Another shipping question !!!

jacqui.connolly1
Community Member

So I am new to Ebay and just sold two items this week, i shipped one to edmonton and one to the UK via CP .

Well I got dinged on shipping cost pretty good when shipping the UK. 18$ for airmail and  10$ if you want it to go by ship but it could take 2 months to get there!!!! I paid the 18$.

Can anyone give me some advise on cheapest ways to ship international. I'd rather not put shipping costs up to 18$ on my listings as I assume it will put alot of buyers off.

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Another shipping question !!!

"...as I assume it will put alot of buyers off."

Shipping cost by Canada Post are what they are. Not cheap! 😞

Better put a potential "buyer off" than make a sale where you lose money on shipping or where the buyer is most unhappy with the high shipping cost resulting in neutral or negative feedback.

Some sales are not worth having.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

jacqui.connolly1
Community Member

Thanks. Ya it really was not worth to sell this dress but I'll live and learn !!!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

LOL We've all " lived and Learned " re International shipping!!

Your not alone.Somethings are just not worth selling internationally.Also getting to the point where somethings are just not worth selling 😞

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Don't stop selling because of this.  The buyer likely saw what your quoted S&H charge was and jumped in fast to pay.  As a Canadian seller I always use the section for selected countries countries to ship to. I checkmark the USA only. Buyers from other countries are supposed to wait for a quote.  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Shipping cost by Canada Post are what they are

Faulty grammar aside, another Pierre Profundity....that says absolutely nothing.

Some sales are not worth having

What has any of this to do with the OP's experience?

She underestimated the cost of shipping overseas. Well, she'll not make that mistake again - that's a lesson learned.

$18 shipping will not necessarily make the potential buyer hit the Back button, if he or she wants the item badly enough. I've sent plenty of packages surface to Europe for over $20 in postage (still a crazy rate but what can you do?). My buyers were quite happy but they sure would not have paid $50 and more for air.

Don't dismiss surface shipping out of hand. The OP's package would very likely have reached the UK in 4 weeks or so....and the OP would have saved herself some money.

Whether sales are viable or not all depends on your profit margin. If you got a widget for free and sold it for $1 + shipping, you've made a 100% profit. 

Tom

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

jacqui.connolly1
Community Member

Yup, so I just changed my listings to ship to the US and everywhere else can email me for a quote...

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

toff3(792)

Whether sales are viable or not all depends on your profit margin. If you got a widget for free and sold it for $1 + shipping, you've made a 100% profit.

Tom

Well Tom...

If shipping cost 20 dollars... and Ebays commission on shipping is 10 or more percent...

Then they lost money, yes?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

enjoyabletreasures4u
Community Member

"Can anyone give me some advise on cheapest ways to ship international. I'd rather not put shipping costs up to 18$ on my listings as I assume it will put alot of buyers off".

Unfortunatly there is no other way.I am in the same situation + the worse is there are NO TRACKING numbers to any country from CANADA apart from shipping to USA.

Not easy to sell in Canada and having to ship to Europe,Southa America Or Australia.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Laidlaw,

Well, OK, I used an extreme example but I would point out that eBay charges commission on the lowest domestic rate.

My main point is that profitable sales on eBay are not limited to high-value, lightweight items.

Tom

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Enjoyable,

Don't get so hung up on tracking. 99.9% of mail is successfully delivered.

Tracking is an enticement by the postal systems to make you spend money and increase their revenues.

Tracking per se is next to useless. All it tells you is between which two points a mail piece disappeared. At that stage, who cares?

Tom

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Jacqui, Some of your shipping prices to the U.S. seem a bit high. For example, you have $13 shipping for the halter top to the U.S. via surface. Actually U.S. surface will not be available much longer...another day or two?? (international surface will still be available although I would recommend using international small packet air for most overseas items.)

Your halter top may be able to shipped at under 250 grams and if so, you could send it small packet air U.S. for $7.80 postage (or $10.10 if between 251-500gr).. You can add fees to the shipping cost for shipping materials or you might want to add those costs to the item price so that shipping doesn't seem quite so high.

For packages that are under 2cm deep, you can use light packet to the U.S. It might take some creative packaging but you could probably send the kids tshirt and perhaps the scarf as light packet. You could use a white poly bag with a light piece of cardboard or some sort of stiffener to keep it from bunching up....a file folder might work.  Cost for light packet USA under 250 grams is $2.65 plus tax.  Within Canada, you can use lettermail to ship items under 2cm deep. There is no tracking or insurance with light packet or lettermail.

Light packet and other shipping prices can be found here. http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/CPprices-e.pdf   See pg 24 for light packet US.

There's tons to learn about shipping but I'll mention one more thing. You might want to use calculated shipping within Canada so that you are charging less to buyers in western Canada and more for Ontario and east. If you use paypal to print your expedited parcel labels, you will receive an approximate 20% off of regular parcel counter prices. There is a way to account for that discount or part of that discount in your listing. There is info about that in post 5 in the following thread.

http://community.ebay.ca/topic/Seller-Central/Paypal-Shipping-Cost/3000008180?#msg3000052904

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

enjoyabletreasures4u
Community Member

If you mark in the shipping are ONLY USA other countries like UK will not see your listing.You have to check out countries like Germany,France etc.for them to have access to viewing your item/.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

One of the most difficult lessons in shipping is what services are worth paying for.

In my opinion, insurance is usually not. But if it is included in the cost of the service, then that should be mentioned to the buyer, if only because enough sketchey buyers do not quite understand the difference between insurance and tracking.

And it is well worth while adding a few pennies to your shipping and handling to self-insure. As toff3 says,the postal system is very reliable about delivering (eventually) but you will get some impatient and some crooked buyers claiming non-delivery. Use those self-insurance pennies to refund the buyer and ask that the refund be refunded when the parcel is delivered. Most people are honest (if nervous) and will refund.

Remember that the cost of insurance has to be higher than the cost of claims or the insurer would not be in business.

How much you add is hard to assess, since it depends on what category you are selling in. Mine is very low, because bookbuyers tend to be able to read. If you are selling electronics or dolls or horse tack or DVDs, your experience may differ.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

jacqui.connolly1
Community Member

Thanks all for the info 🙂

Message 15 of 15
latest reply