Can I Report a Seller & If so, How?

I saw an item I wanted to buy, but the reviews of the seller warned me off. Many buyers claimed they received defective or fake items which were not the same as those depicted. I messaged the seller and asked her if the skirt were indeed an authentic _______ product and the same as the one in the picture. Her answer was that she had many happy customers and that I would love the skirt. In fact, it was one of her favourites. I didn't buy it because she hadn't answered my question and I doubted that she was selling the genuine article. Why is this fraudulent behaviour sanctioned at eBay? Do I have the right to report her even though I didn't purchase anything from her? I found her reply to me so deceitful and slippery.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

"Do I have the right to report her even though I didn't purchase anything from her?"

There is nothing to report.  You did the right thing: investigated prior to purchasing and decided purchasing from that seller was too risky for you.

Time to move on to a different product and a better seller.

"Why is this fraudulent behaviour sanctioned at eBay?"

The feedback rating (and comments) from other eBay buyers is a great tool to minimize the risks of problems.  That said, keep in mind that more than 90% of that seller's buyers were satisfied with their purchases - based on the feedback they left. 

So "fraudulent" may be a bit too strong a word.

Good Luck finding what you need.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hello PL,

Your response is level-headed and appreciated. Thank you. However, I have to say that I'm perplexed at how you know which seller I'm referring to. Can you read my private messages? Woman Surprised I don't care about the skirt; it's just a skirt, but it bothers me that buyers have been duped by this seller repeatedly. I've never seen negative feedback like hers for an American seller. And the shifty way she eluded answering my direct (but polite) question! I believe eBay would be a better place without sellers like her.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

EBay rarely makes decisions on the authenticity of items sold here. They have neither the expertise nor the legal right to do so.

They do shut down sellers with 'too many' Disputes and Claims.

• The negative FB is from buyers who did not make Claims, since they would not be allowed to leave FB after the Dispute process is completed. No double jeopardy.

They do have a VERO program which enrolls manufacturers and brand/copyright owners to police their own.

If you think the seller is offering counterfeit merchandise, report them to the manufacturer. They have both expertise and the law on their side.

If you had bought an item that turned out to be questionable, you can return it for a full refund, even if the seller claims "NO REFUNDS". This policy is unenforceable, since Paypal will force the refund once the unhappy buyer proves the item has been delivered back to the seller.

Is 'many buyers' half of those leaving feedback? Two out of a thousand? Is there consistency in their complaints? Do any of them seem to be impossible to please?

And when reading feedback, both negative and positive, look out for comments like "willing to work" "problem solved" and similar FB which indicate that the seller may have been blackmailed into a partial refund on a perfectly fine item.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

"I'm perplexed at how you know which seller I'm referring to."

I do not know.  However, most sellers - even the bad ones - show feedback ratings in excess of 95% because most buyers are relatively satisfied.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply