Canada Post Paypal Sales tax?

Anyone know if Canada Post is charging sales tax on paypal labels?  There is no mention of it anywhere when you make the label.  

Only reason i ask because my accountant wants to know if this is the case. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@xtremetech99 wrote:

Anyone know if Canada Post is charging sales tax on paypal labels?  There is no mention of it anywhere when you make the label.  

Only reason i ask because my accountant wants to know if this is the case. 

They charge HST/GST on DOMESTIC labels or International in the rare case the value is under $5.

The tax if it's charged it's shown on the 2nd page where you pay and confirm.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Look closely at the Paypal Shipping page -- the second page you navigate to when printing a domestic label -- right before you hit 'purchase and continue' and it will say something like the following:

Shipping Rate

Small Business Rate: $11.32 CAD
Additional Discount: -$1.40 CAD
Sub Total: $9.92 CAD
GST/HST: $0.50 CAD
Total Shipping Cost: $10.42 CAD

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

But there is no mention of this after you paid for it. So unless i was to write/print down what i paid for tax at that exact time i wouldn't know how much went to tax. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If you were truly desperate for that information, you could go into each buyer's paypal payment and then 'Ship Another' but stop short of actual purchase of that second label. Just mine it for taxes paid data. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@xtremetech99 wrote:

But there is no mention of this after you paid for it. So unless i was to write/print down what i paid for tax at that exact time i wouldn't know how much went to tax. 

It's a problem, It's been a problem since the beginning. I print Page 2 for every shipment for my records because of this sad example of programming design brought to you by our friends at Pitney-Bowes.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

When I print a shipping label I get an email from Paypal which does have the gst/hst info.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Oh, that's correct! I'd forgotten. Any message with the subject: You created a shipping label with PayPal Shipping! should have the taxes paid noted.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply