Are items sent to Canada by GSP repacked at the KY center?

reffy
Community Member

A recent purchase, an old metal horse figurine made of brittle metal, arrived with a broken leg. It was shipped via the Global Shipping Program, and I wonder if the breakage was the fault of the seller, or if the item was REpacked in Kentucky, or wherever, by someone who doesn't know that old metal figurines are brittle and have to be packed carefully. (I don't get how the GSP works or why it even exists. Why don't sellers just sent straight to the buyer?) I don't want to leave neg. feedback if the breakage occurred because someone at GSP screwed up. Advice will be gratefully received.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Are items sent to Canada by GSP repacked at the KY ce...

File an Item Not As Described dispute with the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

Make sure to say that the item was sent through the Global Shipping Program.

Usually this means that the GSP/Pitney Bowes will refund you and you will not be required to return the item to the seller (or the GSP) with tracking.

Yes, there have been reports of the GSP plant workers opening parcels, probably to reassess items for duty when the seller did not make clear the origin of the item.

Used (including antique ) items don' t attract duty, but do attract sales tax.

Since the workers are (probably/undoubtedly) working on deadline, careless repacking is to be expected.

Sigh.

The fault for the repacking is with the GSP, but the seller shares some responsibility for not making the customs status clear.

Mind you, many sellers don't even know they are enrolled in the GSP and don't know what is needed for it to work properly.

Sigh.

Why don't sellers just sent straight to the buyer?

Because the seller's responsibility for packaging and delivery ends in Kentucky when the GSP takes over.

This is a great relief to many paranoid/xenophobic sellers who are terrified of selling to furriners.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

That is terribly unfortunate. Femmefan has the right of it.

There are other threads specific to the GSP which are run by ebay proper as a means of monitoring the relative success of the program. If you haven't already, maybe write a quick post to share your experience. Eventually, there will be a tipping point at which I would assume the hub stops repacking things. (Or maybe they only do when sellers don't clarify the content well enough, and seller education is the key here.)

If eBay Canada were ever to adopt a GSP, I'd never, ever as a seller opt into it unless I could be guaranteed no one would open my outbound parcels to repackage them. My customs forms are always spot-on and I spare no expense in making sure my stuff is packed so that it arrives at its destination safely. 

It's heartbreaking for a seller to have something wrecked en route to a buyer. Never more so than with something vintage. What a shame! 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If eBay Canada ever adopts that damm GSP then i will move on or only buy from those vendors who dont participate in it.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Same thing happened to me. I only buy from USA sellers who do not use the GSP. I live on a farm and have a Box # in town. The GSP won't deliver to Box numbers and will only drop off at a designated address in the City. I made a round trip for a total of 102 miles. Had to pay courier cost and a 10.00 re-handling fee and two brooches were missing. It's not worth the hassle...Ace

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

That sounds awful. Have you left an account of your experience with the Global Shipping Program thread on ebay Community? It's valuable for the people who make decisions to know what experience the end user, the buyer, has with it.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank-you MJ for your kind response. These boards are hard for me to navigate. They have gotten so complicated since the "good ol" Days" of eBay Lol! Since I only buy items from US sellers who do not use the GSP, it's been a really good buying experience. I don't think USA sellers realize how much they lose by using the GSP method of shipping. They've been sold a bill of goods that once they send an item to International buying customers, they're free from accountability because the owness falls on the GSP to deal with. I am a collector of vintage Trifari items and other vintage jewellery . If you look at my feedback, it's full of items from US sellers who DO NOT use the GSP. I am interested in Jelly Bellys and I look at the method of shipping. If the US seller ships only the GSP, I move on... Eventually I find the item I'm on the hunt for with US sellers who don't use this aggravating GSP. In my "Sellers you follow" it's loaded with US sellers who do not use this GSP. I have purchased from them over and over. I pay duty at the post office when they arrive. Why the heck would I buy from sellers who use GSP and pay courier and tracking???... Ace
Message 8 of 8
latest reply