Can I get third party insurance for letter mail?

Just realized that I started this thread with the wrong question, so I will try again.......

I have a number of items that I would like to list that could all be shipped First Class Mail to Canada, USA and International. The values rage from $100 to $400 and I would like to have insurance.

Is there a shipping insurance company that I could use when shipping first class mail (just buying the stamps at the post office)

I have the prices from Canada post for various tracked packages with insurance, but they are very expensive.

I have looked at a couple of shipping insurance company's web sites and am bit confused about if I can use them with First Class Mail. Some seem to be looking for a tracking number or a receipt from the post office.

Does anyone have any experience wit this?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Can I get third party insurance for letter mail?

Good Morning Julieo.

You're located in Canada so that means you'd be using Small or Light Packet and not First Class Mail.  I'm pretty sure that was a typo.

I use Insurepost/Shipsurance (same company) and they do insure Light and Small Packet but not Letter Mail.

I use online shipping and when insuring shipments with no tracking I get a stamp at the PO when I ship to show the item was actually mailed.

I buy my labels on line so I use the transaction number for the label purchase  in place of the tracking number on the form.

I also use the transaction number for the item itself for the transaction id they ask for.

I'm not sure what you'd plug in there when you buy postage at the PO but there must be a number on your receipt which would serve the purpose.

Perhaps for these items you'd consider buying your label on line?

You do have to get those items stamped as shipped at the PO so don't forget to do that.

I've filed several claims shipped that way and they've reimbursed me every one.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply