April 15th 2015 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers!

This is the thread for our weekly chat. Please start posting at your convenience, we will see you at 1 PM Eastern as usual.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Hi,

A lot of us have been running into strange tracking issues or delays with USPS, has anyone else ran into this personally?

( https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Anyone-else-getting-delayed-packages-with-USPS/td-p/1... , various threads on etsy and amazon, etc)

It's becoming quite hard to manage the buyer disappointment/anger when USPS just stops scanning the items until delivered and various places (ebay, Canada Post) still show way more optimistic delivery standards (6 day tracked packet USA, etc.)  

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

@tcafal-nogikltb wrote:

Hi,

A lot of us have been running into strange tracking issues or delays with USPS, has anyone else ran into this personally?

( https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Anyone-else-getting-delayed-packages-with-USPS/td-p/1... , various threads on etsy and amazon, etc)

It's becoming quite hard to manage the buyer disappointment/anger when USPS just stops scanning the items until delivered and various places (ebay, Canada Post) still show way more optimistic delivery standards (6 day tracked packet USA, etc.)  

Hi tcafal-nogikltb,

This is the first I hear of issues with USPS. We'll keep an eye on it, thanks for flagging this.

Obviously this won't be a solution that will be ideal for every seller, but we've recently partnered with FedEx Canada to launch a pricing program exclusive for Canadian eBay sellers. They've set some really aggressive pricing for Canadian sellers on their FedEx Express services to Canadian, US and international addresses.

Since this is a public forum I cannot post the enrolment link here, but if anyone reading this is interested to know more, please reach me via email.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Why does Ebay waste so much time making useless changes, this time the summary page, and not allowing us to set it up the way we want or the best for the one using it. Sellers do not want watches and purchase prior to sales info.

Whose bright idea, NOT, was this and is it permanent?

Why do they not, or refuse to, spend more productive time fixing the cart and combined shipping?

They are doing absolutely nothing to help buyers, or sellers no matter what they do.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

.com has the option for re-stocking fee settings, yet .ca does not??? WHY??? such a simple little setting and .ca is denied this setting. It is a total pain with the new return procedure.

.com has a no hassle cart for combined shipping??? WHY??? are we being denied of these options and settings??? At what point are Canadian sellers going to stop getting ripped off !?!? 

We pay full fees and subscriptions the same as any other ebay seller yet we have a fraction of the functionality, settings, and benefits we pay for.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Good Afternoon, can you let us know what happened to our Ebay summary page yesterday? The dramatic change in look and functionality came as a shock. Since this is our own personalized page showing our listed items, sold items, watched items etc. why did it need to be manipulated by ebay so that it looks a certain way. Having purchased and watching items appear first and anything pertaining to selling or sold items way down a the bottom with what appears to be no way to move them is a bit distressing. It was an odd day yesterday as ebay obviously moved back and forth from the current format to the new one. My ebay summary page shifted several times back and forth. I understand that the site is being manipulated to try and make it better for mobile users but how does my personal ebay summary page play into that.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Good afternoon,

I have three questions today, to be answered at your leisure, please.

When I was using the window-pane feature of the Bulk ReListing Tool over the weekend, I had some odd issues with Item Descriptions being copied from one listing to another, unrelated one without my consent or direction to do so. Is there a way to easily relay these problems to a tech support department? If so, how is that done?

On an unrelated note, when I had a problem with a different issue altogether on eBay.co.uk recently, I used their Chat feature to contact Customer Service and, I have to tell you, it was the best eBay Customer Service experience that I have ever had with ebay, hands down. My problem was completely resolved within 15 to 20 minutes. Compare and contrast to a very similar problem here which took approximately six weeks and no fewer than five calls to Customer Service as well as several Report reports prior to that. Is there any plan to bring Chat with Customer Service to eBay.ca? 

I've started all my new listings with the Product Identifiers and they produce what I expect to see in searches now if I search by the UPC afterwards. (There is still no sign of anything existing that I list in the ebay.ca Catalogue even when I can find it on eBay.com. So I'm doing everything from scratch.) Does that mean I am the one populating the eBay Product Catalogue with my time and effort and therefore making it easier for everyone with a competing product to come along afterwards and sell what I sell instead with ease? 

Thank you for your time,

Maureen 

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Why does Ebay waste so much time making useless changes, this time the summary page, and not allowing us to set it up the way we want or the best for the one using it. Sellers do not want watches and purchase prior to sales info.

Whose bright idea, NOT, was this and is it permanent?

Why do they not, or refuse to, spend more productive time fixing the cart and combined shipping?

They are doing absolutely nothing to help buyers, or sellers no matter what they do.

Hi dutchman48,

What changed yesterday were only the My eBay Summary and Purchase History pages. These were moved to a new backend system which is the platform towards which the whole site is slowly being migrated. In the process, it appears that the default My eBay page has been reset to My eBay Summary. I'm not sure whether this was intended and we've flagged this to the appropriate US team.

In the meantime, here is a way to set your default page back to what you want it to be (for sellers I recommend All Selling or Selling Manager Summary if you're a subscriber):

1. Go to My eBay, any page
  2. In the left nav, go to Searches You Follow
  3. Click the Change link at the top of the page
  4. Select what My eBay page you want as your default and click Apply.

My_eBay_Searches_you_follow.png

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

That does not give a summary, only 1 area if i read correctly.

Does no one test anything any more prior to implementation?

Why could they not have moved it as it was? Obviously someone changed it and did not look or test!

These idiotic needless problems are really getting buyers and sellers very upset

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Why could they not have moved it as it was? Obviously someone changed it and did not look or test!

These idiotic needless problems are really getting buyers and sellers very upset

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

.com has the option for re-stocking fee settings, yet .ca does not??? WHY??? such a simple little setting and .ca is denied this setting. It is a total pain with the new return procedure.

Hi merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

The restocking fee feature is available only to sellers who opted into Managed Returns, a program currently only offered on eBay.com. Contrary to what you may think, it's far from being a "simple little setting" as it requires significant added functionality so that returns can be processed with a refund minus the restocking fee. As you already know, we have very limited resources and the Managed Returns program has implications that go beyond the eBay site and which we are unable to implement in Canada for now.

.com has a no hassle cart for combined shipping??? WHY??? are we being denied of these options and settings??? At what point are Canadian sellers going to stop getting ripped off !?!?

eBay.ca actually has an even better shopping cart that can combine any item listed on any eBay site in any currency. If I had to call one of the eBay shopping carts "no hassle for combined shipping" it would have to be the Canadian one.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@amya4295 wrote:

Good Afternoon, can you let us know what happened to our Ebay summary page yesterday? The dramatic change in look and functionality came as a shock. Since this is our own personalized page showing our listed items, sold items, watched items etc. why did it need to be manipulated by ebay so that it looks a certain way. Having purchased and watching items appear first and anything pertaining to selling or sold items way down a the bottom with what appears to be no way to move them is a bit distressing. It was an odd day yesterday as ebay obviously moved back and forth from the current format to the new one. My ebay summary page shifted several times back and forth. I understand that the site is being manipulated to try and make it better for mobile users but how does my personal ebay summary page play into that.

Hi amya4295,

Thanks for your feedback. Please refer to my previous post in response to dutchman48 for steps to set your My eBay homepage to what you prefer.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Could you please be more specific? If you select Selling Manager Summary as your My eBay homepage, you can actually edit that page 100% to your liking with whatever selling-related modules right at the top.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hi merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

The restocking fee feature is available only to sellers who opted into Managed Returns, a program currently only offered on eBay.com. Contrary to what you may think, it's far from being a "simple little setting" as it requires significant added functionality so that returns can be processed with a refund minus the restocking fee. As you already know, we have very limited resources and the Managed Returns program has implications that go beyond the eBay site and which we are unable to implement in Canada for now.

eBay.ca actually has an even better shopping cart that can combine any item listed on any eBay site in any currency. If I had to call one of the eBay shopping carts "no hassle for combined shipping" it would have to be the Canadian one.

