Canada Post Pressure Tactics with Looming Strike

In addition to ebay, I also work for a wholesaler who mail orders through a retail catalog.  This morning our electronic shipping tooks were not functional and we were told it was a pressure tactic on the part of Canada Post workers who are threatening to strike on the 24th of May.

Just thought I'd let you all know.  I am thinking of pulling my listings until this gets resolved.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

sunnie_girl
Community Member

Yes, my sister works for Canada Pension and the powers-that-be there sent out a memo to get all their clients to get electronic info set up due to the upcoming strike (possible upcoming strike). Any suggestions on another shipping company that is reliable, reasonably priced to U.S. and U.K. destinations?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

and we were told it was a pressure tactic on the part of Canada Post workers who are threatening to strike

By whom? Some sources are more believable than others. Has this never happened before?

There is a discussion of alternates on the Seller's Board.

If you use Expedited Parcel a lot, FedEx has somewhat comparable prices, but watch out for duty on items over $200 going to the USA and over 20 Euros going anywhere in Europe.

If you live near the border, you could use USPS, but again, there are costs to crossing for commercial purposes.

And there are services (bookstotheborder has one in Vancouver) whcih will, for a fee, take your parcels across to the USA.

Personally, I am putting all my Stores on vacation on the 19th. The IDs without Stores will have all their listings ended and reopened when the strike is over-- if it ever starts.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

"Personally, I am putting all my Stores on vacation on the 19th..."

I expect to do the same unless confirmation is received from the union that a strike has been averted or delayed.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thats just great:(  I got 17 low stars during the christmas rush (most of them by the same buyer) and I won't be open in December again.  I am with you guys, closing before the possible strike will give me a little holiday anyway. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

"By whom? Some sources are more believable than others."

We have pick-up everyday at our warehouse and it's the driver who told us.  We also found out the same thing from a Purolator employee.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

What IF?

Management keeps the mail moving...

Happened with the last major Canada Post strike  by CUPW

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Management was going to try keep the mail moving during a labour disruption in the Mulroney era - It didn't work. Until Canada Post has someone like Ronald Reagan as its President ( remeber how he handled the strike by US Air Traffic Controllers?) the unions will probably get most of what they want- evetually.

In the 60's there was a wildcat postal strike in the New York City area. The US National Guard was sent in to handle the mail. The postal workers involved were confident that the Guard could not handle the mail. When the Guard started delivering mail faster than the postal workers had been delivering it the strike dies quickly.

My feeble memory may be wrong. but the last major strike by CUPW was in 1981, and lasted for 39 or 40 days - and no mail moved during that strike.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

"By whom? Some sources are more believable than others."

We have pick-up everyday at our warehouse and it's the driver who told us.  We also found out the same thing from a Purolator employee.

The (Canada Post?) driver may have heard this from his union brothers, but the Purolator employee is passing on gossip.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

In the 60's there was a wildcat postal strike in the New York City area. The US National Guard was sent in to handle the mail. The postal workers involved were confident that the Guard could not handle the mail. When the Guard started delivering mail faster than the postal workers had been delivering it the strike dies quickly.

My feeble memory may be wrong. but the last major strike by CUPW was in 1981, and lasted for 39 or 40 days - and no mail moved during that strike.

I like this story about mail moving faster and wish CanadaPost hired enough scabs and shuts off the union for good. Heck, I am going to write to CP if they would be looking for temps during strike, I will not hesitate to drive to the plant and work for minimum wage. Lots of unemployed in Niagara area, will put up an ad and you will have a crew of hundreds in few hours.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Ain't that the truth.  Lots of people out there would love those secure, pensioned jobs.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Here here to that!  They are underworked and overpaid. The vast majority of unionized postal workers that I have dealt with are lazy, unknowledgeable and rude.

For that reason, I only deal with the franchised postal outlets.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

"The vast majority of unionized postal workers that I have dealt with are lazy, unknowledgeable and rude. For that reason, I only deal with the franchised postal outlets."

SO TRUE! The unionized postal workers also have a big attitude problem, they treate you like dirt as to "why are you bothering me"

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

If you are in the GTA area, Chitchats express runs to the US daily and has an international service as well.

Their new office opens in markham this week and will have USPS flat rate boxes and envelopes on hand in the store as well as bubble mailers at the best rate around.

chitchatsexpress.com

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Good idea but lets see what happens.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply