Another Ransom demand from a buyer

sold a $18 item with a $1 postage to Califonia, after 4 weeks customer demands a refund citing not received.

he would not agree for a replacement shipment and would happy to send me back the package when received with a tracking number providing that i'll pay for it.

that means he'll keep the money and the shipment when received 😞

would paypal seller protection help? (probably ask me for a tracking number again) and would ebay safety and trust help?
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

$ weeks to California is pretty unusual don't you think? If you are sure it was sent to the correct address after 4 weeks I'd say it likely lost for good.

Why would you need tracking for the return (if the item should arrive), if it only cost a Dollar to send it then the return postage would be about the same.

that means he'll keep the money and the shipment when received 😞

You said he promised to return it? (yes I realize a promise is not fact until it happens).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Actually the # of weeks to California is not unusual.

why would he need a tracking # to send it back? i presume to make it very difficult and costly for me so i would not bother to get it back.

i think the only promise i get from him at this point is that i will be rip off.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Doesn't sound too good. Sounds like this guy is trying to scam you but whether you like it or not, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Such is the way in business!

First make sure you've investigated any loose ends. Check the address and give it another week. Usually anything that takes more than 3 weeks is lost but on occassion I've seen items take 5 weeks to arrive. If his item does not arrive then you'll have to refund. Paypal will not help you without a tracking number (and even then some so I've heard!). They will only help your buyer. You may want to add this buyer on your BBL though.

Sorry, it sucks I know but we all get bitten now and then.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Sounds like this guy is trying to scam you

That's a pretty big leap based on what little we know. I might think differently if the item was rare or unique.

Paypal will not help you without a tracking number

Tracking is irrelevant, not delivered is not delivered.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

How was it shipped, if it went Canada Post other than letter mail you just make a claim and wait 6 weeks.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

How was it shipped

There is no $1 parcel service with Canada Post. Even Light Packet has no claim process.

I think it's not unusual for small parcels to get lost or misplaced in mail and this customer deserves the benefit of the doubt before considering him a scammer. There have been cases of post office employees stealing the mail, who is interested, just talk to your local post office lady on a slow, boring day and she might share some dark gossip.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

"Another Ransom demand from a buyer "

In twenty years of mail order, I have received many messages from customers inquiring about the whereabouts of the goods they had purchased.

I may be naive but it never crossed my mind these customers were sending me a "ransom demand". I understood the messages to mean exactly what they asked: a request for information.

If several weeks had gone by from the time of shipment, I would either send a replacement (if available) or refund the original payment with a request to the buyer to return the goods when they eventually show up (or pay for them if refund was provided). .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

That's exactly what i did, i offered to send a replacemnt but was refused.

i asked the customer to either pay for the 2nd shipment when they arrive or return via regular postage, he refused.

he'll only send it back with a tracking number shipment at my expense which would cost more than the goods.

different clientels with different target. everyone's experience differ.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

raptorsvincecarter
Community Member
Hi,

Here is a suggestion. This may or may not be a reasonable thing to do, but here goes.

If you truly think he is not being honest about it, and you think he is aware that shipping the item from USA to Canada with a tracking number is very expensive, why dont you just 'open' a US branch of your business. Send him a shipping label with tracking by USPS first class mail. This should cost you $1.25 or so (see the Paypal shipping conduit or usps.com) He probably will never send it and then you have legs to stand on in your paypal case. If he sends it, then at least it only cost you $1.25 or so.

I am sure you have relatives or a friend in USA whose address you can use. You could even use a Buffalo / Seattle (depending on where you live) UPS store to accept your mail in USA for you.

It sounds like this guy knows you cant provide a tracking number for a shipment sent to you in Canada, so he is banking on you saying it is not worth it. I say you call his bluff.

Email me if you need help printing this shipping label for USPS First Class Mail.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

the item was shipped from toronto to califonia.
the date i opened my dispute the client responded acknowledging that he received the item, but he didn't offer to send it back or pay me again; the money has been refunded. there are some bad people out there 😞
here's his response:

"Item was paid for immediately and shipped by seller w/in 24 hours. Postal service delayed item
significantly, which resulted in agreement between seller and buyer not to complete transaction before
item was received by buyer."
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

If it is within 60 days of purchase... Go to the feedback page... and respond to eBay's

Report a problem with this transaction
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
I would Place my bets it's a goner, I myself had another Hit from Italy and the buyer files a dispute at paypal not even 10 bussness days from shipment & Italy has so many costom stops light Packet or small take at least that much time, also in the past Italy was a Country many sellers stopped shipping to

There were to many item not received disputes, at least this time around Paypal waited over 30 Days to refund him

always ship at the Min. to Italy via small Packet and you can file a insurance claim at least.

I would rather spend a few bucks more and at least have the insurance to collect.

Good Luck 🙂
T.J.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply