B.C.'s carbon tax is a colossal failure!

valve37
Community Member

“the B.C. carbon tax is regressive, shifting ever more of the province’s tax burden onto working people, while reducing taxes on corporations. It will do nothing to cut emissions or slow global warming.”

http://climateandcapitalism.com/2012/07/03/bc-carbon-tax-a-predictable-failur/

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

marnotom!
Community Member

...the tax shift has benefited all taxpayers in that cuts to income and other taxes have exceeded carbon tax revenues by $500 million from 2008-12.

and

The study concludes that on the basis of available evidence, BC's carbon tax has been a highly effective policy to date, contributing both to a significant reduction in fossil fuel use per capita, with no evidence of overall adverse economic impacts. However, it cautions, further economic analysis is needed to reach more firm conclusions about these effects and their causality.

From:  http://www.globe-net.com/articles/2013/july/24/bc%27s-carbon-tax-an-environmental-and-economic-succe...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

And Australia's also!

Australia’s new PM vows to scrap carbon tax

"CANBERRA, Australia – Australia’s new government prepared to take control of the nation Sunday, with Prime Minister-elect Tony Abbott vowing to immediately scrap a hated tax on carbon polluters and implement a controversial plan to stop asylum seekers from reaching the nation’s shores. Abbott met with bureaucrats to go over his border security plans and said his first priority would be to repeal the deeply unpopular carbon tax on Australia’s biggest industrial polluters."

http://globalnews.ca/news/826325/australias-new-pm-vows-to-scrap-carbon-tax/

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

"his first priority would be to repeal the deeply unpopular carbon tax"

There seems to be a universal theme everywhere around the world:  a newly elected government repeals or reduces an unpopular tax.  We have not seen too many governments elected on the basis of promising a new tax or tax increases, have we?

It has little to do with the long term or economic justification for the tax (any tax). Let's face it: folks - anywhere in the world - do not like to pay tax. They will generally applaud a new government for eliminating or reducing a tax, regardless of long term consequences. 

Folks - anywhere in the world - feel they are taxed too much.  Any relief is welcome.

Whether a tax reduction or elimination is a good thing on the long term is something else and will always be subject to debate.

It is just same old, same old: politics as usual.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

"deeply unpopular carbon tax"

haha - since when were taxes popular?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply