Anyone else get a personal call from eBay?

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Everyone,

Here I am sitting and working in my eBay store this morning and I received a phone call from eBay. Nothing like adding to my workload. They were calling to let me know that I have to change the prices on the more than 300 items that I have in my store that are .99 and also the paper that I have that is 50 cents. I won't be able to carry the 50 cent paper in my store any longer. No one is going to pay $1.00 for paper that retails for 50 cents! The other items...I can change by a penny. But, it's the extra work that is involved that irks me. Also, if I have purchases on an item...can't change the price unless I end the listing. I'm not to impressed.

Has anyone else received a call?

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

for_baby_and_you
Community Member
no I didn't but why are they asking you to change the prices?

Kasha

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Probably has something to do with the deal that ebay made with the large media sellers.

Monique

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Apparently eBay will no longer permit listings under $1.00. They said that they have found that 9 times out of 10 fraud is committed (not sure by who..buyer or seller) on items .99 and under. Makes no sense to me. This new rule goes into effect on February 20, but there is a grace period for all sellers to change their prices. They also mentioned that listings that are .99 and under cost 5 cents in the store while over $1.00 costs 3 cents. Definitely makes no sense.

Also...not sure what that media pricing is all about....they mention under 99 cent pricing. I guess what is good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander.

Susan
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

comics-rock
Community Member
"fraud"....what a load of rubbish....fraud happens most by buyers with high end items, not sellers with items less than 99 c..........they dont make ENOUGH money off those sales...thats why they dont want them. this is getting stupid....no wonder all the exec are selling off their shares.......sinking ship!!!
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

facestation
Community Member
Yes we received these calls 2 months ago when they were cracking down on exxesive s/h

We only were charging $4.99 and were selling old old car chargers (basically blowing them away for under cost) and they made us change to higher so we just stopped listing them.

Funny though because their were tons of other sellers selling the same ones for .01 and .49 yet nothing happend to them.

Moez
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

So that is why my competitor, whose 99 cent listings had all ended, relisted them at 1.50.......hmmmm.....good to know but it sucks that eBay can dictate prices.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

buyers find it fun to bid on items with starting bid at 0.01c or 0.99c
Also i usually sell items at a higher price if i start them at 99c rather than $99

ebay is mostly about auctions rights ?
but i guess what they don't like is the 99c items with $10 shipping as their insertion fee and comission will be much lower
and also the fact that some sellers use 99c items to increase feedbacks ?

but honestly what difference will 99c vs $1 make ?
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

comics-rock
Community Member
but honestly what difference will 99c vs $1 make ?

it means you don't sell it and have to pay to relist!!!
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

... it sucks that eBay can dictate prices ...

IMHO cannot. eBay being a major marketplace - that would be an open invitation to file an anti-trust claim.
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

buyers find it fun to bid on items with starting bid at 0.01c or 0.99c

The new minimum starting price only applies to Fixed Price and Store listings, you can still start auctions at $0.01 if you like.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

The new minimum starting price only applies to Fixed Price and Store listings, you can still start auctions at $0.01 if you like.

Also i usually sell items at a higher price if i start them at 99c rather than $99

Okay, so my competitor found out as I did when I started that if I started the listing at 99 cents, it generally sold for 99 cents. She is gradually raising her prices because she is finding that she is losing money. Since I am not on the hot seller list, I don't get as many bids for my products as some sellers do....starting bidding low doesn't work for everyone.
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
I can understand eBay not wanting .99 or less items as Fixed Price or store listings IF a seller were over inflating the shipping to avoid fees. However, I am not one of those sellers. Actually, I ship eyelets to the States cheaper than sellers in the States ship within the States. It is an example once again of what a few bad eggs in the bunch can do to all. I don't loose any money when I have my eyelets listed at .99 cents especially when I paid maybe 5 cents per package wholesale. And, shipping is exact plus envelope. No money made there! Susan
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

wesycool
Community Member
This doesn't make any sense. Even if you put your price at $1 for the new policy, eBay allows you to use the markdown price option to lower your price. Why would eBay waste their time to call people just to ask sellers to raise price? I don't think it was eBay who call you since I call eBay custommer service a lot of times and they told me that they rarely call customers unless it's an emergency. Otherwise, they will contact you by email only.
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi wesycool,

Actually eBay has called me several times over the past year. In the past it has been to work with me on ways to improve sales and with additional recommendations for my store. I've always appreciated their advice. I've not been able to follow through on all of their suggestions, but 99% of them! A week or so later a survey is sent to me to ask for my input on the reps suggestions. It's legit.

eBay does call.

Susan
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

I received this call.

Another money grab by eBay. I was actually coming here to smile and laugh at the way eBay rolls out these moronic things.

I guess I personally fit the profile of the sellers that they don't want on eBay anymore, because it seems like ALL of their changes directly affect me.

:P

John
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

ameroindustries
Community Member
ebay is getting baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23TomS5--nQ
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

wesycool
Community Member
lol that is a funny video
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

ameroindustries
Community Member
I only get calls when i do something bad 😄
LOL
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Here is a funnier one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60LFgyzXSL8

Bill

Message 20 of 23
latest reply