Buyer Threatening to Leave Negative Unless I Offer Discount!

electronics220volt
Community Member
A couple days ago I sold an item to a buyer. This is what he messaged me a few hours after the purchase was made.

"Hi. I just purchased your item but I did not realize it was so expensive. I'm not sure if you know eBay's new feedback rules, but I CAN LEAVE YOU A NEGATIVE AND YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME ONE. So either give me a discount or..."

What on earth do I do in this situation!? Is there any way eBay can take action against this buyer without allowing him to leave a negative feedback?
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Tell them you are sorry but no discounts are available.

Did the message come directly to you or via the eBay message centre?

In any event it's clearly feedback extortion, if the buyer gives you a neg you should be able to have it removed. I say "should" because nothing is every 100% certain.

What has happened since you received the message?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Received a similar type of message today from a buyer in Quebec, though feedback was not mentioned:
"I have purchased the following from you on eBay. Please send me an invoice with the total amount that I owe you.
It said that their was a deal that if the item was less than 10$ that I will get free shipping and that's the reason I buy this so now I want my 1.50$ discount because of shipping"

I filed a complaint to cancel the transaction as we do not agree with the terms. And, this way it is on record at eBay.
No where in this item's description do we offer free shipping for the FIRST ITEM purchased.
And that is clear at the top of the auction, in the description, and at the bottom in the shipping area.
Additional items purchased are sent free, regardless of the number- but NOT the first item.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You will have no problem getting a neg removed. Just save the email, regardless if it came via eBay or your mail client. And, block the buyer.

Just had a buyer suspended from eBay last week even though he left positives instead of negatives. T & S can be quite supportive I have found out.

Xena
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Guys, post eBay ID's of those customers here (or the item #) and many sellers will gladly update the BLs.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

electronics

That is definately feed back extortion. Any such email should be forwarded to ebay as soon as it is received.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply