Can't buy item!!

Hey, for about a week now I have been trying to check out and pay for an item (guitar) through GSP, but it doesn't matter if I pay with Paypal or my debit card, I get the same error message "Unfortunately, we can't process this payment.". I have bought various items from both eBay and Reverb in the past months with no issue. Does anyone have a solution to this or am I forced to cancel the order? Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Can't buy item!!

@clarjos_vihzt8d8i wrote:

Hey, for about a week now I have been trying to check out and pay for an item (guitar) through GSP, but it doesn't matter if I pay with Paypal or my debit card, I get the same error message "Unfortunately, we can't process this payment.". I have bought various items from both eBay and Reverb in the past months with no issue. Does anyone have a solution to this or am I forced to cancel the order? Thanks

Is it an electric guitar or an acoustic?   Someone said a while back that acoustic guitars were not being shipped due to the wood in them, but there is nothing about this in the eBay GSP pages about prohibited items that I can see (which doesn't mean its not there). 

What about size?  The total dimensions have to fit in under a certain amount.  Look through this and see if any of these issues might explain your situation:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html#oversized

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hi, does this item actually appear in your purchase history? I found an ebay policy for new bidders:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/limits-on-buyers.html

which appears to indicate that ebay can restrict the purchase of high value items for "new" bidders ~ perhaps this applies in your case? 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

ebay can restrict the purchase of high value items for "new" bidders ~ perhaps this applies in your case? 

That's a good point, and I think you might have found the problem.  The OPs original message from https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Ebay-import-charges-US-to-Canada/m-p/356075#M31491

says the buyer is trying to buy an item for $1348 total, and if that is USD then a lot  more in CDN.  With the exchange rate, over $1800.  Which isn't really all that big, not nowadays, not for an instrument, but may seem high by eBay standards. 

@ clarjos_vihzt8d8i,  Is that guitar already in your Purchase History?  If you have a credit card, you can add that to your PayPal account and that might clear up the problem.  Or else transfer the full amount into your PayPal account and see if that helps. 

If it is in your Purchase History but you have this restriction then I can't for the life of me imagine how eBay allowed it to get there in the first place.  Too many glitch issues that are making life hard for its users these days.  This is one of many.

But call eBay from the Help & Contact link (bottom of the page) and tell them what gives.  Tell them you have been allowed to "buy" this thing but the system won't let you pay.  (Stupid or what!)

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Since the seller is in the USA, he is paying a premium to Paypal to process 'foreign' payments.

And many sellers freak out about this -- which is usually pennies, but the freak out is not logical-- and Block all foreign payments.

Which is totally illogical if the seller is also using the Global Shipping Program. But freak outs are not logical.

And of course the additional fee to PP on $1350 is not going to be pennies.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Yup, item is in purchase history, ebay have emailed me to pay for the item, and I get to the checkout page. I have only bought a few (2-3) items that are valued at about $100-$200USD, so this purchase of $1350 is a lot more. I have a Paypal account that has both my bank and debit card linked (but has no money in it). I'm going to try to transfer $1350 from my bank into my Paypal and see if that works, also going to call eBay tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi Femme ~ sorry but could you explain how a Seller is able to block foreign payments? From what I can see in "my ebay" I can accept PayPal in my listings or not and I can ship to certain countries or exclude them but I can't find anything where I can choose to ship to a certain country but not accept a PayPal payment from that country ... is this something that is specified in ebay or in paypal? 

So should the OP be trying to contact the Seller then to make alternate payment arrangements (such as a money order / certified cheque) ?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have asked the seller to confirm that he hasn't blocked payments from foreign accounts. I'll let you know what he replies.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

OK I also found this on the PayPal site: it may not just apply to credit cards, maybe there is a sending/purchasing limit for any type of payment .... 

Why can't I send money with my credit card?

There are a few reasons why you might not be able to send money with your credit card.

For regulatory reasons, there may be a limit on the amount of money you can send or receive. You can check your sending limit by logging into your personal PayPal account and clicking on See how much you can send with PayPal. For business accounts, you can “View Limits” within the Overview section of your account.

If you’re not able to send money with your credit card, you may be able to complete the transaction by paying with your bank account.

Linking your bank account to your PayPal account is secure and easy. If you do online banking, you can usually link your bank account in a few minutes.

Once you’ve linked your bank to your PayPal account, you're protected when you pay for things. Merchants get paid but they never see your bank information. They won’t even know which bank you use.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply