Anyone know of forwarding co that will send to Canada?

So frustrating, I go to buy something and it's only available in the US stores (not available on eBay and if it is the prices are astronomical). Does anyone know of a forwarding company that I can get to forward purchases to me in Ontario. Just small items like hair products and such. Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

In have used reship.com. on several occasions.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I too have used ReShip several times. No problem. Good service. Fast. Reasonable.

However, they are located in Portland, Oregon, so probably best for Western Canada importers.

There is a company in Buffalo/Niagara Falls, N,Y., - U.S.A. ToMe.com that probably is better for those located in Ontario. Google them for full details. I have not used,them, however they have been around for a long time.

Bill

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Sorry, too late to edit. Forgot to say that I am looking for a forwarding co. In the US, preferably close to the Ontario border so that I can get purchases sent to me in Ontario.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I haven't used any so can't recommend any particular one but there are a number of companies that will foward your parcels from the U.S.

If you are using first class international to foward your parcels, it doesn't matter where in the U.S. the company is located as it will be just one price to anywhere in Canada.  If you are close enough to the border have you thought about opening a U.S. postal box there?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The location of the company is not particularly important, because most of them are shipping to Asia or South America.

Remember that a freight forwarder is required to pay applicable duty and sales taxes on any shipment valued over $20CDN ($14USD) and will be charging you a service fee.

Just like the Global Shipping Program.

The question is whether the US companies will accept the forwarder's address.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

In have used reship.com. on several occasions.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I too have used ReShip several times. No problem. Good service. Fast. Reasonable.

However, they are located in Portland, Oregon, so probably best for Western Canada importers.

There is a company in Buffalo/Niagara Falls, N,Y., - U.S.A. ToMe.com that probably is better for those located in Ontario. Google them for full details. I have not used,them, however they have been around for a long time.

Bill

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Are you close to the border? If so get yourself a USPS PO box under their street addressing program and open a US bank account for a debit/credit card. Solves all the international headaches for shipping and payments and much cheaper, provided you aren't too far away from the border of course.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I live in Ontario also but chose them as they are tax free state - every little bit helps.  🙂

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@bl32 wrote:

Bill

Hi Bill.  I'm wondering if you'll fill in some blanks for me.  I've started the process several times but never went through with it.

As a buyer you plug the re-shippers address into paypal so the seller ships to the re-shipper.

Then the re-shipper ships to Canada.  What are the fees for doing that?  Can you request any type of shipping you like?

Also, you must lose all protections when using a company like that, no?

It seems risky to me.  What do you think?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Sylvie:

I signed up for Reship at reship.com several years ago. The sign up fee was and still is $5.00 one time with no renewal fee.

Handling is $.5.00 per shipment. No state sales tax on anything.

They have an online calculator allowing you to calculate the shipping costs based on dimensions, weight and value. They use USPS for their shipping from Portland which is handed off to Canada Post.

My purchases were all non eBay from firms such as Macy's, Target U.S.A. before they came to Canada, Ralph Lauren, etc.

I don't recall now if I paid by PayPal or a credit card, but I suspect a credit card.

Both sites (reship.com and U.S.A.2me.com) have a question and answer feature on their site.

Insofar as buyer protection, I don't know if protection is still in force on resellers. Probably best to ask PayPal directly.

Probably best to ask your other questions from the reshippers.

U.S.A.2me signup is $23.00, so Reship is cheaper by $18.0

Risky? Maybe, but I had no problems with 20-30 transactions.

I wish I had more answers for you. Sorry.

Bill

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thank You Bill.   Your message might give me more courage next time.   Appreciate the info.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Sylvie, I'm going to give Reship a try soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I haven't used any re shippers in USA but I use them all the time with Japan. Nothing from eBay so I can't comment on that.

i mostly buy from retailers that don't ship internationally, occasionally from Yahoo auction Japan. I never worried about buyer protection (there is none) or anything like that since I rarely buy anything super valuable... The most expensive single item I have bought is probably $150 CAD. I usually buy a bunch of random stuff but they can add up to a few hundred dollars per shipment. I have used different reshippers. Some tells you to send them the link of the item you want, and they charge a percentage of your item cost as the handling charge, some charge a fee to repackage multiple packages together into one. The one I currently use gives you a Japanese warehouse address + phone to use, so you can order online yourself (as long as the website takes foreign credit card) and have it sent to the warehouse, then you ask the warehouse to package everything together and mail it. 

I rarely (only twice) had problem with items arriving damaged but both occasions I can't get any insurance reimbursement from the reshippers because they kept telling me to go after Canada Post... (when it should be dealt with with Japan Post)... And I don't think I can actually get reimbursed anyway since the items were damaged but still useable. And they weren't pricey so I just let it go. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:
Sylvie, I'm going to give Reship a try soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes, thank you.  Please post and let me (us?) know how it goes.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply