..CP'S RATES GETTING FRUSTRATING..

katiusciav
Community Member
I'm starting to get real frustrated with canada post's rates..its unbelievable some of their prices...it used to be that i could get maybe 3-4 shipping questions on my items and at least one of those inquiries would result in a bid..after the increase (which i know isn't THAT much..but still)...i'm getting about 5 shipping questions on some items with no turnaround bids..and i KNOW its the shipping rates, as alot of the items not being bid on are kind of big with rates as high as 25-30.00...and of course..no handling fee...if i add a handling fee to that...i can pretty much kiss any bids away for sure...

sometimes when i'm getting a rate off canada post's website..i have to go back and re check the dimensions and weight to make sure i've entered everything correctly when i look at the rates i'm getting!! they're sooooo expensive..!!!!!!!!X-(
i don't blame these buyers..why would they buy something from me in canada (90% of the interest comes from the states), when they can buy it from the us at literally half the shipping price and probably twice as quick..? sure they may not find exactly the same item in the states, but alot of the shipping fees that go with my items are the same price as the item themselves.
which means i have to start limiting the things i buy to smaller and lighter objects which really bites, as i've traditionally always made good money in prints etc...which cost the big bucks to send..X-(

with more sellers jumping on board to ebay..and competition higher..and increasing fees both on ebay's side and cp's end...its pretty darn hard to make a good buck...and i don't think i'm being negetive when i say i don't see the fee increases stopping anytime soon..:-(

i don't want to limit my buyers to just canada to offer lower shipping rates-that's kind of dumb as most of my cx's are in the states..grrrrrrrrrr

i always sell different size items so it wouldn't be worth going with another shipping company as they're usually more expensive overall...
this really bites..:_|
Kat
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I'm feeling the bite already. It hasn't gone up that much but it's just enough to hurt my sales. I'm getting plenty of shipping questions but unfortunately no bids. I don't charge a handling fee either. I'm going to have to be more particular on what I list..no heavy items which doesn't help my inventory.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

quikdropbcpco
Community Member
What blows me away is the fact that it's cheaper to send a light packet to the States than it is within our own country! ..... What's wrong with this picture???X-(
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

What's wrong with this picture???X-(

This is NOT true for Light Packet, it is true for Small Packet but only for packages under 500 grams or (1kg if you are sending from coast to coast in Canada).
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

quikdropbcpco
Community Member
Pardon me, Small Packet is indeed what I meant...thanks for the correction!
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

kriky
Community Member
i don't blame these buyers..why would they buy something from me in canada (90% of the interest comes from the states), when they can buy it from the us at literally half the shipping price and probably twice as quick..?
Boy do I agree!! Also factor in customs and the headache's of the long waits and unless you have something unique it's hard to compete.
:-(
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member
When the shipping is more than the item,people just don't want it:( ***************************************************

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

angie135cat
Community Member
Your Jam looks some good nan !

Gotta try it soon

As for shipping costs, I have limited myself to jewelry because I wasn't making money on anything that I couldn't send through small packets. I still have to charge 6.99 and it usually costs about that + a little handling fee. And sometimes it costs me much more, like 10.00 to ship a ring to Alberta, that is outrageous.

Canada Post is not helping the economy very much and I think that they are not helping themselves neither because we just end up avoiding those expensive services.

Angie
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

angie135cat
Community Member
Nan, why don't you offer your jam in smaller lots? Not worth it?

Back to the subject, I wonder if there are any sites that group Canadian sellers to encourage purchases from us. I always try to buy from Canada when I have the choice. There are sites like buysafe that give out points to customers for their purchases and ensure a safe transaction. I can't find many in Canada.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply