Can I get more insurance for Tracked Packet?

xprog1
Community Member

I generally sell iPhones and I need insurance for at least $300-500. Is it possible to add more coverage to the tracked packet?

I need this only for international shipments.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

I believe the maximum insurance is $100. If you want to insure it for more, you would have to use a 3rd party insurance company.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Expedited Parcel USA  or Xpresspost would be a best Canada Post options for something with a value of up to $300 and then  to $500.

Extra insurance is charged on the basis of each additional increment above $100  The first $100 is a part of the initial cost of postage using these two options to the US...

For anything with a value over $325 Canadian   Paypal requires a signature confirmation... and that means using Xpresspost...

Using the following link to determine the cost of Xpresspost...

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Cumos, you can buy signature confirmation with expedited parcel also. It is about a buck & a half extra.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Cumos, you can buy signature confirmation with expedited parcel also. It is about a buck & a half extra.

A signature isn't available with Expedited USA. 

I think that a signature is only available with xpresspost to certain countries and even then, there is no guarantee that the postman there will get or be able to get a signature that will show online.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

I thought Expedited is considered a "tracked Package?"

At least it's good enough for paypal returns.......... no?

I just shipped one yesterday and bought insurance for $400.

What am I  missing in this thread?

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

I'm going to answer my own ?.

I read the original ? as asking if there's insurance for a tracked package, and I think the responses were about paypal seller guarantees.

(Has anyone ever used the paypal seller guarantee or whatever it's called?)

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Yep - I have used it.

I had a guy return an item worth $100.00 When he returned it he valued it at $350.00 and I had to pay about $34.00 to get it out of the Post Office. When I complained to PayPal about it. They refunded me the $34.00 by removing it from the sellers acount.

I was pretty happy with PayPal that day.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 8 of 46
latest reply

ross.......... $34 taxes/handling on a $350 valuation is low.  That's odd.....

But I meant has anyone every used it when shipping items out instead of insurance?

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

" That's odd....."

It is quite not odd considering Ross lives in Alberta!

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

ross.......... $34 taxes/handling on a $350 valuation is low.  That's odd.....

But I meant has anyone every used it when shipping items out instead of insurance?

The PayPal Seller Protection program is not a replacement for insurance. Insurance is for loss or damage. PayPal Seller Protection is for protection against false Item Not Received claims by buyers.

If you ship with a delivery confirmation service for items under $250 (or $325 per Cumos55 for PayPal.ca terms) and the item shows delivered to the address by Canada Post, then PayPal will decide in your favor in a dispute if the buyer claims the item was not received.

For PayPal seller Protection for items over ($250 or $325), you need to use a signature confirmation service and have online proof of a signature that the item was delivered.

Now since the items shows delivered, then no claim can be made on insurance from Canada Post.  How third party insurers will handle this, I do not know. Most likely they will not allow a claim if it shows delivered by the post office.

A potential buyer scam is to buy a high valued item that requires signature confirmation for PayPal protection.  The buyer knows this and sees that signature confirmation was not used when they receive the item. So the buyer files a claim for item not received and wins the PayPal case because there was just delivery confirmation and not signature confirmation.  Insurance will not pay out since the item shows delivered in the postal system.

Now it is possible that the buyer shows delivered by the post office but the buyer never received the item. Rare but can happen. Items can be delivered next door or a few streets over in the same USA zip code and it will show delivered. Packages can be stolen off the doorstep. So sometimes a buyer did not actually receive the item but loses the PayPal case. The system is not prefect unfortunately. Signature confirmation minimizes this issue since the item ends up inside the premises. (Search for YouTube videos of packages being stolen from the front door where owners have security cameras installed and have recorded the theft. Neighbors, people passing by, even another delivery service delivering another package and steals the other delivery service package!)

As for the OP, using Tracked Packet with $100 insurance and Delivery Confirmation for $400 items is not good for PayPal Seller Protection.  A buyer can claim Item Not Received since signature is needed for PayPal Seller Protection. The OP should be using Xpresspost USA and International. Expedited PArcel USA is not an option since it only has DC and not SC. Within Canada, the OP can use Expedited Parcel with SC for a small fee.

Since iphones are a huge target for scammers, the OP should be very careful where he sells.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

The PayPal Seller Protection program is not a replacement for insurance. Insurance is for loss or damage. PayPal Seller Protection is for protection against false Item Not Received claims by buyers.

Well, there's a lot of overlap.

The only reason I brought it up at all was because the responses above seemed to be about Seller protection while the poster asked about insurance.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

Sometimes one has to learn things the hard way.

Purchase was a $195 book... a relatively rare and special book... shipped to Calgary...

Insured but with no signature confirmation.

Parcel was delivered to a community mailbox....  put in a small compartment...  Buyer should have found a key to the compartment in his lettermail box...

Buyer never got the parcel.

Impatient buyer filed with Paypal... Paypal saw that tracking showed delivery...  and buyer did not receive his money back... Canada Post eventually paid the insurance claim. 

Buyer failed to understand that it was my responsibility to deal with Canada Post....  and seemed to go contrary to a lot of what I was doing...

---------------------------------

Now if it is valued  at over $100  it will be signature confirmation to any  buyer in Canada....did that with a recent $300 sale... borderline to Paypal's level....

That community mailbox was not a good experience....

It should be noted that the $325 is in Canadian dollars, and includes the cost of shipping.....

I did check recently ... and the Paypal dollar value for signature confirmation varies by country.

For US sellers it is $250 US...  the difference  most likely a remnant of the time that the Canadian dollar was valued  at about $1.30 CDN = $1.00 US

From Paypal

For payments over $325 CAD (or local currency equivalent, including shipping and tax), be sure that you have signature confirmation of delivery in addition to proof of shipment.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Tracking, insurance, and signature confirmation   all come together...  for something valued over $325 CDN, including shipping.

Paypal's Seller Protection rules...are followed

Tracked packet to the USA or Internationally has its place ... but not if the insured value is very much higher than $100.

FIRST it is Tracked Packet USA up to an  insured value of $100

THEN it is Expedited Parcel USA    for a total value including shipping less than $325

and FINALLY ...

it is Xpresspost USA with signature confirmation  for a value for over $325  CDN 

but not without another step for very fast delivery.

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

If the book had been valued at $500 and insured for $500 with no signature confirmation you would have claimed with insurance and not via seller protection.

AND

If you would have shipped a $500 book with insurance plus signature confirmation you'd probably still file an insurance claim.

AND

If you did that and asked for paypal protection they would probably suggest that you file an insurance claim and not bother them with it.

So, cumos................. What point are you trying to make????

Message 15 of 46
latest reply

I wonder what would happen if you shipped without insurance but with signature confirmation?

Then seller protection should kick in, but who does that?

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

With that $195 book.

BUYER filed with Paypal.

Please read

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

I read it the first time.

....... but I wasn't sure if the following was a typo or a mistake or what.

That's why I decided to let it go because it sounds like you made a "Fraudulent Insurance Claim."  

However, since you asked:

You stated:

""" Impatient buyer filed with Paypal... Paypal saw that tracking showed delivery...  and buyer did not receive his money back... Canada Post eventually paid the insurance claim. """""

Are you saying that you were paid by the buyer and also filed an insurance claim?

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

Impatient buyer filed with Paypal... Paypal saw that tracking showed delivery...  and buyer did not receive his money back... Canada Post eventually paid the insurance claim. 

cumos????

It sounds like paypal did not refund the buyer because you had signature confirmation but you also collected insurance from the Post office for an item worth almost $200????

What's wrong with this picture???

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

(1) Buyer let me know that purchase was not received.

(2) Filed claim with Canada Post.... Tracking showed parcel was delivered....  at a Community mailbox

(3)  Almost immediately buyer files with Paypal.... expecting to get his money back

(4) Tracking was presented to Paypal....   Paypal did not refund the buyer....

(5) Canada Post insurance claim was being investigated..by Canada Post...

(6)  After communicating with the buyer, Canada Post acknowledged  the parcel was not received by the buyer.... 

(7) Insurance money was received from Canada Post, cheque was cashed.

(8) Buyer received full refund from Paypal...

I did not have signature confirmation  because the  total  payment  was less than $325 CDN

IF I did have signature confirmation  Buyer would have had to sign for the Parcel at a post outlet.....  and  buyer would have picked up the parcel directly from the post office....

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the process... Everything occured as it should...

In the end

(1) Buyer did not receive his purchase..

(2) Seller received insurance claim from Canada Post.

(3) Full Paypal payment was refunded to buyer...

Additional

Buyer filed with Paypal... Tracking shows the parcel was delivered....In such as situation  Paypal had no right to make a refund.  This ended as it should if tracking shows the parcel was delivered.

Since parcel was not received by the buyer  this was only an insurance claim.

If Canada Post was able to confirm that the buyer received his purchase  buyer would not have received a refund....

Buyer receives a refund only if Canada Post confirms buyer did not receive the parcel,  and only after the insurance claim was paid....

Everything occurred in relation to Paypal rules,   as well as Canada Post procedure

Message 20 of 46
latest reply