CANADA POST INSURANCE REFUND POLICY ?!?!

Hello everyone,
One of my customer received his package in the mail in very damaged condition. I had sold the item over 100.00$ US
I made a claim with Canada Post and here's there reply: "Our policy is to pay the lesser of the actual value (sender's initial cost for the item) and the insured value. For items sold on internet, the sale price does not constitute adequate proof of value since it does not indicate the sender's initial cost for the item".
I had to refund the customer the full amount that he paid (around 130.00$) but all I could get from Canada post is the value that I paid. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Did this ever happened to one of you? If so, is there anything that I can do about this??

Thanks.
Laurent
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: CANADA POST INSURANCE REFUND POLICY ?!?!

tobyshitzu
Community Member
thats the way it is, clearly stated in the terms and conditions of the postal guide.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Insure with someone else.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

antoine-watteau
Community Member
Ship with someone else. I had a similar problem, I shipped a small item with an Expresspost envelope. Envelope got lost, they said it is not insured because I am not allowed to ship items in there. I told them there are documents in there too and I want my 100.- $ insurance. They told me documents are not insured anyway.
Isn't that something: Expresspost is insured up to 100.- $ period. But documents are not insured and documents are the only thing you are allowed to send in there. Is this still lawful ? Someone from the government should take care of this matter asap.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member
Xpresspost USA prepaid envelope says very clearly right on it "documents only", you can't miss it.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

As far as I understood, most items sent by both expedited and express mail (to the U.S.) can be insured up to $1,000. There are restrictions on some items--such as jewelry, which can only be insured for $500.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

You are stuck witht the decision.

However, if I may second-guess you, since you are able to quote the response, I suspect you used email to start your claim.

In my opinion, you would have done better to phone and start your claim with the human beings on the phone lines. They seem to have a better understanding of the problems of small businesses and are able to make command decisions that flex the rules (but not break them.)

I do think the policy is strange, since the value of an item is what someone is willing to pay for it, not what it sold for at some time in the past or might at some time in the future.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Femme, had only made two postal claims but both last year.

First one they sent a check immediately second one thay had me send the eBay invoice, which i understand with a second claim in one year, with the final selling price.

CP paid out the amount the item sold for plus postage rather quickly, two week turn around time. Maybe i just got lucky.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member

Femme, had only made two postal claims but both last year.

First one they sent a check immediately second one thay had me send the eBay invoice, which i understand with a second claim in one year, with the final selling price.

CP paid out the amount the item sold for plus postage rather quickly, two week turn around time. Maybe i just got lucky.

That's exactly my experience too! First claim of the year no problem, on the 2nd one they wanted a copy of the ebay Sale and also refunded full sale price plus postage.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Come to think of it the last time I made a claim, the lady said something to the effect of "Well, this is only your third claim in five years." and cut the cheque immediately. I had it within a week.

Makes you wonder what kind of records they keep, doesn't it?

Vic Toews probably knows. Or wants to.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply