Canada Post May Cut Mail Delivery To 3 Days A Week!!

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/15/canada-post-cuts-could-be-looming

Canada Post has an large amount of debt and is thinking about cutting mail delivery to 3 days per week as a way of cutting costs. I almost 100% rely on shopping online and I know many sellers are already dealing with low feedback because packages aren't getting to peoples places fast enough for their liking. Can you imagine having to explain this to your customers? This is going to be a disaster if this happens!!

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

tobyshitzu
Community Member

they already denied they are considering that

http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=c47870cf-b64b-4cb8-b30d-d8be6fc5840e

They SHOULD do it though, and put everyone super boxes too. What difference would it make to anyone having some mail come one day later?  Certainly preferable to year after year of way above inflation rate increases, and I wouldn't have to go the the mail box everyday

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

That would be for mail and not parcel delivery.

I think this is a good move.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Personally, I favour such a move.  How much mail is actually time-sensitive to  one day turn-around time?  

It would be an efficient cost-cutting measure at a time when most 'departments'  need to cut back. 

i also don't think the world 'needs' stores to be open 24/7.  A little more 'personal organizing' would do the trick.  Same thing for mail delivery.   Special circumstances could warrant special treatment, but for mainstream 'mail' - I can't see why it would make much of a difference whether you get your hydro bill on Monday or a couple of days later.

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 4 of 30
latest reply

I agree with the superboxes. Most newer neighborhoods have them where I've lived. This is the first home I've rented in a long time actually where my mail is delivered to my door. That would cut down on employees as well as their work time since the majority of the job would be driving instead of walking.

Many Ebay sellers do mail things out as a letter so wouldn't that affect them or would it be only the small envelopes that woud be delivered 3 days per week?

Quite honestly I can't say I understand the debt they have as postage should pay for the business. It's not paid for with taxpayer dollars it's supposed to pay for itself in postage stamps etc. I understand the CEO of Canada Post gave himself a wage increase despite their debt load from what I've read as well as handed out bonuses to over 7,000 employees mostly the higher ups. Despite swimming in this massive amount of debt he talks about. I know he claims that mailing letters has decreased but online sales have also increased which should be profitable for them. There's Ebay as well as other large and small companies that ship through Canada Post. It's baffling to me.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Besides, that hydro bill is probably already in your email inbox!  There is less and less actual mail being delivered, due to the popularity of  online billing and email communication.  Deliverydeserves  to be cut back some.

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 6 of 30
latest reply

And if they're making cuts like closing down postal offices and only delivering mail three days per week then what's next?

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

I do get mostly ebills you're right about that. Companies like Telus for example are actually charging 2.oo per bill if you want to have them delivered so I asked for an ebill. I don't get much as far as mail mostly lettermail in large envelopes from Ebay and other stores and packages. I don't leave my house very much and hate malls so cutbacks like this scare me in thinking what's around the corner.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

London Hydro charges $1.00 to get your bill in the mail.

The USPS has either cancelled or about cancel Saturday mail.

3 times a week is good enough for me.

It is disgusting to find out that CEO of Canada Post is giving raises to himself and other executives.

Imo they should be lowering their wages because they are in charge of crown corporation that is losing money.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

I would assume Priority and Express would still be delivered Monday to Friday ?

Otherwise why would anyone pay the extra.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

That would mean less fliers 🙂

Expedited and Express is brought by different carrier.

"It would be totally unjustified," spokesman Sylvain Lapointe told QMI Agency. "The postal service ... belongs to the people and we have a duty to deliver the mail at all times."

What happened to that in June 2011

I remember some folks who constantly kept bragging here how CanadaPost is profitable not that long ago. For all I care they can close completely. They are irrelevant, not needed, bye bye. But who is on the hook for postal employees pensions when they go belly up ?

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

"It would be totally unjustified," spokesman Sylvain Lapointe told QMI Agency. "The postal service ... belongs to the people and we have a duty to deliver the mail at all times."

I found that quote to be quite hypocritical as well because if I recall correctly when the strike was happening they had to cut mail service down to 3 days per week because of the rotating strike and the union didn't give a crap about us then but all of a sudden they do? The union is probably also partly responsible for the large debt load because of that disaster of a strike that they pushed for. Now jobs are being threatened and postal offices may be shut down. What do they suggest they do? They pushed for higher pay and better benefits but now there's a large debt that needs to be paid off. It seems to me it was worth it in the short run but not in the long run. Those better jobs and higher pay they pushed for may not even exist in the future!!

I guess to cut mail service and focus on parcels with online consumers would make more sense. That's where the money's at it seems but the issue is that these workers are in a union so you can't just fire them. There would need to be a severence package and many people would fight it I'm guessing.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

The Post Office should contract the work out to the people who deliver newspapers and get rid of the union.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

They are irrelevant, not needed, bye bye.

There are still a lot of people who need ‘mail’…..not everyone has computers and there are people who do not want them either.

I also enjoy writing letters and most times I write them with an antique ink pen.

The Post Office should contract the work out to the people who deliver newspapers and get rid of the union.

Do they still deliver door to door newspapers? As a kid I had a route of 153 customers. We don’t have that out in the country although you can get a newspaper in the mail, but the news is often old by the time it arrives.

I don't see any real problem in a 3 day delivery though. However it will add to Canada's unemployment and getting reliable people who will work 3 days a week may be difficult.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 30
latest reply

In my rural area, we have daily newspaper delivery service; not to the door, but at the highway, where the mailboxes also are.  I cancelled my subscription last year  upon realizing my papers were piling up, unread, because I had already read the news online, by the time I fetched the newspaper.  I now pay an online subscription ( less than the actual paper sub) for the service, and don't have to deal with recycling a mountain of papers any longer.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 15 of 30
latest reply

There are still a lot of people who need ‘mail’…..not everyone has computers and there are people who do not want them either.

I also enjoy writing letters and most times I write them with an antique ink pen.

It would be cheaper to use UPS or FedEx for those few.

Rather than maintain an outdated postal service.

If you can afford to write letters with antique pens.

You can afford to have them delivered by courier.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Then they could toss the mail on wet lawns while driving by in a car :^O

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

Then they could toss the mail on wet lawns while driving by in a car.

Where do they do that?

I had a paper route as a teenager and we were expected to tuck the paper between the front and screen doors. If the screen door was locked it was supposed to be placed in the mail box.

I delived and an afternoon edition.

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

My paper shows up around 5am and the guy tosses it out of his car window while driving by.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

Do newspapers still have an afternoon edition ?

Message 20 of 30
latest reply