Canada Post raising rates YET AGAIN!?

autogrilles*
Community Member
We got a letter today saying they are raising rates for packages to the US anywhere from 0.30 to 0.75 per package starting mid-January. Isn't this like the 3rd year in a row they are doing this?

I am in the U.S. personally, but we have a location in Toronto and ship our packages from there. What is going on up there that they need to keep raising these prices considerably every year? USPS is raising prices for the first time in years, and it's about 0.05 per package....Canada Post probably is getting 1.25-1.50 more per package from us then they were 2 years ago. What a joke.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

belldandyrose
Community Member
Every year...the prices go up...

And the sad thing is that we have no choice 😞 😞

And those postal office workers still want to go on strike!!
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

profsportsfishing
Community Member
well the theory i canada basically is the monopoly nd ups on hand has major issues. causing manys to buy from canada now than the states. by the time u pay shipping cost of course dont forget their stupid brokage fees. i had enough i email about charging me 31 for shipping and $38 for brokage for now get this a used item worth 89.00 bucks:-(:-(

now all companies are breaking the nafta agreement whats next
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

now all companies are breaking the nafta agreement whats next

Sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. NAFTA does not eliminate border crossings and customs clearance. The same amount of paperwork (actually slightly more) is required to import under NAFTA as from a non-NAFTA country.

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

profsportsfishing
Community Member
some thing you dont pay duty on believe or not like for instances parts for some vechicles and many other things such as used items. But anyway got nice letter from canada post today stating that there increasing and the ystill remain a number one competitor in the mailling busines. Nice christmas gift to all canadians sellers. I think we should organize a group and approache a different company to get bettre rates.

Dump canada post and watch there monopoly flourish.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

"Even with this price increase, Canada Post remains highly competitive in the marketplace."

Love that line. I don't know if it would be true if they added the word 'global' but it's sure not true for 99% of Canadian exporters.

I'm not a big advocate of state-run industry but with Canada Post having unilaterally destroyed the economy last year for $10 and less manufacturers/exporters and with their current pattern of systematically crippling exports of other items I think the government should have another serious look at them. They're gravely damaging the country’s economy
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

funkywatch_com
Community Member
The canadian economy is not dependent of Canada Post. Imports and Exports through the postal system amount to a very, very small percentage of the trade with foreign countries. I beleive CP has shown a level of openness when they backed down in the case of the changes to lettermail rules.

Anyhow they are in the business of being self-sufficient (they have stopped relying on government monies 20 years ago) and they are making profits nowaday, which eventually comes back to all canadians...

I think we are better off working WITH them, rather than against, and voice out our concerns in a constructive manner. Look at the wide range of products and services they offer. They do not rely solely on us for staying in business, just as each of us does not rely on a single-customer.

I have a much greater concern with the Duties, Taxes and Excise i'm paying to import goods in this country, and the insane amount of paperwork necessary to claim back taxes on re-exports. Now that, to me, is damaging to the economy, particularly my own, but probably that of a number of you...

eric
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

dis-and-dat
Community Member
I apologize for anyone having mistakenly read this in another thread....it really was meant to be here! I'm afraid I need to cut loose on this topic a bit, I'm so frustrated, so it's a bit of a rant. Oooops....so sorry.

OK...Canada Post sucks, I surely have to agree....and its going to suck more!... And if it's so "self-sufficient" why is this happening? "Competitive"....oh puhleezzz.....obviously Canada Post hasnt checked (Or maybe they just don't care) the rates of our nearest Southern neighbors who just happen to be for most of us our biggest competitors as well (Who gain on our profit margins about 15% every year as the Canada Post increases go directly into Canada Posts pockets, or more likely, just come directly out of ours so that we can stay competitive with the U.S. market!)

As for increases they're allowed to place them once a year as per their original agreement. As for not relying solely on us for staying in business, that is true in the broadest sense, however small business is making up a larger and larger portion of the economy right across the board, and collectively makes up a very big portion of their business. However, they tend to be fragmented with small voices, unlike large corporations with large organized voices.

I don't think anyone should construe small business as just eBayers, but rather a part of the economy that grows more important every day, and as such deserves at the very least more consideration that it is currently given. Powersellers should see themselves not as small islands, but part of a much bigger business tableau, and become involved with organisations that can collectively fight for more recognition for small business on a very large bargaining table!

As for working "WITH" them (CanadaPost), you can only do that if you have very volume being sent, to get a contract rate good enough to consider it to be good business (Somehow, it's hard to find those kind of business people selling those kind of numbers on eBay.ca). Although if you're a high value seller (ie. big-ticket values), where the Power Seller Rating is high, you can indeed get breaks with Canada Post.

Strange system....one seller sells a dozen or so things total selling value $5000, sends those dozen items, maybe $200 in shipping costs....another seller sells 80-100 items value $1200, around say $800 in shipping cost, gets an immensely smaller break in shipping costs.

UPS (not the USPS) is planning on venturing into a wider range of mail options in Canada....but they're planning on softening up the market a bit before they come here.....get this...in January, under NAFTA (Yeah....there's that ugly word!!...), UPS is challenging Canada Post (And it's a behind closed doors hearing, of course) under section 13 of NAFTA, I believe, that Canada Post has an unfair trade "advantage" in that its subsidized, especially in "courier" related services.

Now I don't know if any of you pay advantage to NAFTA, but like softwood lumber, to name the most obvious case, the Americans have yet to yield, or lose on any initial NAFTA ruling (Oh yeah....after 7 WTO rulings that the tariffs & duties imposed were unsubstantiated...billions of Canadian dollars already paid to the Americans...and a couple of years later...they finally agree to "reduce" the tariffs...I could go on)....

Anyway, if you think 15% for small packet increase is bad, just wait until next year, (after a NAFTA ruling that will see some of Canada Posts revenues reduced )unless Canada Post applies to the Government to lift it's rate increase schedule (They are only allowed increases once a year), and watch small packet and Expedited and ExpressPost go skyrocketing through the roof, as all trade analysts seem to agree that UPS will win initially.

It's felt that Canada Post really has little to lose as the "specialty services" part of their business is not their primary revenue driver, so they won't put up much of a fight. But given a heavy handed agreement from NAFTA, it will surely affect the overall "profitability" of other services and will likely result in increases beyond the normal structures they use.

Better believe that then I'll be doing a scheduled 1 1/2 drive south of the border a couple of times a week to send my parcels, which are primarily small packets, and would ship for around 30% less cost from the U.S., with a greater choice of services!! Right now it's an iffy proposition to do that, high gas prices affecting that decision, but just a little bit bigger increase on shipping costs and I'll be going south with my mail, and think a lot of business near the border will do the same. Not that I want to...... Just that I may Have to!

I hear rumblings in the Small Business Associations, looking for a system to use small couriers to run mail south of the border. Not sure how that will work, but if Canada Post keeps having a drain of their revenue going south increasing, things could get ugly for them, MAYBE just maybe then they'll listen to small businesses and start to treat us with a little more respect for the amount of money we pour into their pockets.

Most of us can't get the discounts on contract because our item volumes aren't high enough. But put all of us "little" folks near the border together going south to use the U.S. mail system and we'll hear Canada Post howling to bring us back......You think????????
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

funkywatch_com
Community Member
This is indeed an interesting proposition. Living near Ottawa, I am about an hour and a half drive away from a few border crossings. I guess there could be a way to make this profitable.

However I really wonder how this would work whereas Customs are concerned. Imagine arriving to the border with a hundred small boxes sealed and addressed. How would US Border agents deal with this? Would they charge you US taxes and duties to import the goods into their country? Would they start inspecting and opening boxes?

I would need SERIOUS incentives to consider dealing with that kind of trouble... anyone has some experience with this?
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

profsportsfishing
Community Member
well i think this person is right dis-and-dat i couldnt of never said it better myself there is already ads we speak people seeking better service with fedex and ups. As far as i'm concern the biggest mistake ever made in canada history was the tory party that made this agreement. If country cant stand by the agreement than why even sign it. Just like a couple weeks ago the usa sign another agreement for environment. Thats a joke in my eyes but anyways. Promises should be kept and apparently ups is becoming the next power but i see fedex right around the corner with hardly no brokage rates whats so ever. i got scooter in the other day from fedex and it cost me nothing if it was ups they would took my arm and leg. But i guess all depends upon whos selling what. As for small business we are the back bone of this country, and if it was for us people like bill gates that started in small bachelor apartment wouldnt be a millionaire.

Canada post is making big mistake, and like always this is business and like the other person said the yrely on government anymore. Well i like to see another avenue for postal which isnt canada post hopefully fedex.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply