Am I missing something? I hope so re postal rates!!

karensvariety
Community Member
If I mail a bubble envelope to the U.S. with, eg. a magazine in it and it weights over 250g, it is going to cost $5.60 ($4.35 U.S.). Somebody please tell me I'm doing this wrong!!
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
I took in a comic book to a CP outlet last week. The comic was packed in a file folder (to add some rigid, protective features) and placed it in a 10" X 13" manila envelope.

I asked the CP rep to weigh the package and tell me how much first class postage was and I was told $0.98 for Canada and $1.60 to be sent to the US.

I guaranty what he was sending was not heavier or larger than my comic book.

I dont know for certain that he isnt a PSer aside from not seeing any designation beside his ID. But you could easily have his feedback and not be a PS if you werent getting the sales volume on a regular basis.

Malcolm
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
Yours was under 2 cms. If he is using any kind of padding or protective packaging, it may go over the 2 cm limit. If it doesn't, then you are correct. His pricing is off.
Message 22 of 27
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
Malcolm,

The price your CP clerk quoted was for oversized letter. This is not considered a parcel and offers no insurance and is not traceable.

I actually use this level of service for shipping Winter Golf Gloves as they fit in an 9 x 12 envelope and it goes through the slot (the tool to determine if a letter is oversized or not).

But if it will not fit through the slot (as is the case with a chocolate bar), it becomes a small package.

The only draw back to lettermail as mentioned is the lack of security and tracking. For golf gloves, I just bit the bullet and take a chance given the savings in postage. I have had one or two of these apparently not reach their destination. No way to know for sure as the customer does not sign upon receipt, so I just took the customers word and shipped replacements.

But can you do this with a one of a kind object such as a collector comic book?

Jeff
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Regular lettermail is untraceable - you're right, but if it's an item with value, lettermail can be Registered and that is secure and traceable. I use it quite regularly for collector postcards. Also, prepaid Express Post envelopes are sometimes less expensive than Registered Mail.

Glenda

Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
What is the cost to register a letter-mail envelope?

Jeff
Message 25 of 27
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Jeff, it's $6.00 in Canada with $100 coverage - $.65 per $100 for additional up to $5,000.
-- To the US and the rest of the world (hold onto your hat!) it's $11.00 for $100 coverage - no additional coverage available!! So, for an oversize lettermail to the US, the total cost would be $11 + $1.60. Worth it for the security, if it's an expensive item, otherwise ......

Plus applicable postage, of course. Standard size prepaid Express Post is cheaper to the US and for Canada Regional.

Glenda

Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
Overseas shipping (for parcels) seems to have gone up, as well. I charged $5 shipping for a pile of trading cards in a bubble envelope. That used to cover it. The other day, they asked for $14 (Canadian). I ended up going with ground mail, which they said will take 2 months to get to Europe. It cost me $8. I lost money, and the customer is NOT going to be pleased.
Message 27 of 27
latest reply