Canada Customs: How to Import returned goods without paying duty and tax?

I sold an item to a USA buyer for $80.00 plus $20.00 for shipping. The item didn't suit so I accepted buyer's wish to return the item for a refund. He paid with PayPal if that makes any difference.

What paper work do I (seller) or the buyer have to include with the package so that I receive it back without paying brokerage fee and taxes on it?

I sent the buyer a plastic pouch (labelope) for him to insert my original invoice and whatever else we need in there. Hopefully this isn't going to be a difficult point in the transaction. Surely it must be done many times every day.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Maybe ask the buyer to mark on the Customs declaration description of contents area that the item is "being returned to sender"  if you're using USPS.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If its non dispute return, i quickly notify them i will be sending an rma number shortly (so they dont get impatient and open dispute) , then i send them a returns email with all required info for the return, an rma# to put on the parcel for identification and all your 'rules' like 'no couriers, no cod, mark as return, contents, value is sticky one, zero as it is not being sold back to you, but in case of insurance im not sure...maybe another seller have advice on that part......please use USPS, canadapost, Royal Mail ect ect....'  educate the buyer, hope for best.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Can you please indicate what "RMA#" is?  The abbreviation isn't immediately obvious to me.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

RMA# - Return Merchandise Authorization number...or something similar

I've seen larger businesses that require one but I don't think it is necessary for a small business to have one.

I just tell buyers to state merchandise return on the customs form with the original amount. I've never had a problem when they've done that.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

rma is universally recognized by buyers as returns#, easy Identification on package, give it a simple number... R13667, easy for customer, easy for seller....easy to keep track of returns, but yeah if selling 3 items a year would seem silly to use that system.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks everyone. I gave the buyer a RMA # like was suggested. We'll see how it goes.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply