal box of a sort.

I just don't understand people's upset over a box number, -- not the way the postal clerks officiously guard

those boxes.  

One thing you can try, on ebay anyway, is when you are doing a Search, on the left side of the page find where

it says Item Location.   Choose Canada Only, to see if you can find what you want here in Canada.

Canadian sellers generally have a good understanding of the postal system and just how safe & secure its

postal boxes are.  

And of course, you can always ask a seller if she will ship to your postal box for the reasons you have explained.

If the seller agrees, she may need to add you to her list of exemptions.  

Now then,  if you live in an apartment or condo you may not want the postee to leave your item in the lobby.  

At that point, using your street address means you will be left a paper card to hand over to the clerk at the

nearest postal outlet to you.  You will likely need to show ID, unless the clerk knows you on sight.

If you live in a house, the carrier may be willing to leave the parcel on your doorstep, particularly if you have a

note on the mailbox or door asking for this, saying you have just stepped into the bath or some such thing.

If the item is small it may fit in the mailbox, or in the cubicle down the street if you no longer have home delivery.

If you and your neighbours are having to use those cubicles, there should be a parcel compartment there.

You will be given a key to that and a notice to tell you the parcel is there.  That is easier than going all the way

to a post office.

If you have been using a post office box, that means you are mobile, -- or someone you know grabs your mail

for you from time to time.  

If you get a card telling you there is a parcel you need to pick up, -- assuming the item was not left on your doorstep

or placed between the screen door and the wooden one , -- and if your friend is going to get your mail for you,

you will have to fill in the back of the card and sign it over to the friend.  

You yourself do not usually have to sign for a parcel unless the seller has sent it "signature required".  If it comes

that way, you must sign, whether on the doorstep or in the postal outlet when you pick it up.  Most times, however,

you just hand over the card with a piece of photo ID (unless they know you) and they hand you the package.

The card that is left for you will have the location and phone number of the postal outlet, so if you have any 

concerns about, say, having your friend get it for you, you can always phone and ask the clerk about it.

And you realize, of course, that if an item is left on your doorstep or handed over to someone at your request, the

item will be recorded as "Delivered".

That is why most times postal workers are reluctant to leave parcels on doorsteps.  The tracking will then say

"Delivered" even though it is not in your hands until you open the door and get it.  If someone sneaked up and 

stole it, -- there would be nothing you can do.

The only other thing I can think of,  if nothing you have read thus far seems suitable, is to call Canada Post and 

explain your situation and ask if they can make a suggestion.  It is free to call, and, well, you never know.

Best wishes. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Just as a point of order: it's not sellers who won't accept P.o. Box orders; it's couriers. If the seller has entered into an arrangement to use UPS or Fedex or whomever- couriers ONLY deliver to actual street addresses. The box rented at an authorized retailer won't work for that. The Canada Post employee or agent isn't going to accept a courier's parcel for anyone. They can't.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

(Also, if you live in an apartment, your mail carrier cannot leave your parcels in the hallway outside your door. It's against fire code.)
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I just don't understand people's upset over a box number, -- not the way the postal clerks officiously guard

those boxes.  

It's a fallout from sellers blindly copying other seller's terms of sale.
In the US couriers are a good choice for domestic deliveries. They are fast, and tracking and insurance are included in the price. They also will pickup at the seller's door.

But PO clerks can't/won't sign for boxholders' parcels. So couriers can't deliver to PO boxes.

The same is true in Canada, couriers can't get a signature from a CPO worker.

Think liability issues.

So many US sellers used to use couriers rather than USPS. (The situation about pickups and tracking have changed. The sellers may not have noticed.)

And newbie sellers blindly copied their "No PO boxes." policy.

And yep, a box in a PO building is about as secure as you can get.  Security in a Community Box, not so much.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You could try putting a note on your mailbox asking that the postie leave a pickup notice rather than the parcel itself.

Posties can read and most are pretty good about it.

If you do meet her one day, explaining your difficulty will usually get a pleasant response. After all, she doesn't have to tote heavy boxes to you, just the delivery slip.

Pickup at the PO will require photo ID and something with your address. I use my passport and a random utility bill, since I don't drive.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply