Canada Post 2015 Rates coming soon

Around this time of year, the new rates for Canada Post Parcel services are announced. I did a Google search and some announcements exist as of Dec 12, 2014. The actual new parcel rates will most likely show up this weekend or Monday. The announcement below has the overall percentage increase of parcel services.

Parcel Services Price and Service Changes effective January 12, 2015

Average price increase Domestic Prices for Domestic Parcel Services will increase by an overall average of 4.2 % for most customers.

USA/International Prices for USA/International Parcel Services will increase by an overall average of 1.8% for most customers.

One interesting announcement is the change to volumetric calculation for Express services. Instead of calculating with 6000 cu cm, they are using 5000 cu cm which is an indirect way of making a rate increase.

Here is a link to the announcement page at Canada Post.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/rates.jsf

On the above page to the right are new 2015 Lettermail and Letter-post rate sheets.

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: Canada Post 2015 Rates coming soon

Hey thanks for the info....I was searchnig for it on their site and they haven't updated the light packet usa & international, yet....funny how they can plan & raise the price ahead of time, but can't manage to update the site on time.......bunch of old farts working there, sounds like it each time I call them, horrible cusomter service & terribly managed; they need some better minds there.

Anyhow, I notice you posted the new info and wanna say thanks.......its actually a good thing for sellers (and buyers) who sell items based on weight for example spices or herbs....the prices increased but this allows bigger quantities to be sent using the price rate, which is still relatively close....CP really needs to make some new changes for us, for the smaller items & low value items, they should make it the same as Canadian weight breaks, that way its easier to calculate the cost and if they offered insurance, even just $0.50 for items under $10 or $1.00 for items under $20 for the small low value items that we would send via light packet; they'd make more revenue and we'd have more assurance. In the USA, the prices, service, speed are totally uncomparable, they get lightning speed service, at a low cost and tracking included, its hard to compete with that.

Message 61 of 75
latest reply

You're welcome. Glad that it's helpful for somebody (and I'm surprised that you remembered the one I made last year) Smiley Very Happy

Please just note that the small packet rate on the table this year is not the min/max rate; I used UK and Australia because that's the two places I mailed quite often to, so you should always look up small packet air rate for the country you're mailing to just to see what the actual rate is Smiley Happy

---

On a completely unrelated note: I finally got a full time job! Smiley LOL No more working multiple jobs to make ends meet. 

Message 62 of 75
latest reply

Congratulations on the new full time job!

Message 63 of 75
latest reply

I know that not everyone can walk their packages across the border and use USPS, but I can, and here is why, as shown in an e-mail sent to Lisa Raitt in Ottawa:

Dear Lisa,

Canada Post is 2015 has snuck in rate increases far and above the 1.8% they claim in the following release:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/parcel-ra-ooc_en.pdf

They have determined to calculate the dimensional weight of packages sent to the USA by a new method.

A box measuring 48 X 18 X 6 inches would previously have been charged as 32.2 lbs volume weight (48x18x6/166)

In the new and improved way of calculating dimensional weight, the same ackage will get charged as 37.3 lbs (48x18x6/139)

That’s a 15.8% increase in the chargeable weight, and probably with the general 2015 rate increase factored in, the overall net rate increase would be somewhere in the 10% range.

Quite frankly – I am close enough to the US border, I am simply going to walk my packages to Sumas and not use Canada Post anymore. I am spending up to $5000 annually shipping with Canada Post, and 90% of the business is to the USA.

I simply cannot and will not support a floundering Canadian entity that is price gouging and digging so heavily into my pocket book.

Canada Post rates are hurting small businesses in Canada, and stifling economic growth.

Sincerely,

Message 64 of 75
latest reply

And never mind the fact that Expedited Parcel to the USA - you are unable to get signature confirmation for it.

Imagine sending a $2000 guitar and 'hoping' things go right after paying more than 2X the cost to mail it.

Message 65 of 75
latest reply

Shipping with signature to the USA

Use Xpresspost  USA

Message 66 of 75
latest reply

For a $2000 guitar,

Would this be a good time to use a courier rather than the postal system?

The buyer is going to have to pay duty in any case, since the US limit is $200.

The courier's brokerage is usually higher than the postal system, but we're into high value territory here.

As I understand it, couriers track parcels very carefully and also insure.

Sometimes we get inside boxes.

Message 68 of 75
latest reply

All I see is greed. Canada Post charges more for local shipping than US & international shipping. Rates are always increasing, too. I like to sell video games, and when I charge $15 with free shipping, I make like $6. That is not including eBay's slice and PayPal's slice.

Message 69 of 75
latest reply

I am trying to get a rate to ship an item to Greece 24"x 11" x 11" with Canada Post.

The amazing thing is it costs the Greeks $3.00eu to ship the same item to Canada, to ship out with the same shipping time, it cost us

Canadians..........................a whopping $220.24 , what the heck has happened to Canada?

How can a bankrupt tiny island in the middle of nowhere in the Med have waaaaaaaayyy cheaper shipping rates that Canada?

The shipping costs in Canada are way beyond criminal!!!

++++ And that is before the price hikes of 2015 +++ is this a joke???

Message 70 of 75
latest reply

That 24 x 11 x 11 parcel is treated as if it weighs close to 8 kg.

It is a volumetric conversion to a "weight equivalent"

It does cost that much based on Canada Post  Xpresspost

Canada Post International Parcel Surface ....is close to $110

Some items are not meant to be sold outside of Canada and the US....

-----------------------------------------

This is where I go to find out a shipping cost before I list an item...

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

and then put that value in my listing.....

Message 71 of 75
latest reply

Some countries subsidize their postal service..

while others such as Canada Post, must stand on their own 

The US Postal Service is hurting...  and there will come a day  when everything gets adjusted....

and then people will find out what the "real cost" of postage is.

What applies to the USPS also applies to many other countries worldwide....

There will come a day... where there will be a big adjustment....in postal rates,  local and international.

Like any other business ... a postal service can not continue to lose money...

and if a postal service is subsidized by a country's government....  then who pays the taxes to the government..

People pay the taxes which pay the subsidies to run a postal service..

Message 72 of 75
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

That 24 x 11 x 11 parcel is treated as if it weighs close to 8 kg.

It is a volumetric conversion to a "weight equivalent"

It does cost that much based on Canada Post  Xpresspost

Canada Post International Parcel Surface ....is close to $110

Some items are not meant to be sold outside of Canada and the US....

-----------------------------------------

This is where I go to find out a shipping cost before I list an item...

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

and then put that value in my listing.....

Be careful. You used 6000 (Domestic) instead of 5000 (International) for your 8 kg calculation. It should be 9.56 kg when using 5000 since the package is going to Greece.

Volumetric Weight = L (cm) x W (cm) x H (cm) / 6000 for domestic (within Canada) shipments

Volumetric Weight = L (cm) x W (cm) x H (cm) / 5000 for international (outside Canada) shipments

24 x 11 x 11 inches = 61 x 28 x 28 cm

VW (International - Greece) = 61 x 28 x 28 / 5000 = 9.56 kg

Message 73 of 75
latest reply

I went to the Canada Post website to confirm the cost..  and used 24 x 11 x 11 inches

and forgot about the 5000 versus 6000 change.

Message 74 of 75
latest reply

Maybe that's partly why Greece is bankrupt Smiley Surprised

Message 75 of 75
latest reply