Buy-It Now must now be at least 30% greater than the auction start price.

drucecat
Community Member

I missed the announcement, but I am truly surprised. When did this take affect?

I haven't been listing much of late, as I'm waiting for a return of customers this fall (fingers crossed), but I do try to keep abreast of all of the changes in eBay policy.

Unfortunately, this will undoubtedly mean a decrease in my meager sales overall. I am not going to decrease my starting prices, so the Buy-It Now will be higher in general than they would have been. If, I'm not alone in taking this course of action, how does this help to drive customers to eBay?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

This has been in place for well over a year. Too many sellers doing auctions with a BIN at the first bid increment. I have seen car auction, on dot ca, with the BIN price PENNIES over the start price. As is usually the case, too many people trying to "game" the system.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for the reply Mr. E.

I"m surprised that I haven't had a listing rejected before today for the 30% reason. I attempted to relist some items, with a lower Buy-It Now price, in order to get a few more sales. My BIN price was still more than 20% higher than my auction price.

I don't often list expensive items, but in the past I had an auction for some computer speakers that I started at $399 and did a $499 BIN. They sold with a BIN. Today, I couldn't do this, although a $100 difference between the start price and the BIN seems fairly significant. I understand the reasoning behind the +10%, but +30% seems like a lot.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@drucecat wrote:

I understand the reasoning behind the +10%, but +30% seems like a lot. 

I agree.  20% would be more reasonable ..... and more workable.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply