August 13th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

This week, on the heels of the 2014 Fall Seller Update announcement, Rodney, Ryanne and I will be joined by Sonu, from the Post Transaction team out of the San Jose headquarters. Please go ahead and start posting your questions and comments, we will start answering at 1 pm Eastern.

See you then!

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: August 13th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

@canuckchick wrote:

I'm looking for the clothing fitting charts that used to be on ebay.ca.  Can you tell me where they went?   Search finds nothing, even the a-z site finds nothing.  Thank you

Hi canuckchick,

Is this what you were looking for?

http://pages.ebay.ca/sell/sizechart.html

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 21 of 68
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

On the 2014 Fall Update thread, Raphael wrote earlier today:

"Sellers are still going to be able to dictate their own return policy and won't be required to pay for return shipping unless the item they sent was significantly not as described. "

Currently, if a buyer files a complaint that the goods are not as described, the buyer will be required by eBay/PayPal (depending on site of transaction) to return the item to the seller with tracking, paying for the return postage.

If I understand your post correctly, with the changes, Canadian sellers (regardless of their policy) will be obligated to pay for return postage - with tracking - should eBay/PayPal agree with the buyer that the "goods are not as described".

Is that correct?

Next question: If an overseas buyer receives a $12 item and claims (with eBay/PayPal agreeing) that the item is not as described, will eBay force the Canadian seller to pay huge amount of money (up to $30/$40 in some instances) to cover the cost of returning - with tracking - such $12 item to the Canadian seller?

Will someone, somewhere, use common sense?

This leads to the final question: does that make any sense to you?

Hello pierrelebel,

We are still ironing out such details and will make them available as the launch date gets closer. We are working diligently to ensure that common sense is indeed observed and that the policy is as fair as possible for everyone. Sorry to not have more to say about this at this time.

Message 22 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pierrelebel wrote:

Yesterday afternoon, eBay.com announced several changes to the User Agreement to incorporate the policy changes announced with the Fall 2014 Update:

http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/08/updates-to-the-ebay-user-agreement-user-privacy-notice-and-mon...

No such similar announcement has been made yet on eBay.ca.

First question: Will there be similar changes to the eBay.ca User Agreement?

Second question: When will they be announced?

Third question: How are Canadian sellers (including legacy users) affected by the changes of the User Agreement on eBay.com?

Fourth question: Are Canadian sellers affected in any way by the changes on eBay.com when they list on eBay.com and sell to residents of the USA?

Hi pierrelebel.

A similar announcement re changes to the user agreement will go up on eBay.ca soon. The changes will be identical. There is in fact only one eBay user agreement that we translate into many languages. It is in the process of being localized and deployed for Canadians and this will happen soon. The user agreement changes applies to all users, irrespective of which site they registered on, or where they list. The process of notifying all users in all countries typically takes a few weeks.

Hope that helps.

Message 23 of 68
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Sellers are still going to be able to dictate their own return policy and won't be required to pay for return shipping unless the item they sent was significantly not as described. "

I forgot the obvious question:

Since sellers are able to dictate their own return policy, what happens when a Canadian seller states in the listing that "no return will be accepted" but eBay/Pay find in favour of an overseas buyer claiming "goods not as described" for an item sold for $12 plus $6 shipping (Light packet).

Will eBay/PayPal remove $18 from the seller's PayPal account?

Will the seller be refunded eBay FVF and PayPal fees?

Will eBay/PayPal issue a postage label to the buyer and charge the seller's account, regardless of the fact the seller's policy is not to accept return?

Or will eBay/PayPal simply take the money from the seller ($18) and tell the overseas buyer to keep the "not as described" goods?

Final question: will changing their return policy to "no return accepted" somehow affect Canadian sellers in default search results on eBay.com?  on eBay.ca? on other eBay international sites?

As stated earlier, these are all details that are being currently decided on. We will make this information available as we get closer to the launch date.

Message 24 of 68
latest reply

Hi Pierre

This is what I got yesterday to a similar question

Hi dutchman48.

1. When a buyer asks us to step in and help, we will do our best to make a fair determination. There are a number of protections we have put in place for sellers too, as laid out in our Spring seller announcement.

2. This will apply to both domestic and cross border sales, in cases where the item is significantly not as described.

3. Even with great photos, clear descriptions, and terrific communication, returns are still going to happen, and sometimes for the item not being as described - for example, when an item breaks in transit. You're right - return shipping can be more expensive than outbound in some cases. One strategy is to consider putting return labels into your packaging as a matter of course. For example, Canada Post has a returns product for businesses that only charges the sellers Canada Post account when if and when the label is actually used. It's great for buyers, and it's a way for sellers to ship returns at a contract rate.

Message 25 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pierrelebel wrote:

Reading information on eBay.com, it seems that the requirement for sellers to pay for return postage - with tracking - only applies to "domestic" transactions (both sellers and buyers located in USA)...

... while the information on eBay.ca states that all transactions, including international, will require payment of return postage - with tracking - by seller should eBay/PayPal find the "goods not as described".

Is the difference between eBay.ca and eBay.com correct?

Does that make sense to you?

Hi pierrelebel.

Can you kindly point me to the place where you are seeing "domestic only" for the return policy on eBay.com? Perhaps when I see the context I can explain it.

Message 26 of 68
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:
Technical problem: as soon as I'm logged in in the forum, I can't log out of them. The link has completely disappeared. Also, as I am writing this message, even if I chose "Rich text", I can't add bold or italic, because all those options are gone. The "Quote" or "Options" functions don't work either. When I click on them, they bring me back at the top of the page.

Hi Lady.stark,

We will alert the folks that manage the forum backend for us regarding this issue. In the meantime I would suggest trying a different web browser instead of the current one you are using right now. For example, if you are using Internet Explorer try Google Chrome and/or vise versa.

Thanks for letting us know.

Bryan

Message 27 of 68
latest reply

In regards to Pierre's question and your reply, Here is what is says

Consistent After-Sale Experience. We updated the policy to reflect that we're simplifying the after-sale experience for buyers and sellers with a new improved return process that gives buyers a more convenient and consistent way to return items—right from My eBay. Many of our sellers who use eBay hassle-free returns are paying for return shipping on faulty or not-as-described items. Starting September 15, an initial group of sellers, (and after a transition period, all remaining sellers) will be responsible for return shipping on items which are faulty or not-as-described. Many sellers are facilitating returns for faulty or not as described items, but for those sellers who choose not to facilitate a return or provide a return shipping label for a faulty or not as described item, we may refund their buyers without requiring the buyers to return the item, and in turn seek reimbursement from sellers

Message 28 of 68
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Good morning!  I may not be at my computer later, so wanted to post these questions now.  

a) With regard to the changes that will be phased in for "hassle-free returns", are there any accommodations being made for Canadian sellers dealing with buyers outside Canada who ask for returns?  

b)  Specifically, if I understand the new policy, once a buyer requests a return, the cost of the return shipping label will be charged to the seller's eBay account.  I assume "return shipping" will always mean tracked shipping?  Is that correct?  Such shipping will be far more costly for Canadian sellers than for their U.S. counterparts dealing with U.S. customers.  Is anything being done to mitigate this for Canadian sellers?

c)  How will eBay determine whether a buyer's reason for a return is bona fide, or won't it matter anymore?  In other words, is this truly a "no questions asked" return policy, making buyer remorse an acceptable reason for returns? 

d)  Lastly, I understand buyers will be able to cancel a transaction within an hour of purchase.  Is this correct?  If so, how does eBay reconcile this with its warning to buyers that committing to buy is a contract?  Or isn't it anymore? 

My concern is that these policies, once fully in place, will become ruinous for smaller Canadian sellers faced with U.S. or international buyers who can automatically request a return or back out of a transaction for basically any reason.  Can your representative from San Jose give us any reason to hope for consideration for our particular situation?

Hello rose-dee,

a) Hassle-Free Returns only applies for seller shipping from inside the US. For the time being we don't have the resources necessary to replicate that program in Canada.

b) As stated above, HFR won't apply for most Canadian sellers. There will be some sort of similar set of rules under the new Post-Transaction policy on eBay.ca, but the specific details of how that will work are still being discussed. We will make these announcements when we get closer to the launch date.

c) HFR does not apply to Canadian sellers.

d) Buying or committing to buy still constitutes a contract. All we're doing here is put measures in place to make the eBay marketplace more on par with a real life shopping experience.  

Message 29 of 68
latest reply

please see my post at the end and explain the contadiction

Consistent After-Sale Experience. We updated the policy to reflect that we're simplifying the after-sale experience for buyers and sellers with a new improved return process that gives buyers a more convenient and consistent way to return items—right from My eBay. Many of our sellers who use eBay hassle-free returns are paying for return shipping on faulty or not-as-described items. Starting September 15, an initial group of sellers, (and after a transition period, all remaining sellers) will be responsible for return shipping on items which are faulty or not-as-described. Many sellers are facilitating returns for faulty or not as described items, but for those sellers who choose not to facilitate a return or provide a return shipping label for a faulty or not as described item, we may refund their buyers without requiring the buyers to return the item, and in turn seek reimbursement from sellers

Message 30 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Regarding this link that was posted to the boards yesterday:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/selling-across-borders-details.html

What does this mean for Canadian buyers? There doesn't seem to be much love for the GSP around here and buyer after buyer after buyer have come to the two tacked Buyer Central threads to state that they will never buy or never buy again from a GSP seller. Is eBay trying to force the use of the GSP upon us?

Hi 00nevermind00.

For Canadian buyers, this means we are growing the amount of inventory available for Canadians to buy on our platform. The goal is to continue to make it easier for US sellers to export to Canada, and to open up nearly all US inventory to Canadians. That's a good thing.

At the same time, we have been listening to Canadian buyers, and you're right - they have not been shy about telling us how they feel about the Global Shipping program! Our work is not done on that front - so even as we work with US sellers to open up more inventory, we are also seeking ways to make GSP items more attractive and affordable to Canadian buyers either through improvements and ehancements to the program, or even by replacing how it works entirely. More to come on that front.

Message 31 of 68
latest reply

This is total insanity and opening doors for every scammer in the world

Message 32 of 68
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Yesterday afternoon, eBay.com announced several changes to the User Agreement to incorporate the policy changes announced with the Fall 2014 Update:

http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/08/updates-to-the-ebay-user-agreement-user-privacy-notice-and-money-back-guarantee/

No such similar announcement has been made yet on eBay.ca.

First question: Will there be similar changes to the eBay.ca User Agreement?

Second question: When will they be announced?

Third question: How are Canadian sellers (including legacy users) affected by the changes of the User Agreement on eBay.com?

Fourth question: Are Canadian sellers affected in any way by the changes on eBay.com when they list on eBay.com and sell to residents of the USA?

Hi pierrelebel.

A similar announcement re changes to the user agreement will go up on eBay.ca soon. The changes will be identical. There is in fact only one eBay user agreement that we translate into many languages. It is in the process of being localized and deployed for Canadians and this will happen soon. The user agreement changes applies to all users, irrespective of which site they registered on, or where they list. The process of notifying all users in all countries typically takes a few weeks.

Hope that helps.

As a buyer, does this mean sellers in Europe or Asia will provide return shipping to Canadians?

Message 33 of 68
latest reply

In real life shopping, the merchant dictates the terms of selling and returns. Ebay is not the merchant as they have stated over and over again.

Message 34 of 68
latest reply

China will be exempt

Message 35 of 68
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Two final questions about the new returns policy:

1) If a buyer claims an item is not as described, defective or damaged, and processes a return request, what process will the seller have available to him/her to verify the buyer's claim before being charged for return shipping? 

2)  If a seller in such an instance requests a photo and damage is obvious, what happens if the seller decides he/she has no use for the item and doesn't want it returned?  Will the seller be able to block the shipping charge process, or will there be a procedure to claim a refund later?  If so, how does the seller show the label was never used?  Or, if the buyer uses the label  anyway, regardless of what the seller wants, will the seller still be able to get a refund for the unwanted return?  This whole procedure isn't making sense to me. 

Once again, these apply to HFR which isn't relevant to eBay Canada. With that said, the buyer and seller are always welcome to agree to resolve between themselves, if that means not returning an item that's fine. Lastly, I believe shipping labels used for returns are of the "charge at scan" type, which only gets charged to the purchaser once they are introduced into the mail stream. Hence, if a label doesn't get used, no one gets charged for it.

Message 36 of 68
latest reply

I think it is only under the managed returns it is domestic. INR or SNAD is international. Correct me if I am wrong

Message 37 of 68
latest reply

My understanding of returns...

If a seller stipulates no returns....and ...a buyer asks for a return...

Seller has an option, either accept or refuse the return.....  and buyer gets refunded.

--- Refunded immediately if there is no return required .... as indicated by the seller

--- Refunded only after the item has been received,  as a return,   by the seller... and only after acceptance of a return  by the seller.

The seller  has control over the return process....

Two questions

(1) Is this interpretation correct?

(2) The second question/comment relates to a seller's control of returns.....  

If a seller stipulates no returns....  Does that put the seller in full control of the return process......  allowing for returns only  in certain situations..

and in so doing minimizes the cost of return postage..

If what I have said is correct... should then all Canadian sellers follow a no return policy,  and accept returns only under certain conditions....  as defined by the seller....

Message 38 of 68
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
Ebay is using the new return policy to force more USA sellers to use GSP for international shipping. Those sellers are not responsible for returns on GSP shipments. GSP will issue refunds and no return required.

If an item is not as received as it is deemed to be the seller's fault, isn't the seller then responsible and has to refund the buyer? In that case, wouldn't they also have to pay for the return of the item?

Perhaps one of the reps can answer this.

Message 39 of 68
latest reply

weekly chat has been cancelled on .com for today. Reading the update postings, no one wants to deal with the issues

Message 40 of 68
latest reply