Another inconvenient change on the SELL SIMILAR ITEM procedure

Dear Sellers,

Seems that there is another inconvenient change in the system when we are processing SAVE SIMILAR function for one item.

When I process an individual SAVE SIMILAR ITEM transaction for some reason(s) the system wipes out the parcel’s weight that was entered for the original item and it creates a big time inconvenience for the items with calculated shipping costs.

Of course, I attend the weight's field to change the number if needed, but if the change is not required, I do not know what to enter until I check the weight with my scale. But in most cases there is no need to check the weight due to similarity of the items.

If I disregard this empty field, the system will not let me to finalize listing asking to complete the weight’s number.

I hope this is a glitch because when I do SELL SIMILAR in bulk there are no any demands for weights’ entries.

Did anyone experience such a problem in last few days?

Any recommendations?

Thank you

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sell Similar has wiped out different fields for quite a while. This is not new.

I use sell silimar and my item specifics get wiped out. This started quite a while ago.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Me too, and then when I try to relist I get a message saying my listings are missing item specifics. Well, that is because they are deleted by eBay.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

This has been happening for quite some time, as 'mr-elmwood' mentioned.

I think the explanation given by the eBay.ca reps at one point was that because eBay considers a "Sell Similar" item as, in effect, a brand new listing, it can't have identical item specifics as a previous (or existing) listing. 

This does make some sense I suppose, although I there are probably times when a Sell Similar item may have identical item specifics to something already listed, but actually not be an identical listing. 

It can be though, I agree, a time-wasting irritant when listing.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

This has been happening for quite some time, as 'mr-elmwood' mentioned.

I think the explanation given by the eBay.ca reps at one point was that because eBay considers a "Sell Similar" item as, in effect, a brand new listing, it can't have identical item specifics as a previous (or existing) listing. 

This does make some sense I suppose, although I there are probably times when a Sell Similar item may have identical item specifics to something already listed, but actually not be an identical listing. 

It can be though, I agree, a time-wasting irritant when listing.

I used to notice that item specifics would disappear every once in a while when I used sell similar but I haven't had that problem in months so I'm surprised that some sellers see it happening each time.

I just used sell similar on a few listings on both .ca and .com and everything in the listing stayed the same, including shipping. Those listings used flat rate, not calculated  like the OP was using but I don't think that info should disappear either way.

You might be thinking of the discussion on UPC codes with Raphael. They were set up to disappear when sell similar was used but that was changed a while ago.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

When using the Bulk Editor to relist or 'sell similar' an item or items you may experience a completely different set of errors than you would if you had manipulated the listings one at a time. For example, if you go to 'sell similar' with a singular listing, you may find the process tries to match your item to one in the Product Catalogue and if it is incorrect or if you attempt to 'list without' it will currently consequently wipe clean all your item specifics and calculated weights. 

If you are using the Bulk Editor, you may either be greeted with 'no product found' orange flags or not. Be especially wary if you do not. This means a match may have been made and that it is now embedded in your lisitng. The details may or may not represent what you are actually trying to sell. These matches to the Product Catalogue to not appear with every Bulk Editor action; only once certain aspects of your listing are manipulated do they trigger the attention of the Product Catalogue. Check before you click submit. I once did not and then spent the remainder of my day correcting listings that had inadvertently been ruined by an incorrect ebay Product Catalogue matches to correct UPCs in my previously perfect listings.

Per se, this may be more a match-to-product-catalogue problem that is manifesting in another way and thereby distracting us from the true issue at hand. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I remain with the hope that this "disappeared" information is a glitch and will be fixed.

My thoughts are:

If they "PURPOSELY" wipe out the item's weight, why they do not do it for L-W-H ? These sizes affect the shipping cost as well.

If they take such an aggressive attitude towards the identity, why it is not extended to items with fixed shipping?

Why they do not wipe out the item's condition? Definitely the other item may have different characteristics about it and it is more important to show.

Hope Lizzie will refer this to proper people with eBay Canada.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

"Hope Lizzie will refer this to proper people with eBay Canada."

The monitors at Lithium do not get involved in eBay's business.  They only monitor posts to make sure they respect board posting policy.

I suggest you address the questions to Raphael, today, on the Weekly Board Hour"  It is open at this time.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/bd-p/23000000073

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Oh! You want a rational understanding!
Photobucket
Message 9 of 9
latest reply