Having the "best" shopping cart on eBay is useless if it does not work with the biggest market for Canadian sellers which is the USA and ebay.com.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@amya4295 wrote:

Hi amya4295,

Thanks for your feedback. Please refer to my previous post in response to dutchman48 for steps to set your My eBay homepage to what you prefer.

please see my comments of your work around above. I think I figures out how to add a quote

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Good afternoon,

I have three questions today, to be answered at your leisure, please.

When I was using the window-pane feature of the Bulk ReListing Tool over the weekend, I had some odd issues with Item Descriptions being copied from one listing to another, unrelated one without my consent or direction to do so. Is there a way to easily relay these problems to a tech support department? If so, how is that done?

Hi Maureen,

I'm happy to review & forward your report to the appropriate team. Please send me as many details as you can via email (your computer and operating system's vitals as well as screen shots if you can). raphael@ebay.com

@mjwl2006 wrote:
On an unrelated note, when I had a problem with a different issue altogether on eBay.co.uk recently, I used their Chat feature to contact Customer Service and, I have to tell you, it was the best eBay Customer Service experience that I have ever had with ebay, hands down. My problem was completely resolved within 15 to 20 minutes. Compare and contrast to a very similar problem here which took approximately six weeks and no fewer than five calls to Customer Service as well as several Report reports prior to that. Is there any plan to bring Chat with Customer Service to eBay.ca?  

Chances are that you just got a much better agent to help you via live chat. Our research shows that in general, phone support usually resolves problems with much less need for recontact than live chat did, which was a big reason for migrating to phones only. In any case, there are no current plans to bring live chat back for North America support.

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I've started all my new listings with the Product Identifiers and they produce what I expect to see in searches now if I search by the UPC afterwards. (There is still no sign of anything existing that I list in the ebay.ca Catalogue even when I can find it on eBay.com. So I'm doing everything from scratch.) Does that mean I am the one populating the eBay Product Catalogue with my time and effort and therefore making it easier for everyone with a competing product to come along afterwards and sell what I sell instead with ease?  

The eBay catalogue doesn't get updated with user-generated Item Specifics, so the answer to your question would be no.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Hi Raphael, two questions today:

1)  I'd like to know if there is a way I can view my store home page through the eyes of a mobile user (I don't own a mobile, nor does anybody that I could reasonably ask to test this). 

Is there a URL that you could suggest that would give sellers a look at how their storefronts appear to mobile users?  Or how about checking my storefront and taking a screen shot?  Since I'm using the "old" store design, I'm sure that would be representative of what a lot of sellers would see.

2)  Has there been any further discussion or progress on the .com cart disconnect issue?  I'd especially like to know whether eBay HQ has given any indication of a change in their view on its priority.  Surely they must have noticed the recent eCommerce Bytes article?  That article made eBay sound embarrassingly incompetent in relation to other online selling venues. 

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

"eBay.ca actually has an even better shopping cart that can combine any item listed on any eBay site in any currency. "

Really?  I could purchase two items from the same seller on eBay.uk, an item from eBay.au, three items from different Canadian sellers (some listed in US$, some in Cdn$) and four items each from two different American sellers (US$) and everything will combine in one currency (presumably Cdn$) in my shopping cart so I make only one payment.  Really?

Wow!  I am impressed.

Why are there so many complaints by Canadian users about using the shopping cart?  I also vaguely recall you suggesting Canadian sellers should list on eBay.com (not eBay.ca) to avoid problems with the shopping cart.  Now I am confused (what else is new?)

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Could you please be more specific? If you select Selling Manager Summary as your My eBay homepage, you can actually edit that page 100% to your liking with whatever selling-related modules right at the top.

I must be having a blond day because selling manager summary is totally different then Ebay summary and has totally different information. When you try to change, it appears you can only add and derlete areas. not move stuff around.

This is not what I want as I do use selling manager summary but for totally different things

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
Having the "best" shopping cart on eBay is useless if it does not work with the biggest market for Canadian sellers which is the USA and ebay.com.

Precisely!

Message 20 of 28
latest reply