Can shipping charged increase after bidding on an item?

This is the first time I've encountered an issue while purchasing on Ebay and I don't know exacly how to deal with it.

I bid on an item that had under 12$ shipping on the moment I placed my bid (just under an hour before it ended) but now I'm being charged over 15$.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Was the $12 shipping charge listed on the S&H tab as being to Canada?

Is the extra $3 sales tax? Not all sellers are registered to collect and remit taxes, and not all of those add the tax to the price. But many are and many do.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Yes, it was to Canada and no, it's not being charged as taxes. The shipping charges have increased.

The first image is of a prior listing of the same item which was identical to the one I bid on. I checked the listing thoroughly before I bid on it. The second one is the one I won.

bid on.jpgfinal.jpg

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Look very carefully.

The problem here is how shipping charge and "import charges" are calculated for items valued at under Cdn$ 20 and above Cdn$ 20.

In the first instance, you see a lower shipping charge but you also see a "import charges" (based on US$19.99 which is more than Cdn$ 20)

In the second example, they (shipping and import charges) are incorporated together.

You do not pay more, it is just that the charges are shown differently.

"import charges" do not mean duty and/or taxes.  In this instances, it is the fee (about $4) charged by Pitney Bowes to handle the transaction.

Most Canadian buyers avoid purchasing from American sellers using Global Shipping Program for items valued at less than $100.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I have won plenty of items from the U.S. and I can confirm that the "import charges" do not affect items that cost less than 20$ CAD, nor does winning an auction at under 20$ CAD when the "buy it now" price is over affect the shipping costs displayed.

The reason I am bringing up this issue is because it is highly irregular.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

As stated above, the "import charges" (about $4) handling fee charged by Pitney Boews for items sold under Cdn$ 20 are incorporated in the shipping charge.

It is only when the selling price is above $20 that the "import charges" are shown separately.  In such instances, "import charges" include the same Pitney Bowes handling fee (about $4) plus taxes (GST/HST/PST plus duty (if applicable).

The only time you ever come across a situation as shown above is when the selling price is below Cdn$ 20 (no "import charges" shown) while the Buy-it-Now price is above Cdn$ 20 where the "import charges" are shown.

The fact the "import charges" are shown or not (incorporated in the shipping charge) does not change the fact buyers pay for the Pitney Bowes fee one way or another.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Like I said, this is the first time it has happened to me and I have bought plenty of items that were in a similar situation, this is the only time the shipping charges had increased in any way at the final transaction. Is there any way to access the documentation where it says that the actual listed shipping charges can change because of this program? I am highly skeptical about that.

Also, I have received a message from the seller asking me to call him in order for him to help me avoid the extra charge which makes the whole thing even more suspicious.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

"Is there any way to access the documentation where it says that the actual listed shipping charges can change because of this program?"

Frankly I am not sure what you are looking for.

The GSP is NOT Canadian friendly and should NOT be used by Canadian buyers with a few exceptions (expensive items or very heavy merchandise). eBay has told American sellers not to use it for items valued at less than $50 (on average) buy many still do since it is easy for them to do, they get better protection, and buyers pay the extra costs.

You can use your own set of eyes, checking listings valued at or around $20 to understand how the "import charges" work.

In the early days, about two years ago, the "import charges" fee was added separately and combined with tax and duty when applicable.  However many Canadians complained that there should be no "import charges" for shipment under $20 since the Post Office did not charge a fee for shipments valued at less than $20. 

So Pitney Bowes simply made the "shipping charges" go away for listings valued at less than Cdn$20 and added their fee to the shipping charge.

It did stop some of the complaining!

"seller asking me to call him in order for him to help me avoid the extra charge "

That could be a good thing.  Many sellers will agree to ship directly using USPS instead of going through GSP.  Yes, you would save money that way.

" I am highly skeptical about that.".... "even more suspicious.?

What can I tell you?  To be skeptical is not a bad thing.  Do not let it become paranoia.

As suggested earlier, walk away for listings offering GSP.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

"Like I said, this is the first time it has happened to me and I have bought plenty of items that were in a similar situation"

When you say similar situation do you mean seller using GSP and the item less than $20 CDN?

You can try contacting the seller through ebay, and maybe get the item shipped via another method, if it works out better.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply