Canada Post discount rates

electronics220volt
Community Member
I've recently been added to the Canadian powersellers program and have been hearing that Canadian powersellers receive discounts with Canada Post. Is this true, and if yes how do I go about getting this discount? Thanks!
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

auctiondropnship
Community Member
It a big fat lie

Well it is not but I am telling you , it's not worth it

Remember this " Never tell Canada Post you do Ebay " Once they hear the word Ebay , they will treat you different.

It's like they close there Canada Post customer service book. And open the Canada Post Ebay Customer service book
While both services suck ...If will find that Canada Post and the word Ebay will get far less of a discount . Then doing the discount on your own . Through Venture one , or opening a Business account with Canada Post

Trust me on this .....many others on this board have learned the hard way

Do a search on the PS boards ...key words Canada Post
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

auctiondropnship
Community Member
It a big fat lie

Well it is not but I am telling you , it's not worth it

Remember this " Never tell Canada Post you do Ebay " Once they hear the word Ebay , they will treat you different.

It's like they close there Canada Post customer service book. And open the Canada Post Ebay Customer service book
While both services suck ...You will find that Canada Post and the word Ebay will get you far less of a discount . Then doing the discount on your own . Through Venture one , or opening a Business account with Canada Post

Trust me on this .....many others on this board have learned the hard way

Do a search on the PS boards ...key words Canada Post
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

The PS discount I got is 20% off counter rates...I think. They didn't tell me exactly, but that's what I calculated it to be. I'll be calling them on Monday to try to negotiate better to offset these rate hikes they've imposed on us.
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
Listen to OP. I learned the hard way. T0o late now.

Rob
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Actually, I have no idea what my discount is. Rate I just pulled up on the CP site (business side, so including V1 5% discount):

The following table shows the rate(s) for a parcel of 36.00cm x 36.00cm x 12.00cm weighing 1.3000Kg
From postal code M3C2E0 to postal code N1R1G2

XP: $9.36
EP: $7.76

My contract rates come up as:

XP: $6.60
EP: $5.57

Which I calculate to be about a 30% discount off the already discounted V1 rates. I'm not complaining.
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Counter rate for XP is $9.92, so about a 33.5% discount off counter rates for that particular package.

Not too too bad for a contract I got without actually talking to anyone at CP. I just did the online application and they secure e-mailed me all my info a day or two later. I have yet to experience any problems because I'm a PS using the PS discount.
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
My rate before the new price increase for that shipment would have been:
XP $4.52
EP $4.27

As of January 17th:
XP $4.78
EP $4.35

I couldnt survive without my discounts.

Malcolm

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

What sort of discount do you get Malcolm?
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
Javax, any discount on Small Packet to the US?

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

No. Small Packet is a Lettermail brand, not Parcel.
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
javax.swing
I am at a level 3 with CP. This primarily covers all Express Post, Expedited and Purlolator in Canada however if I were shipping more volume with Purolator I would negotiate a separate deal with them.

There are discounts for shipping to the US but we everyone with a CP account gets the same rate for US shipping.

You need to convince CP that you will ship a minimum of 4500 units per year Express Post and/or Expedited to get these discounts.

Malcolm

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

ellingtons
Community Member
OK I'm confused. If its so bad, why is javax getting such good rates?

I've been using the V1 card and have for a long time been debating how to get a better rate. Ive heard about calling for an account with Canadapost, but I dont know. I dont ship many things per year, but what I do sell is usually higher dollar items. 80% of everything I sell is Xpresspost parcels to the US over 1kg. The rest is small packet parcels to US and Canada

Is it more or less paperwork and hassle with an account or not. I dont think I have enough to get a pickup from my home, nor do I think I would want to. I'm way too unpredictable and always on the road to hang around waiting for the postman to show up. Does it mean you can just go the post office and drop your stuff off without waiting in line?

Account with CP, powerseller discount, V1 - is there any other option Or should I just implode? 🙂
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I'm not arguing about my rate, I just followed the steps to get the PS discount. I wasn't expecting what I got, but I'm not complaining since I did almost no work to get it.
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Oh, let me address more of your post.

I use the desktop version of Electronic Shipping Tools. Once you figure out the interface it is extremely fast to use. It will print you either shipping labels on 8.5x11 paper that you fold in half and stuff in a free labelope (sticky thingy you put on the package with the waybill inside) or you can also print on thermal labels which are also free from CP. When you're done, you pay with your credit card, it prints a manifest (which is also your receipt), and then you can either dump the packages in a mailbox or dump them on the counter of any post office and leave...no line. There's a huge thread discussing EST and the OBC in the Selling on eBay discussion board. Link in a few.
Message 15 of 26
latest reply

Le voila: http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jsp?forum=9&thread=100016351
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

JAVAX! 🙂

(Sorry to yell... just wanted to get your attention)

You stated that you just signed up for a contract online -- can you point me/us as to where you signed up? I can't find it... 😞

I appreciate it! Thanks!

John
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

It's on the Canadian Powerseller Homepage (i.e. right after you log into the PowerSeller Portal).
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Cool! Thanks! I'll look into it. 🙂

John
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

dragons_horde
Community Member
So Javex.Swing you must have an electronic scale as well?

This is all so confusing. Some sellers seems so against Canada Post/E-bay program to the point of paranoia.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply