Buyer picked up new dvd player ( local pickup) wants to return it over playback issue, wants Paypal refund first, is this exact way to go?

The buyer said the product won't play a certain type of file that I  ( after performing  tests on another player of the same brand )  stated WOULD play in the item description.

So he wants to meet locally to give it back, but first wants the price he paid refunded though Paypal ( which was used for the original payment ) or he said I could pay him in cash ( this is the first request for refund as a buyer I have received ). 

Now is this the correct procedure or should I be first sending him the " request to cancel transaction"  form ( I think its called ) to get the FVF  back from ebay  and Paypal ?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Buyer picked up new dvd player ( local pickup) wants to return it over playback issue, wants Paypal refund first, is this exact way to go?

Hi knick-knack.. Never refund without the returned item in hand and do not accept PayPal for a pickup. Cash only.  Had your buyer been a crook , could have returned home , opened an item not received claim and PP would refund the payment.

Just meet and exchange.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Buyers can reject a request to cancel transaction so make lost fees part exchange  conversation. Ending on good terms , shouldn't be a problem.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Sorry.. should read part of...

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If you have a mobile device, you can do the PP refund right there when you receive the item back.

Refunds should be like for like.

Paypal for Paypal, cash for cash.

If you were to go with his suggestion, he could also ask PP for a refund. on the basis of non-delivery, even if you have refunded in (untraceable) cash. Convoluted but some people make a corkscrew look like a Roman road.

Don't fuss about fees. Write them off to the learning curve.

And don't ever accept PP on pickup again.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply