Canada Post Small Packet Postage Increase January 2006

llee2
Community Member
As expected, CP will be raising small packet rates yet again along with the lettermail postage increase in January. They say that the new rates have not yet been finalized, although all prices (US/international and surface/air) will be increasing by (drum roll please) an outrageous 5% to 14.5%.

Seems inflation hits small packets and Canada Post for that matter, a lot worse than anything else.

Lincoln
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Time to switch to USPS
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Time to switch to other carrier.
Did you know that they wasted million of dollars as they ordered the wrong plastic box (placed inside of your red drop off box)!
they used to empty the letters into a bag, now they placed these plastic box inside, the idea is it would improve efficency.
At a cost apparantly.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I stoped using Canada Post for USPS and the fees are less expensive and faster delivery to US then Canada Post.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

1dealsavers
Community Member
How do you use USPS from Canada??
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

More and more Canadian Sellers are taking their goods to the US for mailing. The savings are many.

If your items can go Media Mail you can save big $$.

If your items cube at a larger weight then the actual weight you can also save as USPS does not cube items.

Because USPS has so many more delivery zones you can be more competitive with your shipping costs. Also Delivery is quicker!!!

Internaional shipping is usually cheaper and quicker then Canada Post.

If you add to that a 3rd party insurance company you can save even more. Mind you even if you use Canada Post you stand to save $$ with a 3rd party insurance carrier.

Michael
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

1dealsavers
Community Member
But you still did not explai how to do that.
Ship your items to the US they they send it for you?
I use USPS in our US office no problem but cannot see how to do it from here cheaper for 10 LBS of less items like we sell.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

You either make the trip once a week from Toronto or you locate a service (or another ebayer) that will bring your parcels to the US for you for a fee. Its not easy to find but there are people who do it regularly.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

1dealsavers
Community Member
How could that ever be cost effective?? Fees and gas would consume whatever small amount you would save.

Sending small packet is same as sending from US without added fees.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I guess it depends on what arrangements you have and how many and what type of items you sell. Each seller's requirements are different. Because I can make use of both Media Mail and the fact that items are not cubed, it makes it worthwhile for me.

You may be able to find someone who is willing to bring your packages for $1 or $2 each.

Michael
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I think that would be a customs nightmare. Going accross the border with a van filled with sealed parcels.

Here in Victoria that would not be a cost effective option. Taking a $55 ferry ride to Port Angeles or a $45 ferry ride to Vancouver then a long drive to the border ... not an option. Waste of time and money to try and save pennies.

This option only works for Canadians living close to the US border and who would already have established tickets/licences/permits with US/Canadian customs to transport numerous different items accross the border.

Best plan here is to do what we all did in September and complain to Canada Post like crazy and hope that they listen to us again and have them NOT increase fees.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

There is at least one business in Vancouver that already does this on a regular basis for other ebayers. As long as the item is less than $200 US there are few problems.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

ab-sol-canada
Community Member
I, think some day I, move from Mississauga to Niagara fall to give cheaper option to US customers but what about Canadian customers BC shipping is still more than US....
Message 13 of 13
latest reply