Canada Post refund policies stink!

I had a few claims with Canada Post in the past 4 years, but things seem to get worst with their customer service every year. You have more success getting a refund for a parcel that was lost than a claim for damaged content. I just had a very frustrating experience when they first claimed of not having received my written claim. I waited one month before phoning and inquiring about a refund. I had to file a new claim over the phone. Three weeks later came the written request for more details. I send them the same pictures showing the damage to a antique radio as supplied by the buyer, together with a replacement cost as found on the internet, because actual cost after 45 years was not available on a estate item from my mother! Another three weeks later I was informed that I didn't made my case with the replacement cost - claim denied. As a starter I was lucky that my buyer didn't serve me a neg. during all this waiting time. Second, why do I have to prove a value when the buyer indirectly pays for the insurance cost for expedited mail to the USA? I even pay extra insurance fees for values over $100.00. Any refund doesn't go into my pockets either; it goes straight to the buyer who received the damaged parcel. Furthermore, how would you ever prove the value of an item that was purchased at a garage or estate sale or for any personal vintage item? To be fair towards the buyer do I end-up paying for the shipping damages of any and all insured items? It doesn't make sense!
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It seems obvious to anyone with sense and fairness that the value of the item - the fair market value - is the price that the buyer paid for it. (This works for the CCRA). The fact that Canada Post accepts insurance based on the selling price, and uses this number in its other dealings (ie Paypal/CP shipping) and yet refuses to accept the selling price in an insurance claim is semi-fraudulent. It is certainly ethically unsound. My only suggestion ( a dishonest one) is to deal sleaze with sleaze; when making a claim, dummy up a purchase invoice to represent a reasonable price.
The best suggestion - use DSI insurance, which is around .50 cents per $100. Their payout record is apparently excellent, although I have not yet had to use it.

Personally, I have stopped using CP for anything except Canadian shipments. It is cheaper for me to pay a courier company to take my US and International packages to an agent at the border and pay the agent to take them across to the USPS. Bizzare but true.

Ann
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I'm eager to hear from any seller that had a similar experience with CP. Cause the girl from head office in Ottawa agreed with me that it was impossible to submit prove of value on antique items, unless a expert for that particular classification was consulted before listing the item. Imagine the cost involved spending that kind of effort for all items, just in case the got damaged or lost in transport. The Ottawa girl was very understanding, but of no help at all! In the mean-time I filed for a review of the claim - but was informed that it would take another 45 days! Anyone with a positive spin to this sad situation with CP.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

canextrade
Community Member
Hello Zarzuella, I use CP and FedEx to ship to the US where 99,9% of my sells are. I would be very happy to find out how to get in touch with the agent at the border so my packages also could be shipped via USPS.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply