Alot could be learned from this man!!!!

nan*55
Community Member

Chief Clarence Louie Osoyoos BC: speaking in Northern Alberta

Does Chief Clarence Louie have an attitude and a wisdom that may be required to bust loose from mass poverty and third world living conditions on Indian reserves? Is his a blueprint for economic healing as Chief Andy Chelsea is for emotional, psychological and spiritual healing? 80% of the people who hear them do not agree with them but 100% cannot deny that what they have done WORKS!!! AND, they did it and continue to do it with integrity, commitment and brutal honesty.

Chief Clarence Louie Osoyoos BC speaking in Northern Alberta :

Speaking to a large aboriginal conference and some of the attendees, including a few who hold high office, have straggled in.

'I can't stand people who are late, he says into the microphone. Indian Time doesn't cut it. '
Some giggle, but no one is quite sure how far he is going to go. Just sit back and listen:

'My first rule for success is Show up on time.'
'My No. 2 rule for success is follow Rule No. 1.'
'If your life sucks, it's because you suck.'
'Quit your sniffling.'
'Join the real world. Go to school, or get a job.'
'Get off of welfare. Get off your butt.'

He pauses, seeming to gauge whether he dare, then does.
'People often say to me, How you doin'? Geez I'm working with Indians what do you think?'
Now they are openly laughing ... applauding. Clarence Louie is everything that was advertised and more.

'Our ancestors worked for a living, he says. So should you.'

He is, fortunately, aboriginal himself. If someone else stood up and said these things - the white columnist standing there with his mouth open, for example - you'd be seen as a racist. Instead, Chief Clarence Louie is seen, increasingly, as one of the most interesting and innovative native leaders in the country even though he avoids national politics.

He has come here to Fort McMurray because the aboriginal community needs, desperately, to start talking about economic development and what all this multibillion-dollar oil madness might mean,for good and for bad.

Clarence Louie is chief and CEO of the Osoyoos Band in British Columbia's South Okanagan. He is 44 years old, though he looks like he would have been an infant when he began his remarkable 20-year-run as chief. He took a band that had been declared bankrupt and taken over by Indian Affairs and he has turned in into an inspiration.

In 2000, the band set a goal of becoming self-sufficient in five years. They're there.

The Osoyoos, 432 strong, own, among other things, a vineyard, a winery, a golf course and a tourist resort, and they are partners in the Baldy Mountain ski development. They have more businesses per capita than any other first nation in Canada.

There are not only enough jobs for everyone, there are so many jobs being created that there are now members of 13 other tribal communities working for the Osoyoos. The little band contributes $40-million a year to the area economy.

Chief Louie is tough. He is as proud of the fact that his band fires its own people as well as hires them. He has his mottos posted throughout the Rez. He believes there is no such thing as consensus, that there will always be those who disagree. And, he says, he is milquetoast compared to his own mother when it comes to how today's lazy aboriginal youth, almost exclusively male, should be dealt with.

Rent a plane, she told him, and fly them all to Iraq. Dump'em off and all the ones who make it back are keepers. Right on, Mom.
The message he has brought here to the Chipewyan, Dene and Cree who live around the oil sands is equally direct: 'Get involved, create jobs and meaningful jobs, not just window dressing for the oil companies.'

'The biggest employer,' he says, 'shouldn't be the band office.'

He also says the time has come to get over it. 'No more whining about 100-year-old failed experiments.' 'No foolishly looking to the Queen to protect rights.'

Louie says aboriginals here and along the Mackenzie Valley should not look at any sharing in development as rocking-chair money but as investment opportunity to create sustainable businesses. He wants them to move beyond entry-level jobs to real jobs they earn all the way to the boardrooms. He wants to see business manners develop: showing up on time, working extra hours. The business lunch, he says, should be drive through, and then right back at it.

'You're going to lose your language and culture faster in poverty than you will in economic development', he says to those who say he is ignoring tradition.

Tough talk, at times shocking talk given the audience, but on this day in this community, they took it and, judging by the response, they loved it.

Eighty per cent like what I have to say, Louie says, twenty per cent don't. I always say to the 20 per cent, 'Get over it.' 'Chances are you're never going to see me again and I'm never going to see you again.' 'Get some counselling.'

The first step, he says, is all about leadership. He prides himself on being a stay-home chief who looks after the potholes in his own backyard and wastes no time running around fighting 100-year-old battles.

'The biggest challenge will be how you treat your own people.'

'Blaming government? That time is over.'

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

snikrep2010
Community Member

In my opinion, this is the man who should be getting the news coverage....not Spence or Atleo. This is a man who I respect.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

He has my respect too!!!

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Awesome!    A Chief like Chief Clarence would make an excellent   Prime Minister, and he would get my vote!  That fellow knows where he is going, and the best way to get there.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Conquerors have always appreciated it when someone from those they have conquered came over to their side, or preached their views in order to destroy or assimilate their society. Caesar did, Genghis Khan did, the Brits had Benedict Arnold, Hitler had his, Pol Pot had people who joined him, etc etc. Even Christ had Judas Iscariot There will always be those who go for the money, or the fame, while slowly selling off their people.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I think the OP's title to this thread "A lot can be learned from this man" is correct.   A know-it-all or someone with a closed mind will not be able to be taught anything.  

Even worse is their denouncement of another person's success, just because that individual has achieved success by being intelligent, and making intelligent decisions,  instead of playing the role of a oppressed "hunger striker" on a fish broth regimen.  

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Nothing wrong with success, nothing at all. But at what price to others?

To some people, money, is their god.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Yup.  The Chief "took a band that had been declared bankrupt and taken over by Indian Affairs, and he has turned it into an inspiration"

Must be an "apple" to some who equate success with confrontation.  Seems like if the band had achieved prosperity by  DEMANDING money, they would admired.  And if several members had been wounded or killed in the proces they would be held up as Heroic martyrs fighting for justice!

Just peacefully working hard doesn't seem to cut it with a militant mentality that seeks strife.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Ya know Pigdog - you make a lot of sense but I don't think the Shake yr Thingy guy is going to agree with you.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Nothing wrong with success, nothing at all. But at what price to others?

Please give us some examples. In what way has the success of the Osoyoos band hurt others? Please be specific.

Why be so negative about bands that are self sufficient? Do you think that it is better for all of them to remain dependent on outside funding?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

The more any aboriginal people, anywhere in the world, go into the corrupt and greedy world of capitalism, corporations and money, especially when it comes to resources whose reaping destroys the land and the water and the air……the slowly a spiritual people become their conquerors and lose who they are.

No one is fighting ........success, but in some areas of success the price is too expensive.

And as far as Clarence Louie's comments and thoughts about his own people are concerned, it shows how much he has been indoctrinated to make Native people white. He is the type of person who would kick a dog and think that's teaching.

I gave up on racists and bigots in this world long ago. They are all talk, no action. They spew against people of all races including Natives but they never can find the courage to go to the people they condemn and lie about and slander and say the same things they say in the media to the faces of the people they speak about. That says what they are worth. Not much.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Lets look at, say Fort Chipeywan,

Now do you think 'they' could grow grapes?

I don't think so myself, but you're more than welcome to try,

oh,

that's right,

hard to see the sunshine thru all those emmissions from Fort Mac.

Glass of water?

yeah, thought not.

This Land is NOT for Sale!

]:)

Don't let a little thing like fear or common sense stop ya'
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I used to be the Syncrude Native HR rep for Fort Chip. Got flown up there twice a month. They made the best smoked whitefish I have ever tasted. The water was just ok though.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

The more any aboriginal people, anywhere in the world, go into the corrupt and greedy world of capitalism, corporations and money, especially when it comes to resources whose reaping destroys the land and the water and the air……the slowly a spiritual people become their conquerors and lose who they are.

You're generalizing. People can move on and not lose who they are. The world is changing all the time and we are changing with it yet you seem to think that the native's cannot change and still keep their aboriginal spirit.

You don't give them much credit.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

No one is fighting ........success, but in some areas of success the price is too expensive.

And as far as Clarence Louie's comments and thoughts about his own people are concerned, it shows how much he has been indoctrinated to make Native people white. He is the type of person who would kick a dog and think that's teaching.

I gave up on racists and bigots

in this world long ago. They are all talk, no action. They spew against people of all races including Natives but they never can find the courage to go to the people they condemn and lie about and slander and say the same things they say in the media to the faces of the people they speak about. That says what they are worth. Not much.

You gave up on yourself ?

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

You don't give them much credit.

You don’t know history.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Well, well, well....

Take race, religion, and 'rithmatic, and of course politics out of the equation, and what are we left with .. ?  

Simple common sense.  Thank you for your insight, Chief Louie.

Yes, a lot could be learned from this wise gentleman.    Thanks for posting, Nan. 

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

If you can't beat them.

Join them.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Prior Posted

corrupt and greedy world of capitalism, corporations and money, especially when it comes to resources whose reaping destroys the land and the water and the air……the slowly a spiritual people become their conquerors and lose who they are.

think your statement rings true but I think no matter whay anybody wants they will eventually have no choice .. I think eventually they will either have to change with the times or live in the stone age will less ....

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

especially when it comes to resources whose reaping destroys the land and the water and the air

You should visit Osoyoos.  Lovely little town - at least it was when my family vacationed there over 50 years ago.  It is built on Canada's only true desert.  To make vineyards, and to grow crops, one must literally make the desert come to life.  Irrigation is necessary.

We used to stay at a small motel in town.  About a blocks walk to a lovely sandy beach and a lake as warm as bath water.  The motel owners were a nice couple.  They were friendly.  They also offered some advice.  "Don't go out after dark.  There are a lot of drunks around."  She never said it was natives, and we didn't ask.  Just took their advice.  I am wondering, after Chief Louie's efforts, if we would get the same advice today.

I gave up on racists and bigots in this world long ago.

In this instance, who is (are) the racist(s)?  Chief Louie?  The person who started this thread?  Anyone who reads it and applauds the success of the natives? 

indoctrinated to make Native people white.

I am thinking that maybe he and his band would disagree with you.  Why don't you go talk to them and tell them how you feel.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply