Canada Post light packet questions

Virtually all of our shipments are either light or small packet.

Small packet with Venture One on-line works great.

Light packets we have to do manually. For this we require "O/S" stickers, which we used to get, no problem, from the local post office.

We do up the packages and drop them in a mailbox, with the CN22 form on the back.

They have now restricted this, saying every light packet must now go through the counter.

Anyone else encounter this? Does anyone know where to get a supply of O/S stickers as we have no intention of standing in line at the post office and then spending lots of time having the clerk make up labels for each package (10-20/day).

Xena
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The dealers have no problem giving me a stash of CN22 forms.

The CP office refused and told me I should order all forms and labels from CP.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

terrym5512
Community Member
Any light packets to the US I do through PayPal, and just tape the whole lable/customs doc to the front of the package like an address lable, take my 30 packages a day to the postal kiosk in the drug store around the corner. They are so fast & cheerful there (they don't make a lot of money)

If parking is the pits there, I'm forced to take it to an actual Post Office. The postal guy at the Post Office counter looks at my o/s package & questiones it. Same guy, same o/s. They cringe everytime I go there because they have to get up and move and scan their wand over the bar codes on the rest of the packages. And they grumble because it's too much work. I wonder how anything gets anywhere in the mail, those guys are just clueless.

Such a pain in the butt.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

CN22 forms I can get by the 1,000's. It's the O/S stickers that I can no longer get.

Any light packets to the US I do through PayPal

Hm, never considered that. Is it cost-effective?

scan their wand over the bar codes

Not packages with O/S stickers I take. Where do you get your stickers from?

I might just have to buy labels and fire up the photocopier.

By doing up light and small packets yourself (circumventing the post office) one gets away with overstuffed and overweight packages (10 grams over for Int'l and it's 8 bucks more).

By the same token I have always wondered how CP can correlate what you paid to what you should have paid. They certainly can't look up the order #'s on small packets.

Xena
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

what is "O/S" sticker ?
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

for_baby_and_you
Community Member
O/S stickers are for light pockets.
I also do them through PayPal, you will get immediate discount... sorry I don't remember how much 3 or 4% ?

Kasha

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
At our post office, small packet stickers are the exact same as light packet. Is there supposed to be a difference?

Our postmaster said to just cross out Small and write the word Light!

Susan
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Interesting!

Did not know that one could do light packets via PP.

Just did one. Works great but super slow website!

Thanks!
Xena
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Light packet can only be done through pp.

Not available at canada post's own website 😞

Postal clerks at the pharmacy are very nice.

Postal clerks at the unionized station making 3 to 5 times more money are a pain in the butt; they all think they are doing you a favor every time and try to boss you around 😞
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

You can do all your light packages through paypal
International as well as US.
Can not do CDN must use stamps:-(
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Maybe I've missed something- but CANADA POST does not offer LIGHT PACKET service for delivery within Canada!

CN22 come in TWO kinds- the old small GREEN ones- and the newer larger WHITE ones.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

that's true, canada post does not offer light service, you still need to use stamps.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Our postmaster said to just cross out Small and write the word Light!

Our Post Office and our one other postal outlet never do that Susan. I guess it depends on the employees no matter where you go.

Both postal outlets bend over backwards for me, give me all the labels I need and ask if I need anything else. They said they like to see a friendly face because so many people yell at them. I used to run into some miserable people when the 7 Eleven store had a postal outlet, but they have discontinued the postal service (and I haven't missed them a bit).

Judy
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

gbayemporium
Community Member
I used to make my own OS stickers, never had a problem. Just scanned one and cropped it for use with my own labels.

Now I just use Paypal and drop my mail in a mailbox. MUCH easier.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Just scanned one and cropped it for use with my own labels.

Sometimes, the solution is so easy when one thinks outside of the box LOL!

THANKS!

That is what I will do and save on the cost of buying labels to photocopy on.

Xena
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

I send alot of Small Packets and Light Packets, my CP office just gives me the OS Stickers, and I just load them up in my Printer, and print the info on the same (using Adobe Photoshop, copy the address over).

Since I ship about 20 - 30 a day, I just divide up the country first then the weight, so when I get there he weighs one and prints off the # of stickers needed for that Country and weight size.

He gives them to me and I stick the stickers on myself, while he works on the next load. I am usually out in 5 - 10 min.

Since my CP closes at 9pm, I should about 8:45, I have known them for a few years, so if I do have a big load I even stay after closing hrs.

They makes jokes about how I should just start doing it myself :P Thanks.

Sukh
(Dream About Comics)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Thanks.

Sukh
(IComic.ca)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 16 of 16
latest reply