Buying dinner knives is an issue?

I attempted to buy one spoon and 3 dinner knives from a US flatware seller. When I checked out, the spoon purchase was processed but the knives didn't go through. I got messages like We are unable to  process your request and We cannot load your cart right now.

So I then went to buy them directly from the listing only to get this message when I clicked on Buy It Now: We are sorry but the item you selected may not be purchased due to Seller shipping restrictions, country specific import/export or other relevant restrictions.

I'm confused. Surely dinner knives aren't restricted? And I once purchased a Samurai sword from the US via eBay with no issues!

I have contacted the seller to see if they have a problem shipping knives and am still waiting on an answer. Anyone else encountered this?

Karen

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

While I would be the first to admit I am not a tableware import expert, I got a hard time bringing a knife block into Canada that I had purchased at department store in the USA. It contained knives, obviously, but they were clearly for the kitchen as opposed to anything that would otherwise be considered a weapon.

Were these knives made of metal or did they have a wooden handle? Antique? Made with elephant tusks?

I jest about the last criteria but it's possible that due to an abundance of caution, this seller simply won't ship sharp and pointy things internationally. Or that their carrier of choice prohibits them. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I did get a definitive answer to this from the seller. She uses eBay's evil Global Shipping Program for international shipments and they refuse to ship knives. Any knife. Of any description. Period.

The knives I was attempting to purchase were just simply stainless steel dinner knives from a place setting.

It would be nice if potential buyers were simply made aware of this policy when the checkout process doesn't go through. Is that too much to ask, eBay?
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I suspected as much. Knives sound like exactly the kind of thing people opening boxes at the GSP hub in Kentucky would want to avoid. I would expect, however, that those listings would not be shown outside the USA since the seller cannot ship them outside the USA due to the GSP.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply