Bought an item where the description was different on .ca listing

Recently I bought a pair of shoes from a US seller.

When I received them, they were missing soles.

Nowhere on the .ca page it mentions this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111026568932

However, after contacting the seller, I learned that it's clearly indicated on the .com page:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111026568932

Who's fault is it?
Can I get a refund? I would never have bought the shoes if I had known they were missing soles.

Should the buyer check all possible version of a listing to see if the description changes?
Should ebay have more streamlined listings?
Should the seller be more careful?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I think you should spare few minutes of your time and call eBay. I saw the seller’s note on the second reading through. Explain the inconsistency in both listings.

Keep in mind that you need to return the shoes with tracking and delivery confirmation in order to get your money back (which with Canada Lost may actually be more expensive than your whole purchase). IMO it would be cheaper to buy new insoles. Another option is to contact he seller, pointing out the difference and asking for a partial refund.  

The remaining three questions:

1)      So if seller lists on eBay.ca,  eBay.com, eBay.au and eBay.co.uk you will check all the listings? I do not know, seems a bit excessive.

2)      If a seller is listing outside the site he is registered he must have streamlined listings IMO. And I think this particular ball is in eBay's field.

3)      I think both sides should be careful.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Who's fault is it?

I noticed the other day on another listing that the seller's note was missing on the .ca version so it looks as if ebay did not set up that function on .ca

So imo, it is ebay's fault as they have made that area available for sellers to use & promoted that sellers use it but they didn't make sure that everyone could see it.

I would contact ebay about it. At the very least they should pay for your return shipping so that you are not out any money.Have you pointed out the difference in the listings on the 2 sites. They might be willing to work with you if they know about it.

No, you shouldn't have to look at different versions of a listing. Normally they are the same although it seems that in the past year ebay.com has added a couple of things that not all of the other sites have.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

This is eBay's fault as already indicated

Not the seller... Not the buyer.

Make sure eBay understands what the problem is... and continue talking to the first,  second or even third person at eBay..

Ask for "North American" Supervisor  if that will help

eBay owes you something more than just an apology.

They may even give you a refund without your having to ship the shoes back at eBay's expense.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

So the seller escalated this to ebay and ebay issued a full refund to both of us. No return required.

I'm surprised and relieved it ended this quickly and favorably for everyone.

🙂

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Recently I bought a pair of shoes from a US seller.

When I received them, they were missing soles.

Nowhere on the .ca page it mentions this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111026568932

However, after contacting the seller, I learned that it's clearly indicated on the .com page:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111026568932

Who's fault is it?
Can I get a refund? I would never have bought the shoes if I had known they were missing soles.

Should the buyer check all possible version of a listing to see if the description changes?
Should ebay have more streamlined listings?
Should the seller be more careful?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the report - we are aware of the issue and are looking at fixing it. Please feel free to contact Customer Support in these situations.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 6 of 6
latest reply