Bid & won two items. The seller said shipping was around $50. He now wants over $600!

rd5370
Community Member

Bid & won two items. The seller said shipping was around $50. He now wants over $600! Two small, light items. Obviously I wont pay. He has now opened two unpaid cases against me. Now what????????  

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Bid & won two items. The seller said shipping was around $50. He now wants over $600!

The seller said shipping was around $50.

When?

Was this in the original listing?

Did the seller have a shipping cost for Canada?

If you have an email giving a quote (not a guess) for shipping, refer to that FIRM PRICE in the Dispute.

If you did not get a firm quote, eBay will stand behind the seller. He is not required to lose money on shipping because he made a guess in a conversation.

If the seller did not have shipping to Canada listed, he can also report you as an Unwanted Bidder, btw. It is very important to have an exact quote when dealing with someone who rarely deals with foreign customers.

What service does the seller plan to use?

I can send a letter across Canada for $0.85 by letterpost, or I can have it FedExed overnight to Iqaluit for $90.00.

Couriers are more expensive than postal shipment, generally, although tracking and insurance are better, which benefits the seller.

Is the GSP involved?

• The GSP benefits the seller by removing his need for international confirmation of delivery (he only needs to prove that the item was delivered to the GSP plant in Kentucky.)
  • removing the chance of negative feedback for doorstep import charges, which under the GSP are paid up front.

Depending on the place of manufacture (not purchase) of your item and its value, there may be Canadian duty included in a GSP import charge. There will be Canadian sales taxes if the item sold for over $20CDN ($16USD). And a $5 or so service fee.

All that being said, if you want the item and the seller is adamant about the shipping fee, you have to pay.

If you don't want it at that total price, don't pay and accept the Strike for non-payment.

Be aware that many if not most sellers have Blocks against bidders with Strikes, and bidding on eBay may become more difficult if you have Strikes.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply