Are some sellers clever or out to lunch?

I know many of us Canadians don't get free shipping on deals available to us here when compared to south of the border .

I was checking out prices for a Bosch 11258 VSR hammer drill on amazon.ca and ebay and found an identical tool both with free shipping ,the one on amazon was $99 ,and to my surprise the one on ebay was ,,,,$399 !! 

Bosch 4.8amp 5/8 rotary hammer drill FREE SHIPPING!!!

Mods don't delete the link below,it is from amazon.ca ,not ebay:

http://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-11258VSR-8-Inch-SDS-Plus-Rotary/dp/B000VZIG8W

So do some ebay sellers really think  Canadian buyers are so uninformed  that any seller could buy the said tool from amazon .ca and put it up on ebay at almost $300 profit?

I have seen some people buy low price items from places like Costco and sell them at a higher price on Kijiji but this one really ticked me off.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

tobyshitzu
Community Member

lots of things sell on ebay for 4X what major retailers are selling them for.  I don't get it either, but Im glad it happens

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

lots of things sell on ebay for 4X what major retailers are selling them for.  I don't get it either, but Im glad it happens

Well, yes, that's quite true, but eventually buyers will clue in, get fed up (like the OP) and go elsewhere first -- not a happy result for sellers, or for eBay generally. 

I think it's in sellers' best interests to offer the lowest price possible, while keeping in mind their necessary profit margins.  I often think that inflated prices I see on eBay are more the result of seller inexperience and/or lack of proper research in making sure their prices are in line with competitors rather than pure, unmitigated greed. 

Whatever the reason, in the long run sellers will lose if buyers lose, so I don't see why this should be a matter of rejoicing for sellers. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

Some US sellers seem to think that we live in the Arctic and items are not readily available and we will pay anything to get it. LOL

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@nan*55 wrote:

Some US sellers seem to think that we live in the Arctic and items are not readily available and we will pay anything to get it. LOL

Haha!  Have they sold you any igloos lately (packed in expensive insulated containers of course)? Woman Very Happy

We could probably use them this winter (LOL). 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Although that could be true but the seller I was refering to is in ,canada,as  mentioned he seems to be very inexperience. his wishful thinking /greed is only going bite him in the rear  end unless he smartens up.

I must admit great majority of Canadian ebay sellers( in my experience )are well in tune with ebay rules,prices ,very  honest and can certainly teach a thing or two to the US sellers.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

There are 4 ebay listings for that item and they range from $144 - $399. The one you are looking at on Amazon is actually sold by Amazon so they probably buy in bulk at a low cost. The sellers who are more expensive may be buying just one or two drills at a much higher price than what Amazon paid. It's also possible that those sellers bought the drill from Amazon so they need to charge more in order to make a profit. Not everyone buys an item for the same price. Many small sellers buy sale items from other retailers.

Whatever the case is, some buyers do not shop around and will end up paying more. Or in some cases they might be more comfortable on a particular site or with a particular seller. I've sold some items that could be bought for less here but for some reason the buyer chose to buy from me. That's a good thing! Of course in my case the items were not 4 times as much...I have to admit that is a huge difference.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

There are some items that are rare in the USA or Europe but are actually much more common and accessible in Canada. (Believe it or not).

Message 8 of 8
latest reply